Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 488 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Time to ask this thread another Netflix question – is it worth watching Marriage Story in the cinema?

To echo others’ reactions, if you can see it in a festival audience then 100% yes go do it. The movie is very funny in parts and an engaged audience is going to love it.

However, festival energy is something else entirely, and if you live in a part of the country where people aren’t cinephiles (aka not a big city) I doubt your non festival audience theater is going to respond similarly. I saw Parasite (a movie which plays great to audiences) in my local festival and again when it released to regular audiences and the responses were different.

All this to say, if you’re going to see it in theaters see it opening night and maybe you’ll be in a theater that makes it worth it. Otherwise, invite a few friends over who appreciate a good film and watch it at home, and I’m sure you’ll like it just fine!

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

Oscar Winners (mid-Nov predictions)

Best Picture: Jojo Rabbit (alt: The Irishman)
    Best Director: Bong Joon-ho, Parasite (alt: Martin Scorsese, The Irishman)

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    Best Supporting Actor: Al Pacino, The Irishman (alt: Brad Pitt, OUATIH)
    Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit (alt: The Irishman)
    Best Original Screenplay: Marriage Story

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are people predicting Jojo Rabbit? I don’t get why it would even be nominated for BP? It’s not beloved by audiences, the critical reaction was fairly divided, and personally imo it was not very good…

Of the films I have seen Parasite is the BP and Downton Abbey is my favorite movie of the year so far, but I have not seen Marriage Story, The Irishman, Little Women and a few others that are considered possible BP contenders. I also think Bombshell is going to be well regarded by academy members…

justonemorething
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw “The Lighthouse” and actually really liked it despite its unevenness. I thought Brad Pitt was great in OUATIH and was fine with his category placement (I know, I know), but am down for Willem to win. The scene where Robert is trying to get the keys and the reaction shot is just his eye was truly incredible. However, I think the film will underperform in total nominations and probably land for certain in Supporting Actor and Original Screenplay. Cinematography, Editing, and Sound categories are potentials.

Also – I think that Song Kang-Ho will get in Supporting Actor as well. I think that “The Farewell” will get in for Actress (not the biggest fan), Screenplay (has placement been finalized), and I pray Supporting Actress because Shuzhen Zhao in that film is one of my favorite performances this year. Also Bong Joon-ho will win Director. This is going to be a landmark year for Asian representation at the Oscars. I’m here for it.

Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher is really amazed by a movie this year. If I did a movie, it would be exactly like that. That humour! That movie deserves to SWEEP all the categories. What a hilarious experience.

The Iron Lady, protector of the GoldDerby reign.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher is really amazed by a movie this year. If I did a movie, it would be exactly like that. That humour! That movie deserves to SWEEP all the categories. What a hilarious experience.

What movie?

Banned for making a fake movie poster

Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

What movie?

The Iron Lady, protector of the GoldDerby reign.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Yaaasss taste

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

We need it added to your 2019 analysis. I assume it’ll be certified Thatcherian.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I am beginning to realize that our taste is much more similar than I may have previously believed, and I’m kind of in love with it. If ESOS doesn’t want the Prime Minister title anymore, perhaps you should take the “Former” out of your username.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

I am beginning to realize that our taste is much more similar than I may have previously believed, and I’m kind of in love with it. If ESOS doesn’t want the Prime Minister title anymore, perhaps you should take the “Former” out of your username.

Ill need Tatcher to watch Luce and hear what she thinks. She hated Parasite which is a red flag for me.

Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are people predicting Jojo Rabbit? I don’t get why it would even be nominated for BP? It’s not beloved by audiences, the critical reaction was fairly divided, and personally imo it was not very good… Of the films I have seen Parasite is the BP and Downton Abbey is my favorite movie of the year so far, but I have not seen Marriage Story, The Irishman, Little Women and a few others that are considered possible BP contenders. I also think Bombshell is going to be well regarded by academy members…

It’s won People’s Choice Award at TIFF, which is a great sign for a Best Picture nomination, it’s generally beloved by audiences (it got an A from Cinemascore and a 97% Audience Score), and Taika Waititi is a huge enough name to generate buzz.

I think Bombshell’s only getting Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Makeup and Hairstyling Nominations.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Willem Dafoe, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll just put this out there, I don’t think Bombshell has to make it in just because it’s political. Vice was satirical in tone and examined a much-lambasted era of American politics (that had time to age about a decade before the film’s release) while arguably appealing to a more male voter base, while Bombshell *seems* to be a straight drama with more conventional, expository storytelling techniques.

I don’t see cynical liberal white men going for Bombshell in the same way they would for Vice just because they’re both political, in fact I would see it appealing to a much different voter base because they’re such different films tonally. So I do take slight umbrage to those who say it’s taking the “Vice” slot.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

Love:
    Parasite
    The Farewell

The Lighthouse

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Like:
    Midsommar

Hustlers

Booksmart

Ad Astra
    Uncut Gems

Mehhhh:

The King

Us

Hated:

Jojo Rabbit

Haven’t seen but want to:

The Irishman
    Marriage Story

Joker

The Two Popes

Pain and Glory

Haven’t seen, doesn’t look interesting:

Little Women

Ford vs. Ferrari

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Bombshell

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol at Thatcher saying she liked Booksmart and everyone forgetting she was racist like a week ago

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.