Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 488 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I’m starting to get the feeling I’m not going to like Marriage Story that much based on what I’m hearing on these forums, which is a real shame.

Don’t let comments from others shape your own opinion.

Profile picture
    atonement
    Topics:

I’m starting to get the feeling I’m not going to like Marriage Story that much based on what I’m hearing on these forums, which is a real shame.

I think you should be excited! A film is boring if it’s one-note and there’s only 1 way to interpret it.

What Noah achieves here are so much layers to dissect and although divorce is so specific, the ability for him to infuse such universality means audiences take away different things from the film. There’s this quote that cinema is a mirror and you reflect back your own experiences and that’s why cinema is subjective because no audience member has the same baggage. I think it’s very true for Marriage Story, its introspective and requires to you assess and think about it afterwards as Stephen Colbert just said yesterday.

Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

Finally saw this movie, what an overhyped empty creature it is It’s incredibly pretentious and self albsorbed movie, it’s clear that Baumbach is really in with himself writing and directing it. It’s pseduo intellectual babble. It’s completely detached from reality first world white rich people “drama” to the point of being a grotesque. Performances as the movie are also way overhyped, I’ve seen at least ten better performances from actors and actresses in leading categeories. Neither of them is doing anything extrordinary. The most impressive from ensemble are supporting Alda and Dern. It’s this year American Hustle, after you think about it longer than five minutes it becomes really clear that it’s shochingly empty movie posturing as something much better than it really is.

well I respect that opinion. I’m not going to lecture you on why your opinion is wrong unlike some people on here.

What I will say generally, is that I think the issue is because of the hype everyone is expecting big showy performances and meaty scenes. When really the beauty, emotional weight and power of MS is in the subtle nuances in acting and small moments that seem throwaway yet build so much character and propel the story.

Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

Tea about 1917 from person who saw the film: absolute triumph, marvelous achivement, Deakins will win cinematography and Mendes will win Director, that’s how impressive it is. Leading actors are carrying emotional weight of the movie, wouldn’t be suprised if one woud get in to best five.

very exciting! This years race is so competitive I love it!

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Join the Jojo Rabbit and Joker gang Cordelia! We have lots of pie and cookies.

I don’t think I will (asides from maybe score for Joker), but at this point I don’t really have any films to root AGAINST or FOR. The Lighthouse and Weathering With You will likely be localised to specific categories, and Parasite isn’t really an underdog narrative any more.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I don’t think I will (asides from maybe score for Joker), but at this point I don’t really have any films to root AGAINST or FOR. The Lighthouse and Weathering With You will likely be localised to specific categories, and Parasite isn’t really an underdog narrative any more.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. At least we can agree that Parasite is a fantastic film and deserves to win Best Picture. And also that Willem Dafoe should win Supporting Actor for The Lighthouse.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Tea about 1917 from person who saw the film: absolute triumph, marvelous achivement, Deakins will win cinematography and Mendes will win Director, that’s how impressive it is. Leading actors are carrying emotional weight of the movie, wouldn’t be suprised if one woud get in to best five.

Wow, that’s high praise! Do you think it can win Picture? I think with the right set of circumstances (great reviews, sweeps the technical awards, not seen as just another war movie) it could dethrone Jojo Rabbit at the top of my predictions. Right now I’m still waiting to go all in on it though, since it’s still an unproven contender.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Don’t let comments from others shape your own opinion.

Don’t worry, I’ll still see it and form my own opinion. But the criticisms I’ve heard from others sound like criticism that I might have too. Then again, I thought the same thing about Ford v Ferrari and ended up loving it, so who knows.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Nice! There is SAG screening on the 24th so we should hear more then! lol I had Mendes winning director at NYFC because it would one of last films they see before they vote and they loooove being first.

Profile picture
    Irvin Malcolm Contreras
    Topics:

Because this is a highly competitive year and 8 nominees is not a lot in a highly competive year, lets say The Irishman, Marriage Story, and Two Popes all make it in, that leaves the last 5 spots divided between:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917, Joker, The Farewell, Ford v Ferrari, Little Women, Bombshell, Pain & Glory, and more longshot nomination possibilities with Rocketman, Queen & Slim, Endgame, and Richard Jewell.

Frankly to me at this point, the first 7 films I listed all feel more likely to me than The Two Popes because of Netflix. But who knows, The Two Popes does look like the very standard safe biopic (Darkest Hour, Hidden Figures, The Theory of Everything, Ray) that the Academy loves to nominate. But all of those movies had successful box office runs, which The Two Popes will not have. And it will also be suffering do to Netflix running bigger campaigns for Marriage Story and The Irishman. All of A24’s Best Picture energy is going to be on The Farewell on the other hand. While Warner Bros. is going to be pushing Joker like wild.

Do you live in an alternate universe where Parasite isn’t even a thing?

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Very interesting. 1917 is my Best Picture winner prediction, and this just boosts my confidence. Looking forward to the reviews in the coming weeks!

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

Profile picture
    Irvin Malcolm Contreras
    Topics:

Of course this could all radically change when the precursors start, but I’m 80% sure the Best Picture lineup will look like this:

Ford v. Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Once Upon a Time in…Hollywood
    Parasite

With the following films with a chance to either get enough votes for the 9th and 10th spot or supplant any film listed above should it falter: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Bombshell, The Farewell, Harriet, Joker, Pain & Glory, Queen & Slim, Rocketman, The Two Popes.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Endgame got in at the Grammys. Is it getting nominated at the Oscars?

Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

Endgame got in at the Grammys. Is it getting nominated at the Oscars?

I have it winning Best Original Score. And I have it getting at least nominated for 11 other Oscars, even winning a few.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Willem Dafoe, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

Profile picture
    Irvin Malcolm Contreras
    Topics:

It is getting in for many technical categories.

“Three” (VFX, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing) is not “many”.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.