Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 488 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

If 1917 flops, I wonder what film will replace that slot in prediction lists. What films will get a boost?

(It probably won’t flop, but at this point it’s the only real variable that can change before the precursors really kick in and then dictate the flow of the race)

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Matt Neglia
    @NextBestPicture
    #TheIrishman is the fastest 3.5 hour movie I’ve ever seen. Each hour gets better & better culminating in a final third where it reaches another level of quality. It’s for this unbelievable command over pacing that I have Thelma Schoonmaker winning her 4th Oscar for Film Editing.

https://twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1187698188733616128

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

If 1917 flops, I wonder what film will replace that slot in prediction lists. What films will get a boost? (It probably won’t flop, but at this point it’s the only real variable that can change before the precursors really kick in and then dictate the flow of the race)

Right now there’s at least 9 other very strong contenders that could easily gobble up 1917’s Oscar nominations if it flops critically. I think it will still be nominated for Cinematography no matter what happens though.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

I’m not expecting it to become a big contender but I’m very excited for Queen & Slim. Kaluuya is one of my favorite rising stars and Jodie Turner-Smith is a stunner and imma need Hollywood to cast her in everything

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

If 1917 flops, I wonder what film will replace that slot in prediction lists. What films will get a boost?

Darling, Toy Story 4 deserves.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Deranged Cinephilia
    Topics:

Really? Toy Story 4’s the weakest in the franchise in my opinion. If 1917 falls through, The Farewell becomes a contender, and Joker might actually get nominated (I shudder at the prospect).

Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

(It probably won’t flop, but at this point it’s the only real variable that can change before the precursors really kick in and then dictate the flow of the race)

The Farewell. Hopefully A24 doesn’t mess it up again this year.

Profile picture
    MrGoodWood
    Topics:

At the risk of getting ridiculed, Imma say Downton Abbey.
    I somehow have a feeling that it’s going to get SAG ensemble and PGA, and then sneak into Oscar lineup.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Really? Toy Story 4’s the weakest in the franchise in my opinion.

Its definitely the weakest, but the bar was set incredibly high. It’s a great film in its own right, even if it’s not better than the practically flawless original three (I’m willing to completely excuse some of the first film’s noticeably aged animation since it was the first of its kind).

Also as long as we’re talking about Toy Story, I’d just like to point out that the first two should’ve been nominated for Best Picture, and the third should’ve won.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Deranged Cinephilia
    Topics:

Not Downton Abbey. It’s dull and annoying to anyone who hasn’t seen the show, and even for the people who did like it, they don’t love it enough to stick it on their nomination list.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Richard Jewell

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Succession
    FYC: Watchmen

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Matt Neglia
    @NextBestPicture
    #TheIrishman is the fastest 3.5 hour movie I’ve ever seen. Each hour gets better & better culminating in a final third where it reaches another level of quality. It’s for this unbelievable command over pacing that I have Thelma Schoonmaker winning her 4th Oscar for Film Editing.

https://twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1187698188733616128

Thelma Schoonmaker is the goddess of film editing. She’s done more to revolutionize this craft than anyone else.
    Just on name recognition alone they’ll check off the box next to her name.
    It’s her work which excites me more than any of the actors or screenplay.
    I credit Scorsese for recognizing what she can do and bringing her on board.

ok rant over. lol

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

I’m not expecting it to become a big contender but I’m very excited for Queen & Slim. Kaluuya is one of my favorite rising stars and Jodie Turner-Smith is a stunner and imma need Hollywood to cast her in everything

I think she has a fighting chance to get one of the last two remaining best actress slots.

Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

In my opinion this is one of the few years where it seems like the majority of Oscar contenders are meeting expectations making for a highly competitive year, so their are tons of movies to take the 1917 spot.

Think of last year where we just had critical flop after critical flop. Some with terrible reviews, and some with just mediocre to ok reviews, but not enough buzz out of festivals to get Oscar love. Mary Queen of Scots, Ben is Back, Destroyer, On the Basis of Sex, Welcome to Marwen, Suspiria, Beautiful Boy, The Mule, Life Itself.

And we also had a ton of films that got good critical reception but were not able to maintain any buzz or good box office, or had terrible studio campaigns. If Beale Street Could Talk, First Man, Widows, Leave No Trace.

This year it seems we have a ton of contenders that not only are receiving great critical reception, but have the festival buzz, and campaigning to back up nominations.

The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Farewell, JoJo Rabbit, Marriage Story, The Two Popes, Toy Story 4, Parasite, Little Women, Bombshell, The Lighthouse, Ford v Ferrari, 1917 all seem to be doing everything in there power to receive Oscar love. Even the superhero films Joker and Endgame seemed to have amounted a decent amount of buzz compared to other years. And we have possible surprise contenders like Hustlers and Knives Out with their stellar critical reception (and strong box office for Hustlers already, and Knives Out looks to be a hit). And there is already decent buzz building for Queen & Slim.

We haven’t had a lot of outright critical flops this year compared to some other years, and it seems for every critical flop we have (Harriet, The Laundromat, Sebring), the are two other films with great critical success to take its place.

Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

In my opinion this is one of the few years where it seems like the majority of Oscar contenders are meeting expectations making for a highly competitive year, so their are tons of movies to take the 1917 spot. Think of last year where we just had critical flop after critical flop. Some with terrible reviews, and some with just mediocre to ok reviews, but not enough buzz out of festivals to get Oscar love. Mary Queen of Scots, Ben is Back, Destroyer, On the Basis of Sex, Welcome to Marwen, Suspiria, Beautiful Boy, The Mule, Life Itself. And we also had a ton of films that got good critical reception but were not able to maintain any buzz or good box office, or had terrible studio campaigns. If Beale Street Could Talk, First Man, Widows, Leave No Trace. This year it seems we have a ton of contenders that not only are receiving great critical reception, but have the festival buzz, and campaigning to back up nominations. The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Farewell, JoJo Rabbit, Marriage Story, The Two Popes, Toy Story 4, Parasite, Little Women, Bombshell, The Lighthouse, Ford v Ferrari, 1917 all seem to be doing everything in there power to receive Oscar love. Even the superhero films Joker and Endgame seemed to have amounted a decent amount of buzz compared to other years. And we have possible surprise contenders like Hustlers and Knives Out with their stellar critical reception (and strong box office for Hustlers already, and Knives Out looks to be a hit). And there is already decent buzz building for Queen & Slim. We haven’t had a lot of outright critical flops this year compared to some other years, and it seems for every critical flop we have (Harriet, The Laundromat, Sebring), the are two other films with great critical success to take its place.

I don’t care if I get attacked for saying this but, this year is one of the best in the decade. So many quality films and an uber competitive award season, it’s very exciting.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.