Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 495 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Hammad Asif
PJ Edwards
  • Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

The irony when you present a statement that is in the minority of every movie mentioned except of course your favorite.

Parasite isn’t my favourite film of the year (not even in my top 5), and as I implied in the comment you quoted I think the praise it’s getting is also exaggerated and calculated. You’re reading into my motives way too much. I just think that it’s more complex than the other films that can win (which is a small group), is executed well and is more refreshing.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

I’ve seen this film and it was breathtaking but I’m not sure if it qualifies for this year, it had its theatrical release in its home country last year (around september).

it got a north american theatrical run in may this year which I believe makes it qualified

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

You definitely haven’t been saying that. You’ve been saying Jojo Rabbit or Marriage Story are gonna win.

Darling, I said it even before I thought Jojo Rubbish or Miscarriage Story were frontrunners.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    justonemorething
    Topics:

Speaking of Jojo Rabbit, it was charming but hardly an Oscar competitor. Roman Griffin Davis was the best thing about it (rooting for a Golden Globes nomination – which surely won’t occur). Scarlett was good and fine, but nothing amazing – same with Rockwell. The only above the line category I think it’d belong in is adapted screenplay. Due to the audience award win I fear that people will hype it up to continue the trajectory of that being a weighty precursor.

Profile picture
    Hector Raskolnikov
    Topics:

My bold prediction of the season: Todd Phillips will be nominated for best director.

After the legend Michael Mann wrote a fucking letter praising Joker and Phillips, I’ve been thinking about this and realized that some relevant and influential artists expressed their admiration for the movie: Lucrecia Martel, Taylor Hackford, Michael Moore, Greta Gerwig, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Sean Baker, Jessica Chastain, Josh Brolin… This could mean nothing in terms of awards (after all, I only cited 8 people, lol)? Sure, but it’s undeniable the strong support for Joker exists among relevant artist (people who are member of The Academy, by the way), and it’s remarkable. Hell, even among critics (who supposed hates Joker), Phillips was ranked in second for best director in Toronto this year, only behind Bong Joon Ho.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

I don’t know, it’s a feeling … I just have the impression that the movie is more loved than we think in the industry. And I can’t help but think about the famous “silent majority” of the Academy. This silent majority seems likes to send a “fuck you critics”, as we saw with Green Book and Bohemian Raphsody last year. This controversy about Joker being too dangerous and violent seems to me that, in the end, it will contribute more positively than negatively for the film (The biggest reason for this is that, well … No massacre or violence happened because of the movie, wichs makes this controversy seems fabricated by the media).

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

First Little Women review is a 63. We should get reviews for both 1917 and Little Women today.

Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

Little Women has a 91 on Metacritic now with 14 reviews. The only mixed review is from Screen Daily. Way better start than I expected.

Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

I watched Klaus on Netflix. It is a cute little film and a good film to start the Christmas season, but it is not great. Some off putting pop song choices and plenty of jokes fall flat.

I could see it earning a slot for Best Animated Film from the animation branch though. The 2D animation style is the films strong aspect, and is very unique and unlike any feature length animation I have seen (it somewhat reminded me of the Disney shorts Paperman and Feast).

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Saw a double feature yesterday…

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

This movie surprised me. I thought it was going to be just ok or meh… I wasn’t too big of a fan of the director’s last film. This had a strong script, direction and acting, both from lead Matthew Rhys and Tom Hanks. It’s definitely heartwarming and I think it will win over voters. Having seen this and “front runner” Brad Pitt’s performance in OUATIH, I don’t see how Tom Hanks could lose the Supporting Actor Oscar to him. Hanks was born to play Mr. Rogers and just knocks it out of the park.

I predict noms for Best Picture, Supporting Actor and Screenplay.

Waves

I thought I would love this more than I did. It was still a good film, but it was kind of messy with the narrative and all over the place with its style and mood. The best way I could describe the film is the TV series Euphoria meets a Terrance Malick film… I guess? The strongest aspect of this film was its acting. Everyone in the ensemble shines. The biggest MVP is newcomer Taylor Russell. I mean… what a revelation! A Star is Born moment for sure. She NEEDS to be in the conversation for Best Supporting Actress this year! Unfortunately because of her age and the film being independent, I don’t really see that happening. I do hope critics get behind her though and shed some light on her.

The strongest Oscar shot would be for Supporting Actor for Sterling K Brown, who would be worthy of a nom in my opinion. He gives a complicated performance and delivers. In a perfect world, both he and Taylor Russell would end up with Supporting noms.

Maybe an outside shot at Sound editing or Cinematography?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by 24fanatic.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by 24fanatic.
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I wonder if Academy would break their no Netflix bias if the season went down like this:

GG Drama – Irishman
    GG Comedy – Once Upon a Time…
    BFCA – Irishman
    SAG – Marriage Story
    PGA – Irishman
    DGA – 1917
    BAFTA – 1917

So many so called “rules” and “stats” this season are about to get broken either way.

Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

I saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, would be shocked if Tom Hanks is snubbed for Best Supporting Actor for this performance. He is charming as hell and magnetic everytime he is own screen.

I loved the film, but I don’t see it playing well in Picture/Director, I think it leans a little heavy on if you already are familiar with Mr. Rogers and love the man. I don’t know it is going to have the same emotional impact on somebody who has very little knowledge of Mr. Rogers.

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

Picture- Parasite
    Director- Mendes, 1917
    Actor- Phoenix, Joker
    Actress- Zellweger, Judy
    S. Actor- Pacino, The Irishman
    S. Actress- Dern, Marriage Story
    O. Screenplay- Parasite
    A. Screenplay- The Irishman
    Editing- Ford v. Ferrari
    Cinematography- 1917
    Production Design- Jojo Rabbit
    Costume Design- Little Women
    Make up/hair- Bombshell
    International Film- Parasite
    Sound Editing- 1917
    Sound Mixing- 1917
    Score- 1917
    VFX- The Irishman

I think they’re spreading the wealth for the most part.

Wins
    1917- 5
    Parasite- 3
    The Irishman- 3
    Jojo Rabbit- 1
    Little Women- 1
    Marriage Story- 1
    Bombshell- 1
    Joker- 1
    Judy- 1
    Ford v. Ferrari- 1

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Picture- Parasite Director- Mendes, 1917 Actor- Phoenix, Joker Actress- Zellweger, Judy S. Actor- Pacino, The Irishman S. Actress- Dern, Marriage Story O. Screenplay- Parasite A. Screenplay- The Irishman Editing- Ford v. Ferrari Cinematography- 1917 Production Design- Jojo Rabbit Costume Design- Little Women Make up/hair- Bombshell International Film- Parasite Sound Editing- 1917 Sound Mixing- 1917 Score- 1917 VFX- The Irishman I think they’re spreading the wealth for the most part. Wins 1917- 5 Parasite- 3 The Irishman- 3 Jojo Rabbit- 1 Little Women- 1 Marriage Story- 1 Bombshell- 1 Joker- 1 Judy- 1 Ford v. Ferrari- 1

I agree with a lot of this, and I think assessing this will be a wealth-spreading year is a smart call.

My biggest disagreement is the BP/Director situation. I honestly think Parasite in Director/1917 in Picture is a likelier outcome than the inverse. Best Director is a branch that has a LOT of international membership, and Bong will get that support. I understand the argument for 1917 in director (the whole technological feat, a return for a previous Best Director winner), but to me Parasite has the passion and the support.

Meanwhile, in Best Picture, Parasite faces one big barrier. To put it simply, no foreign-language film has won Best Picture. Roma, with a previous Best Director winner and being the big Netflix push, couldn’t in a weaker year than this. Parasite is a more crowd-pleasing, accessible film, but it still has that barrier. In the preferential ballot, there is a possibility of a lot of low rankings from people that will refuse to watch the movie. Is that bullshit? Yes. But is that a possibility? Sadly.

Other factors that are in Parasite’s way are the politics of the film (which, while not necessarily demonising rich or poor people, definitely has some harsh things to say about upper-class ignorance and lower-class infighting), the fact that South Korea has never even gotten a Best International Film nomination, Neon’s weaknesses as a promoter (let us not forget I, Tonya missing a potential Best Picture nomination), and not being this big blockbuster.

I say these not as criticisms of the film, which is my favourite film of the year. I say these as factors that will get in the way of the Academy embracing this as the masterpiece it is.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

TIME’s 10 Best Movie Performances of 2019

1. Antonio Banderas, Pain & Glory

2. Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers

3. Adam Driver, Marriage Story

4. Taylor Russell, Waves

5. Matthias Schoenaerts, The Mustang

6. Renée Zellweger, Judy

7. Joe Pesci, The Irishman

8. Margot Robbie, Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood

9. Eddie Murphy, Dolemite Is My Name

10. Kristen Stewart, Seberg

TIME’s 10 Best Movies of 2019

1. Pain & Glory

2. The Irishman

3. Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

4. Marriage Story

5. Little Women

6. Parasite

7. Knives Out

8. Dolemite Is My Name

9. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

10. Hustlers

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

TIME’s 10 Best Movie Performances of 2019

Parasite in 6th? What a joke! LOL

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.