Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Hammad Asif
PJ Edwards
  • LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

“Marriage Story” is taking Original Screenplay. What a beautiful script. I wish Baumbach had cut back to Scarlett in the middle and showed the emails as that was a major turning point and why she was so aggressive during the Halloween call whereas Driver got the slow burn of the process imploding. It will come down to Banderas, Driver, and Phoenix – the fight scene and the end scene are incredible. INCREDIBLE. I see Phoenix winning, though. I think there will be lots of support for both Adam and Joaquin, which leads me to think the #3 player could rise to #1 if the camps are equal sized. Joaquin will win GG, BAFTA, and Oscars. Adam will win SAG and CC. I hope it’s nominated for director and in a different year I think it would’ve been competitive to win that category along with picture, but gone are the days of “Ordinary People”. I think either this or “Parasite” wins the SAG ensemble award. On the point of Laura Dern, Nora began with enough difference in tone and bite than Renata Klein of “Big Little Lies”, but that veneer soon fades and the similarities are too strong – still a good performance, but people are right that it’ll be a career win if that happens. I’d argue if another actress was in that role it wouldn’t be so hyped. Shuzhen would be my pick for that category, but I don’t see that taking place. Finally, I think it’ll get an editing nomination like “Spotlight” and the score didn’t bother me.

Initially scrolled through this, caught the word VENEER and thought it’s another one of those Yalitza Aparicio posts. Lmfao

I haven’t seen Judy or Bombshell yet. My personal winner for this is Lupita. But if Scarlett wins, it’ll be a deserved one for an outstanding performance. Brava.

I just love movies. And awards.

asuka
    Participant
    Topics:

Heptapod
    Rami Malek
    jake
    james gibson
    kylieistboi
    Lachienne
    venti

OhJulian
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw Marriage Story last night, what a wonderful movie.

What i loved the most was the acting, because everyone, from lead to supporting, delivered. My favorite performances were Scarlett, Adam & Merritt. I really wish they gave Cassie a little more of screentime (maybe a solo scene alongside Nicole?) because her character was a hilarious trainwreck and seemed much more interesting than Nora’s one.

Speaking of which, while Dern was marvelous as she always is, it was literally Renata 2.0 but with less shouting and  a law degree. If they decide to award her this year, fine with me, but she’s literally having a renaissance and i’m sure there are more meaty roles down the line for her that would make a potential oscar win much more satisfying.

Finally, Scarlett & Adam were simply marvelous. The fight scene, W H E W. The Nicole monologue in Nora’s place W H E W. I’m in the minority, but i enjoyed Nicole much more than Charlie. Both of them would make sensational additions to the Best Actress/Actor line-up either way.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw Marriage Story last night and thought it was great! Glad I wasn’t disapointed by this one like I was with The Irishman. Adam Driver’s performance was fantastic, but not better than Phoenix. Scarlett Johansson and Laura Dern deseve Oscars for their performances. Probably the best acting of any film this year. The Screenplay was greta too, even if it was overshadowed by the acting. Baumbach deserves a Director nom but won’t get it. I’ll have a full review up later today.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw Marriage Story last night and thought it was great! Glad I wasn’t disappointed by this one like I was with The Irishman….

Finally, someone who agrees with me! I’ve been afraid to express my opinion, thinking I was the only one – it was the same situation with Roma last year. I watched The Irishman a few days ago, and for some reason it left a bad taste in my mouth. It was so long and depressing, and a lot of it was the same thing over and over. (I thought it would have been infinitely better as a miniseries.) The de-aging was hard to adjust to and the ending was shockingly underwhelming. To me the best thing about it was the editing and Joe Pesci – I loved him! I can see why he’s winning with the critics.

I’ll probably watch Marriage Story today, and by the sounds of it I’ll probably like it better than The Irishman. Looking forward to it!

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally, someone who agrees with me! I’ve been afraid to express my opinion, thinking I was the only one – it was the same situation with Roma last year. I watched The Irishman a few days ago, and for some reason it left a bad taste in my mouth. It was so long and depressing, and a lot of it was the same thing over and over. (I thought it would have been infinitely better as a miniseries.) The de-aging was hard to adjust to and the ending was shockingly underwhelming. To me the best thing about it was the editing and Joe Pesci – I loved him! I can see why he’s winning with the critics.

I’ll probably watch Marriage Story today, and by the sounds of it I’ll probably like it better than The Irishman. Looking forward to it!

I didn’t dislike the film at all. It had a great story and fantastic performances from its 3 main leads (I liked Pacino the best). The de-aging CGI and ending were great too imo. But yeah, it’s way too long and super repetitive, with a lot of filler that could have been cut. I also thought the constant switching back and forth between timelines was really confusing, and would have liked if there were some visual cue to tell them apart, like different aspect ratios or color gradients.

For Your Consideration

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Ford vs Ferrari is missing out on major lists.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t dislike the film at all. It had a great story and fantastic performances from its 3 main leads (I liked Pacino the best). The de-aging CGI and ending were great too imo. But yeah, it’s way too long and super repetitive, with a lot of filler that could have been cut. I also thought the constant switching back and forth between timelines was really confusing, and would have liked if there were some visual cue to tell them apart, like different aspect ratios or color gradients.

Interesting – to each their own, I guess! And yes, I totally agree with you re the switching back and forth. I think the hardest aspect of that for me was that even though the actors looked younger, they still moved and acted the same as their current ages. You’re right, some kind of visual cue would have helped it greatly.

As far as the story itself goes, I thought it was interesting. (I never knew that about the whole Kennedy connection – that needs to be a film on itself!)

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting – to each their own, I guess! And yes, I totally agree with you re the switching back and forth. I think the hardest aspect of that for me was that even though the actors looked younger, they still moved and acted the same as their current ages. You’re right, some kind of visual cue would have helped it greatly.

As far as the story itself goes, I thought it was interesting. (I never knew that about the whole Kennedy connection – that needs to be a film on itself!)

When the story had a driving force behind it (which in this film was the Hoffa storyline) it was much better than when it felt like it was just ambling. That’s why Pacino was my favorite performance in the movie.

For Your Consideration

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally seen Marriage Story and all I have to say is it deserves to sweep the ceremony. Top 5 movies of the decade for sure. Scarlett and Adam gave career-best performances and Laura was great too – what a tremendous ensemble. I wouldn’t be mad if they all won their respective acting categories (although Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen are still my picks). The script was fantastic, and Noah will rightfully win Original Screenplay. When Charlie was reading Nicole’s letter about him…whew! Someone was cutting onions.

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

I now have my top BP noms as

Bombshell
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite
    The Farewell
    The Irishman

…and of course, my tenth fantasy spot is reserved for Knives Out. Or Us. (Or Endgame if I’m really gonna push it).

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  L Hawks.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  L Hawks.

I just love movies. And awards.

HawkWD
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally saw Parasite tonight and WOW! I think it’s such a shame that the incredible cast is going to probably be entirely overlooked this awards season. They deserve as much praise and recognition as the Marriage Story cast, if not more.

Mickmack
    Participant
    Topics:

I now have my top BP noms as 1917 Bombshell Jojo Rabbit Joker Little Women Marriage Story Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Parasite The Farewell The Irishman …and of course, my tenth fantasy spot is reserved for Knives Out. Or Us. (Or Endgame if I’m really gonna push it).

When was the last time there were 9 BP nominees? I predict 7-8

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

When was the last time there were 9 BP nominees? I predict 7-8

2018’s ceremony had 9 nominees. So did 2017

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Seven.
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

With all those recent nominations it looks like Driver and Zellweger are locks to win. Wouldn’t Driver be one of the youngest leading actor winners in history and Zellweger only third or fourth actress to win leading trophy in her fifties?

In what world is driver locked to win? Best actor is the most competitive category

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.