Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 495 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Hammad Asif
PJ Edwards
  • thesmark88
    Participant
    Topics:

Jojo Rabbit has Adapted Screenplay almost locked down, and will probably win Best Production Design and Costume Design as well, giving it the necessary amount of wins (including one above-the-line) to take Picture as well.

I agree it’s the frontrunner for adapted (regardless of my personal feelings towards the film), but I’m still expecting OUATIH to win in Production Design and Costumes.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree it’s the frontrunner for adapted (regardless of my personal feelings towards the film), but I’m still expecting OUATIH to win in Production Design and Costumes.

Tbh I think OUATIH will have lost enough steam by January that the academy won’t really want to give it that many awards. It will probably get another Original Screenplay win for Tarrentino, but that’s all I’m predicting.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I just came from 1917. I don’t know what those four people on twitter are smoking, but the movie is nowhere near the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. It’s not even on the same level as Dunkirk. I had a few issues with it, specifically in certain parts of the storytelling, but it is not winning Best Picture. I will admit Roger Deakins’ cinematography is exemplary – probably the best part of the film. By the way, Sam Mendes said at the screening they just finished the movie 5 days ago.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I just came from 1917. I don’t know what those four people on twitter are smoking, but the movie is nowhere near the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. It’s not even on the same level as Dunkirk. I had a few issues with it, specifically in certain parts of the storytelling, but it is not winning Best Picture. I will admit Roger Deakins’ cinematography is exemplary – probably the best part of the film. By the way, Sam Mendes said at the screening they just finished the movie 5 days ago.

Yes and I’m the Queen of England. Those “4 people on twitter” minus the obvious Awards Circuit mark are actual critics who are going to give it good reviews.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes and I’m the Queen of England. Those “4 people on twitter” minus the obvious Awards Circuit mark are actual critics who are going to give it good reviews.

I don’t give a crap. I saw it. That’s my opinion. When you see it, you can have your opinion. I’m a guild member who gets a vote. Does that make me better than anyone else? Keep quiet when you have no idea what you’re talking about. I can outbitch you any day so don’t try it with me.

RealLyre852
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m increasingly convinced that zhang yimou’s shadow could end up surprising in cinematography like the grandmaster, anyone who’s taken the time to even just watch the trailer would consider putting it on their ballot

I’ve seen this film and it was breathtaking but I’m not sure if it qualifies for this year, it had its theatrical release in its home country last year (around september).

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

More reviews would give better outlook about “1917”.

Twitter Critics were saying OUATIH best Tarantino film since Pulp Fiction so Yeah they like to hype things.

It’s visible Roger Deakins masterclass as usual but more reviews will give a better picture.

Even “1917” is as good as it’s early reactions.It will need a box office hit tag against it’s $110 millions budget to be a BP winner.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

1917 has a long way to go if it wants to beat OUATIH, The Irishman, Parasite and such. Almost every decent high profile movie is showered in hyperbole after early screenings, and it’s pretty common for a movie to look like a front runner until it doesn’t. It’s way too early to tell.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you Hammad and Foolio, that’s exactly what I was saying about the initial Twitter reactions. They always overhype movies right away. People who don’t like a movie aren’t going to run to Twitter to give their reaction – only people who like a movie do that. I wasn’t blown away by the movie by any means, but there were some people crying in the theatre (for whatever its worth).

I found the movie to be very contrived, in that – like in superhero movies – when you think the main guy is safe then something happens to him where he is on the verge of death, but tada he miraculously escapes. This happens basically in EVERY scene of 1917.

As I said before, the best part was Roger Deakins’ masterwork. There were some amazing shots that I won’t discuss so I don’t spoil the movie, but you’ll know them when you see them. I also loved Thomas Newman’s score.

My least favorite part of the movie was the screenplay. It was gimmicky and contrived. I had the same issue with it as I did with Roma – it didn’t feel like a fully realized story with no beginning, middle, and end. It was just a slice of a whole pie.

Who knows? I could be in the minority on this film, but time will tell. I do see it getting a Best Pic nom, though.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

For some reason, particularly this year there has been a conscious effort to present films as better than they actually are. It’s not been a good year for Hollywood. 1917 is now suddenly the frontrunner because everyone wants to latch onto the thing that has the most hype at that moment (without having seen it). It has a chance though because it’s not like its competition is undeniable other than Parasite which has a completely different set of biases to overcome.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

For some reason, particularly this year there has been a conscious effort to present films as better than they actually are. It’s not been a good year for Hollywood. 1917 is now suddenly the frontrunner because everyone wants to latch onto the thing that has the most hype at that moment (without having seen it). It has a chance though because it’s not like its competition is undeniable other than Parasite which has a completely different set of biases to overcome.

Funny how you mention people presenting films in a better light and say that Parasite is undeniable, when that film might be the most accurate example of what you were talking about.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny how you mention people presenting films in a better light and say that Parasite is undeniable, when that film might be the most accurate example of what you were talking about.

It’s better than the 5 or so films that it is realistically in competition with, which makes it undeniable within the context of this season. You may personally find it overrated but you have to accept that’s a minority opinion. I agree that the praise it’s receiving is suspiciously over the top though.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Payam Kh
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture:
    The Irishman
    Marriage Story
    Little Women
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Jojo Rabbit
    Parasite
    Joker
    The Two Popes
    &:
    (Ford v Ferrari / The Farewell / Bombshell / A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood / Avengers: Endgame)

Best Director:
    Martin Scorsese- The Irishman
    Sam Mendes- 1917
    Greta Gerwig- Little Women
    Quentin Tarantino- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Noah Baumbach- Marriage Story
    &:
    (Bong Joon Ho- Parasite / Taika Waititi- Jojo Rabbit / Marielle Heller- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood)

Best Actress:
    Renee Zellweger- Judy
    Saoirse Ronan- Little Women
    Charlize Theron- Bombshell
    Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story
    Cynthia Erivo- Harriet
    &:
    (Awkwafina- The Farewell / Lupita Nyong’o- Us / Alfre Woodard- Clemency)

Best Actor:
    Joaquin Phoenix- Joker
    Adam Driver- Marriage Story
    Robert De Niro- The Irishman
    Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Jonathan Pryce- The Two Popes
    &
    (Eddie Murphy- Dolemite is My Name / Christian Bale- Ford v Ferrari / Antonio Banderas- Pain and Glory)

Best Supporting Actress:
    Laura Dern- Marriage Story
    Florence Pugh- Little Women
    Zhao Shuzhen- The Farewell
    Margot Robbie- Bombshell
    Jennifer Lopez- Hustlers
    &:
    (Annette Bening- The Report / Scarlett Johansson- Jojo Rabbit / Da’Vine Joy Randolph- Dolemite Is My Name)

Best Supporting Actor:
    Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Al Pacino- The Irishman
    Anthony Hopkins- The Two Popes
    Willem Dafoe- The Lighthouse
    Tom Hanks- A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
    &:
    (Joe Pesci- The Irishman / Sterling K. Brown- Waves / Alan Alda- Marriage Story)

Best Original Screenplay:
    Marriage Story
    Parasite
    The Farewell
    Booksmart
    &:
    (Pain and Glory / Bombshell / 1917)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
    Little Women
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    The Two Popes
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    &
    (Joker / Hustlers / Downton Abbey)

Best Cinematography:
    The Irishman
    The Lighthouse
    A Hidden Life
    &:
    (Ad Astra / Joker / Little Women)

Best Film Editing:
    The Irishman
    Ford v Ferrari
    Little Women
    &:
    (Marriage Story / Jojo Rabbit / The Two Popes)

Best Original Score:
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    The Farewell
    Cats
    &:
    (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker / Joker / Jojo Rabbit)

Best Sound Editing:
    Ford v Ferrari
    Ad Astra
    Avengers: Endgame
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    &:
    (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood / The Irishman / Joker)

Best Sound Mixing:
    Ford v Ferrari
    Ad Astra
    Rocketman
    Cats
    &:
    (Avengers: Endgame / Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker / Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

Best Production Design:
    Cats
    Little Women
    The Irishman
    &:
    (Jojo Rabbit / Ad Astra / Downton Abbey)

Best Costume Design:
    Little Women
    Downton Abbey
    Cats
    The Irishman
    &:
    (Dolemite Is My Name / Rocketman / Judy)

Best Makeup & Hairstyling:
    Bombshell
    Joker
    Judy
    Rocketman
    &:
    (The Irishman / Downton Abbey / Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)

Best Visual Effects:
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    The Lion King
    The Irishman
    Ad Astra
    &:
    (Alita: Battle Angel / Cats / Gemini Man)

Best Animated Feature:
    Toy Story 4
    How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
    Weathering with You
    Frozen II
    I Lost My Body
    &:
    (The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part / Klaus / Abominable)

Best International Feature:
    Parasite (South Korea)
    Pain and Glory (Spain)
    Beanpole (Russia)
    Les Misérables (France)
    Atlantics (Senegal)
    &:
    (Honeyland (North Macedonia) / Monos (Monos) / Out Stealing Horses (Norway))

Jus
    Participant
    Topics:

my god, do I agree with this statment. I know it may sound like I’m some debbie downer who hates everything (I’m not, I’m a very kind viewer), but I do feel that now, more than ever those “instant” reactions often feel so..calculated. I’m not even talking about 1917, because I’m really looking forward to this movie, but it’s just a general feeling.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s better than the 5 or so films that it is realistically in competition with, which makes it undeniable within the context of this season. You may personally find it overrated but you have to accept that’s a minority opinion. I agree that the praise it’s receiving is suspiciously over the top though.

The irony when you present a statement that is in the minority of every movie mentioned except of course your favorite.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.