Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 496 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Divorcing really delivered the most compelling performance in the cast. Without a doubt. Sometimes I liked Nose, but he tried too much and Baumbach was really team Nose so shamelessly.<b> The film isn’t even as impartial as it was sold on the trailers. I really ended hating Nose and stanning Divorcing so much</b>.

funny you say that as it is a testament to how good the film is. It proves the point that MS is impartial. People coming out of the cinema half of them sided with Nicole/Scarlett half sided with Charlie/Adam.

Some people were adamant Nicole was wrong and to blame and others insisted Charlie was the villain. Both characters have deep flaws so every audience member projects different life, relationship experiences and relatability onto the characters and that’s where the divergence in peoples sympathies lie.

Scarlett is given more opportunity for subtle acting and Adam has showier acting opportunities hence this distinction means people who appreciate different acting side with one or another.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

The more I think about Marriage Story, the more it shrinks on me. They didn’t really give Adam Driver’s character arc a satisfying conclusion, so they gave him a musical number that’s only tangentially related.

Incidentally, OUATIH and The Irishman have also shrunk on me. The Irishman I would be calling mid-tier Scorcese if not for the final half-hour recontextualizing it as something better, and OUATIH is sloppy.

Re: Who’s to blame in Marriage Story – my answer is the court system. They were getting along well even though they were divorcing UNTIL the lawyers started making personal attacks and power plays.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m starting to get the feeling I’m not going to like Marriage Story that much based on what I’m hearing on these forums, which is a real shame.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

The more I think about Marriage Story, the more it shrinks on me. They didn’t really give Adam Driver’s character arc a satisfying conclusion, so they gave him a musical number that’s only tangentially related.

wow now THIS is interesting because I thought the complete opposite. Charlie gets the better arc, there’s a reason why the film doesn’t end on that performance. There’s scene on the top of the stairs at the end, maybe you thought it was a throwaway line but that entire moment sealed Charlie’s arc and journey.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

The more I think about Marriage Story, the more it shrinks on me. They didn’t really give Adam Driver’s character arc a satisfying conclusion, so they gave him a musical number that’s only tangentially related. Incidentally, OUATIH and The Irishman have also shrunk on me. The Irishman I would be calling mid-tier Scorcese if not for the final half-hour recontextualizing it as something better, and OUATIH is sloppy. Re: Who’s to blame in Marriage Story – my answer is the court system. They were getting along well even though they were divorcing UNTIL the lawyers started making personal attacks and power plays.

Join the Jojo Rabbit and Joker gang Cordelia! We have lots of pie and cookies.

For Your Consideration:

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

wow now THIS is interesting because I thought the complete opposite. Charlie gets the better arc, there’s a reason why the film doesn’t end on that performance. There’s scene on the top of the stairs at the end, maybe you thought it was a throwaway line but that entire moment sealed Charlie’s arc and journey.

Agreed.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m starting to get the feeling I’m not going to like Marriage Story that much based on what I’m hearing on these forums, which is a real shame.

Don’t let comments from others shape your own opinion.

Leonardo allez
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally saw this movie, what an overhyped empty creature it is

It’s incredibly pretentious and self albsorbed movie, it’s clear that Baumbach is really in with himself writing and directing it. It’s pseduo intellectual babble.

It’s completely detached from reality first world white rich people “drama” to the point of being a grotesque.

Performances as the movie are also way overhyped, I’ve seen at least ten better performances from actors and actresses in leading categeories. Neither of them is doing anything extrordinary. The most impressive from ensemble are supporting Alda and Dern.

It’s this year American Hustle, after you think about it longer than five minutes it becomes really clear that it’s shochingly empty movie posturing as something much better than it really is.

atonement
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you should be excited! A film is boring if it’s one-note and there’s only 1 way to interpret it.

What Noah achieves here are so much layers to dissect and although divorce is so specific, the ability for him to infuse such universality means audiences take away different things from the film. There’s this quote that cinema is a mirror and you reflect back your own experiences and that’s why cinema is subjective because no audience member has the same baggage. I think it’s very true for Marriage Story, its introspective and requires to you assess and think about it afterwards as Stephen Colbert just said yesterday.

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally saw this movie, what an overhyped empty creature it is It’s incredibly pretentious and self albsorbed movie, it’s clear that Baumbach is really in with himself writing and directing it. It’s pseduo intellectual babble. It’s completely detached from reality first world white rich people “drama” to the point of being a grotesque. Performances as the movie are also way overhyped, I’ve seen at least ten better performances from actors and actresses in leading categeories. Neither of them is doing anything extrordinary. The most impressive from ensemble are supporting Alda and Dern. It’s this year American Hustle, after you think about it longer than five minutes it becomes really clear that it’s shochingly empty movie posturing as something much better than it really is.

well I respect that opinion. I’m not going to lecture you on why your opinion is wrong unlike some people on here.

What I will say generally, is that I think the issue is because of the hype everyone is expecting big showy performances and meaty scenes. When really the beauty, emotional weight and power of MS is in the subtle nuances in acting and small moments that seem throwaway yet build so much character and propel the story.

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Tea about 1917 from person who saw the film: absolute triumph, marvelous achivement, Deakins will win cinematography and Mendes will win Director, that’s how impressive it is. Leading actors are carrying emotional weight of the movie, wouldn’t be suprised if one woud get in to best five.

very exciting! This years race is so competitive I love it!

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Join the Jojo Rabbit and Joker gang Cordelia! We have lots of pie and cookies.

I don’t think I will (asides from maybe score for Joker), but at this point I don’t really have any films to root AGAINST or FOR. The Lighthouse and Weathering With You will likely be localised to specific categories, and Parasite isn’t really an underdog narrative any more.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think I will (asides from maybe score for Joker), but at this point I don’t really have any films to root AGAINST or FOR. The Lighthouse and Weathering With You will likely be localised to specific categories, and Parasite isn’t really an underdog narrative any more.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. At least we can agree that Parasite is a fantastic film and deserves to win Best Picture. And also that Willem Dafoe should win Supporting Actor for The Lighthouse.

For Your Consideration:

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Tea about 1917 from person who saw the film: absolute triumph, marvelous achivement, Deakins will win cinematography and Mendes will win Director, that’s how impressive it is. Leading actors are carrying emotional weight of the movie, wouldn’t be suprised if one woud get in to best five.

Wow, that’s high praise! Do you think it can win Picture? I think with the right set of circumstances (great reviews, sweeps the technical awards, not seen as just another war movie) it could dethrone Jojo Rabbit at the top of my predictions. Right now I’m still waiting to go all in on it though, since it’s still an unproven contender.

For Your Consideration:

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t let comments from others shape your own opinion.

Don’t worry, I’ll still see it and form my own opinion. But the criticisms I’ve heard from others sound like criticism that I might have too. Then again, I thought the same thing about Ford v Ferrari and ended up loving it, so who knows.

For Your Consideration:

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.