Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 496 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris Evans stans Marriage Story

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1193947748011302913?s=20

Also says this to Johansson:

I just did see “Marriage Story,” and it’s phenomenal. I’ll be shocked if you’re not showered with awards.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris Evans stans Marriage Story https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1193947748011302913?s=20 Also says this to Johansson: “I just did see “Marriage Story,” and it’s phenomenal. I’ll be shocked if you’re not showered with awards”

Darling, that guy isn’t really liked by Thatcher, but he has taste. Divorcing is winning and the Kramer v Kramer remake is going to fight for the win in BP. Keep denying it.

Elliot Kronsberg
    Participant
    Topics:

I have noticed that in the predictions, After the Wedding is listed in “Best Original Screenplay,” when it was clearly adapted from Susanne Bier’s Efter Brylluppet. On its FYC page, Sony Pictures Classics is campaigning it for “Best Adapted Screenplay”: https://www.sonyclassics.com/awards-information/2019-20/consideration/afterthewedding_consideration.pdf

Also, I could not find a reference, but shouldn’t The King also be competing for “Best Adapted Screenplay,” since it loosely adapts Shakespeare’s plays Henry V, Henry IV, Part 1, and Henry IV, Part 2? It even includes Shakespeare’s character Falstaff.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris Evans stans Marriage Story

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1193947748011302913?s=20

Also says this to Johansson:

I mean.. what else would he say? Lmao

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean.. what else would he say? Lmao

The point is he didn’t lie! We love an Oscar voter with taste.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Time to ask this thread another Netflix question – is it worth watching Marriage Story in the cinema?

To echo others’ reactions, if you can see it in a festival audience then 100% yes go do it. The movie is very funny in parts and an engaged audience is going to love it.

However, festival energy is something else entirely, and if you live in a part of the country where people aren’t cinephiles (aka not a big city) I doubt your non festival audience theater is going to respond similarly. I saw Parasite (a movie which plays great to audiences) in my local festival and again when it released to regular audiences and the responses were different.

All this to say, if you’re going to see it in theaters see it opening night and maybe you’ll be in a theater that makes it worth it. Otherwise, invite a few friends over who appreciate a good film and watch it at home, and I’m sure you’ll like it just fine!

My personal Top 5 of 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4) The Irishman 5) Knives Out

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

Oscar Winners (mid-Nov predictions)

Best Picture: Jojo Rabbit (alt: The Irishman)
    Best Director: Bong Joon-ho, Parasite (alt: Martin Scorsese, The Irishman)

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    Best Supporting Actor: Al Pacino, The Irishman (alt: Brad Pitt, OUATIH)
    Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit (alt: The Irishman)
    Best Original Screenplay: Marriage Story

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are people predicting Jojo Rabbit? I don’t get why it would even be nominated for BP? It’s not beloved by audiences, the critical reaction was fairly divided, and personally imo it was not very good…

Of the films I have seen Parasite is the BP and Downton Abbey is my favorite movie of the year so far, but I have not seen Marriage Story, The Irishman, Little Women and a few others that are considered possible BP contenders. I also think Bombshell is going to be well regarded by academy members…

justonemorething
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw “The Lighthouse” and actually really liked it despite its unevenness. I thought Brad Pitt was great in OUATIH and was fine with his category placement (I know, I know), but am down for Willem to win. The scene where Robert is trying to get the keys and the reaction shot is just his eye was truly incredible. However, I think the film will underperform in total nominations and probably land for certain in Supporting Actor and Original Screenplay. Cinematography, Editing, and Sound categories are potentials.

Also – I think that Song Kang-Ho will get in Supporting Actor as well. I think that “The Farewell” will get in for Actress (not the biggest fan), Screenplay (has placement been finalized), and I pray Supporting Actress because Shuzhen Zhao in that film is one of my favorite performances this year. Also Bong Joon-ho will win Director. This is going to be a landmark year for Asian representation at the Oscars. I’m here for it.

Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher is really amazed by a movie this year. If I did a movie, it would be exactly like that. That humour! That movie deserves to SWEEP all the categories. What a hilarious experience.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher is really amazed by a movie this year. If I did a movie, it would be exactly like that. That humour! That movie deserves to SWEEP all the categories. What a hilarious experience.

What movie?

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Participant
    Topics:

What movie?

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Yaaasss taste

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

We need it added to your 2019 analysis. I assume it’ll be certified Thatcherian.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I am beginning to realize that our taste is much more similar than I may have previously believed, and I’m kind of in love with it. If ESOS doesn’t want the Prime Minister title anymore, perhaps you should take the “Former” out of your username.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.