Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 481 through 488 (of 488 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

From what I’ve seen on Twitter, there seems to be a lot of buzz surrounding Kathy Bates and her performance. I’m wondering if she could sneak in that fifth spot in Supporting Actress?

She looked the strongest to me from the trailer alone!
    I could see Hauser possibly getting a surprise Globe or SAG nomination but I feel like Best Actor is too crowded.

She’s the most viable to secure an acting nod from Richard Jewell since Hauser and Rockwell have more formidable competition in their categories.

Profile picture
    Topics:

we’ll see, I still think those will pick Ford v Ferrari over Richard Jewell.

Jewell is thematically urgent and is a memorial for a real person.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Based on these early reactions, it doesn’t sound like Richard Jewell will be a Best Picture contender. It’s getting very mixed buzz and the very right-wing tone might turn off a lot of liberal Oscar voters. Plus the core demographic it’s going for (older white males) will probably vote for Ford v Ferrari instead, since that film has very strong positive buzz and an earlier release date. There’s just too many late-December contenders right now, especially with an earlier awards ceremony.

I doubt Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell will be able to break in for this film, since their categories are so competitive (and as I said before Sam Rockwell will probably be vote split between this and Jojo Rabbit). It sounds like Kathy Bates could still be a contender though. We’ll have to see how the precursors go.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Topics:

Based on these early reactions, it doesn’t sound like Richard Jewell will be a Best Picture contender. It’s getting very mixed buzz and the very right-wing tone might turn off a lot of liberal Oscar voters. Plus the core demographic it’s going for (older white males) will probably vote for Ford v Ferrari instead, since that film has very strong positive buzz and an earlier release date. There’s just too many late-December contenders right now, especially with an earlier awards ceremony.

I doubt Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell will be able to break in for this film, since their categories are so competitive (and as I said before Sam Rockwell will probably be vote split between this and Jojo Rabbit). It sounds like Kathy Bates could still be a contender though. We’ll have to see how the precursors go.

Outside of Joker Warner doesn’t have anything else that’ll penetrate the season substantially. I saw the film and outside the female reporter character most won’t be turned off from the content of the movie.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Outside of Joker Warner doesn’t have anything else that’ll penetrate the season substantially. I saw the film and outside the female reporter character most won’t be turned off from the content of the movie.

I mean, they do have Just Mercy as well, which is winning a lot of audience awards at smaller festivals and has strong reviews. I don’t think they’ll ignore Jewell entirely, but it won’t be one of their strongest pushes unless the reviews end up being really strong. Right now I think Joker gets the big push, and the other 2 focus mostly on their supporting actors (Foxx and Bates, respectively.)

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

I mean, they do have Just Mercy as well, which is winning a lot of audience awards at smaller festivals and has strong reviews.

I truthfully don’t know what to do with Just Mercy or The Two Popes for this reason. Both films have cleaned up the festival circuit prizes meaning that regular movie loving folks (who share more in common with Academy voters than critics or journalists) adore those films. Worst of all, I’m currently predicting neither because I can’t find space for them. Save for PGA, I’m counting on GG to give me clarity since the awards bodies which follow don’t exhibit the same level of populism that the Academy clearly has a penchant for.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Their thirsting y’all SNL1

Sally KirkLo is working hard. Can’t blame her

Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

Let’s continue this conversation in Part 8.

Viewing 8 posts - 481 through 488 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.