Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Hammad Asif
PJ Edwards
  • Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going to be honest, the only reason I’ve still got Bombshell on my top 10 is because I got 100/1 odds for that and I’m clingy. The Big Short and Vice were more urgent and discussion-starting movies than what this seems to be from the reviews buzz. I’m no fan of either, but I respect their niche.

Also, would people be interested in me making a thread talking about the politics of Best Picture candidates, the demographics of voters, and how they might interact? If that’d cause a shitstorm I won’t, but I’d love to have that discussion.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Cordelia.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Parasite

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Designed to be dated? It’s a conclusion to the first three phases as well as certain character arcs who have served major purposes throughout these movies. And how are certain characters “shoved in” when the whole point of the movie is to revive them?

I can’t help revelling in the irony of someone calling themself Scorsesefan defending a Marvel movie in this way after Scorsese’s recent negative comments on Marvel made headlines.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Rewatched Ad Astra

Brad Pitt’s performance in this movie is 10x times better than his performance in OUATIH.

Maybe also his career best work but it won’t happen sadly.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

kanil032
    Participant
    Topics:

Rewatched Ad Astra Brad Pitt’s performance in this movie is 10x times better than his performance in OUATIH. Maybe also his career best work but it won’t happen sadly.

Can’t agree more….

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m wondering if Venir can actually get more than just Yalitza (a lock) and get into categories like screenplay, editing (hear the editing is amazing) or even director and picture. What do you guys think? It’s not unheard of for late releases to do well like that.

#FreeTheBannedFour

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

So its looking like The Two Popes isn’t happening (so far). Missed out on AFI Top 10 and NBR. I haven’t seen it… I’m sure its good/great… it just seems to have a boring subject matter that not very many people (outside of white male voters over the age of 60) would be interested in. The critics haven’t gone for it (yet) and I have a hard time seeing the new younger class of Academy voters who are woke, #timesup and more about inclusivity, diversity and feminism going for this… Especially when those same older voters would already go for The Irishman, Once Upon… or a Ford v Ferrari.

Exactly. I don’t see any narrative for this movie

AmnistY21
    Participant
    Topics:

So its looking like The Two Popes isn’t happening (so far). Missed out on AFI Top 10 and NBR. I haven’t seen it… I’m sure its good/great… it just seems to have a boring subject matter that not very many people (outside of white male voters over the age of 60) would be interested in. The critics haven’t gone for it (yet) and I have a hard time seeing the new younger class of Academy voters who are woke, #timesup and more about inclusivity, diversity and feminism going for this… Especially when those same older voters would already go for The Irishman, Once Upon… or a Ford v Ferrari.

GG will make it or break it.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Donald’s an Oscar voter, we love to see it.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly. I don’t see any narrative for this movie

With respect to the Two Popes, I have it as an outside shot at 11th. I think it desperately needs Golden Globes to stand a chance, but I also think that it and Ford v. Ferrari are fighting for the same slot with the same demographic. I’d only predict one at the other’s exclusion, and whichever of the two lands at GG is the one I’ll have in Picture.

I just hope both don’t get in (or both miss) because then I’ll have to gut check and guess.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

So its looking like The Two Popes isn’t happening (so far). Missed out on AFI Top 10 and NBR. I haven’t seen it… I’m sure its good/great… it just seems to have a boring subject matter that not very many people (outside of white male voters over the age of 60) would be interested in. The critics haven’t gone for it (yet) and I have a hard time seeing the new younger class of Academy voters who are woke, #timesup and more about inclusivity, diversity and feminism going for this…

Actually, the entire film is about representation, with the ascendancy of the first Latin American pope–one who is very conscious about class divisions and the plight of the poor.

And it’s never ever boring. While it may be the two of them talking the whole time, they handle history, politics, faith, and cultural shifts with remarkable deftness (plus a few flashbacks) in a way that is always quite compelling.

HawkWD
    Participant
    Topics:

Is receiving the “Critics’ Choice Seal of Distinction” actually mean anything significant or is it just a minor/paid for accolade. I saw on twitter that Bombshell just earned it.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Is receiving the “Critics’ Choice Seal of Distinction” actually mean anything significant or is it just a minor/paid for accolade. I saw on twitter that Bombshell just earned it.

It’s a large group of Critics tv/radio/film giving Bombshell that award.
    Casts the so-called aversion to MK in a dim light.
    Not significant for Oscar imo but doesn’t hurt!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

It’ll be an interesting and important Globes nomination morning, especially for Drama. The mixed fortunes of Joker, Little Women, Ford V Ferrari, A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood, The Two Popes, and Bombshell will be either improved or harmed by this lot. There have been a lot of precusors missed and yet some hit by these movies.

Outside of a relatively stable top 5 (The Irishman, Marriage Story, 1917, Parasite, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), it has been a shaky year. I kind of like that though – spice things up rather than feed us an inevitable conclusion.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Parasite

Josh5890
    Participant
    Topics:

According to people in the know, those are locks for Best Picture nom: “The Farewell” “The Irishman” “Marriage Story” “1917” “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” “Parasite” So there are two or three spots left.

Its funny how a couple of months ago people thought “The Farewell” would die off. I looked yesterday at the experts predictions and the majority had the film in their lists.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.