Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 496 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lighthouse probably won’t take anything, but it’s strongest chances are Cinematography or Supporting Actor. I see Editing going to The Irishmen, sound categories I’m not really sure but I will just go with the expert opinions and say 1917.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe this is delusion, but I think “The Lighthouse” will pull an “Ex Machina” and take one of those tech categories.

it has a shot at cinematography but it’ll be in tough for the win. It has somewhat of an advantage as the B/W old school craft will set it apart from the rest. Atm I’d put it’s odds of a win @20%, which isn’t bad. We might be underestimating it’s screenplay as well for the same reasons but a nomination would be a nice surprise. Too much competition.

The lion’s share of the tech wins is looking like it’s 1917, but there’s a chance that something like ad Astra might spoil the party. Eggers may need a few years to battle his way In, but it aint going to take long.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think FvF is the runaway favorite for editing right now, just because the films with the most editing always seem to win in this category, and since 2013 it has always been paired with at least one Sound award, usually two. With how much critics have been raving about those racing sequences at the end, I think FvF can easily take Editing and Sound Mixing, and maybe Sound Editing as well (but it will have stiff competition from Joker and 1917).

That being said, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Jojo Rabbit pulled an Argo and won Picture, Adapted Screenplay, and Editing. It has very strong editing, especially at the beginning when they intersect the real life footage with the film itself. But it doesn’t have the most editing this year, so I doubt it wins. I’m not making the same mistake I did last year, predicting BlackkKlansman over Bohemian Rhapsody in this category.

Don’t say I didn’t warn ya. She’s the most likely to get a standing ovation when she wins.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Ford vs Ferrari is same as Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Exceptionally acted and directed
    Bit longer than it should be
    A under written screenplay
    Brilliant on screen bromance

I wasn’t able to feel urgency to cheer and anticipate last race as in most sports movie.

There’s a scene in end which resembles Rocky 1 and you’ll understand what I’m saying after seeing it.

James Mangold deserves a BD nom for sure.His direction is strongest part of the movie followed by performances.

I haven’t been as motivated to see it, although I had planned to. You’re positive about it but do you think someone like me would take to it? I can be a fiend for car movies.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  teri.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t been as motivated to see it, although I had planned to. You’re positive about it but do you think someone like me would take to it? I can be a fiend for car movies.

Oh it’s a good a movie,one of this year’s best infact.

Performances,direction(especially),racing scenes are so well shot and you feel that you’re in 60s.

For me it has 2 negative points same as OUATIH.
    -It’s a bit longer than it should have been
    -It’s underwritten.
    -A better screenplay could have provided more emotion and cheer to this movie.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Greg
    Participant
    Topics:

Sooooo Frozen 2 is starting with a 80% rotten tomatoes score and 67 on metacritic… Toy Story 4 and How to Train your Dragon 3 are now the frontrunners.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love for How To Train Your Dragon 3 to win.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe this is delusion, but I think “The Lighthouse” will pull an “Ex Machina” and take one of those tech categories.

Right now I’m only predicting The Lighthouse in two categories. You probably know which 2. I think it’s 2nd in Cinematography, but it will have to beat 1917 to take that, which is a gargantuan task. Only if 1917 bombs critically will it lose Cinematography.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Right now I’m only predicting The Lighthouse in two categories. You probably know which 2. I think it’s 2nd in Cinematography, but it will have to beat 1917 to take that, which is a gargantuan task. Only if 1917 bombs critically will it lose Cinematography.

it might even win even should it bomb and considering the success Midway is showing it’s doubtful.
    This is the master Roger Deakins.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw The LightHouse and Waves today. Now that was a day!

So the Lighthouse was pretty good. This isnt getting anywhere near BP but cinematography and Dafoe are locked. I thought Dafoe was better here than he was in Florida Project. Pattison is pretty good too but I dont think he makes my top 5 for the year.

Waves. Well let me say up front that you should see this knowing as little as possible. I thought it was fine leaving the theater but as I was thinking about driving home, my feelings got a bit worse for it. I feel that whoever initially tried to compare this to moonlight because it had a young diverse cast and a colorful aesthetic probably killed it’s oscar chances dead. This aint Moonlight. Sterling K Brown and Kelvin Harrison are pretty great. But I don’t feel like either are significant contenders in any way. Brown reminds me a bit like Kaluuya in Widows in terms of the effectiveness of role compared to screentime and nom potential. There are only so many spots for non-BP contenders and Dafoe has already got one spot. I got a lot more to say but will wait till more people have seen it.

MrOceanBlueEyes
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love for How To Train Your Dragon 3 to win.

The second one should’ve won too.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw The LightHouse and Waves today. Now that was a day!

So the Lighthouse was pretty good. This isnt getting anywhere near BP but cinematography and Dafoe are locked. I thought Dafoe was better here than he was in Florida Project. Pattison is pretty good too but I dont think he makes my top 5 for the year.

Waves. Well let me say up front that you should see this knowing as little as possible. I thought it was fine leaving the theater but as I was thinking about driving home, my feelings got a bit worse for it. I feel that whoever initially tried to compare this to moonlight because it had a young diverse cast and a colorful aesthetic probably killed it’s oscar chances dead. This aint Moonlight. Sterling K Brown and Kelvin Harrison are pretty great. But I don’t feel like either are significant contenders in any way. Brown reminds me a bit like Kaluuya in Widows in terms of the effectiveness of role compared to screentime and nom potential. There are only so many spots for non-BP contenders and Dafoe has already got one spot. I got a lot more to say but will wait till more people have seen it.

Dafoe’s perf traumatized me. I’m not going to forget it.
    I’ve mostly forgotten about Waves.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Sooooo Frozen 2 is starting with a 80% rotten tomatoes score and 67 on metacritic… Toy Story 4 and How to Train your Dragon 3 are now the frontrunners.

Toy Story 4 has been a lock for years, since the film was announced.

#FreeTheBannedFour

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I totally love Dafoe in The Lighthouse but it’s getting really annoying to see him get all this praise and oscar buzz while the lead of the film, who’s just as good as Dafoe gets nothing.

#FreeTheBannedFour

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

The second one should’ve won too.

Should’ve been The LEGO Movie. One of the worst snubs of the decade.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.