Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Who are we underestimating?

2020 Oscar Predictions: Who are we underestimating?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
LLLhawks
MMartin
JackO
  • Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

The Painted Bird is harrowing with a hefty running time but I think it has a real shot at an International Film nomination. Being in black-and-white could set it apart in voters’ minds from the other two WWII-themed films on the shortlist, Beanpole and Those Who Remained, and those brave enough to stomach it will be very passionate about it.

It took me three years to finish the Kosinski novel. I passed on the chance to see this But, feel that I will soon enough.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The2ndAvenger
    Topics:

I don’t predict any of these happening, but wouldn’t be shocked as others might be if they did: George MacKay for Best Actor (1917 – this, in particular, I would like to see), Felicity Jones for Best Actress (The Aeronauts), possibly Endgame for Best Picture.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Felicity Jones for Best Actress (The Aeronauts

Darling, stop the disgusting delusion. Not even Felicity’s mother watched that movie.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

We’re probably underestimating everything that comes out later in the year…

A Hidden Life – possible surprise Directing nom?

Just Mercy – Jamie Foxx… maybe even Michael B Jordan if it becomes a surprise box office smash?

Little Women – Received great reviews, but bc screeners were late to SAG and no Globes love, we are now underestimating.

Clemency – maybe enough members will have seen it to surprise in Actress and Screenplay? I mean… it did come out in Sundance last January.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire – potential Directing nom?

Honey Boy – There’s a campaign for it so you never know. Actors might rally behind Shia for a nom in one of 2 categories he’s eligible in.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood – I think it’s being underestimated in that it could score a Picture nom. It pulls at the heartstrings like Green Book did last year. I can see voters going for it and Hanks.

The Farewell – It could surprise noms: Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chimichanggas
    Topics:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire – potential Directing nom?

Nope. Cinematography is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

Ford v. Ferrari in general.

Us in Actress and Score.

Egerton in Actor.

Knock Down the House in Documentary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Problemchild
    Topics:

Song Kang-Ho, Parasite
    Jamie Foxx, Just Mercy
    Taron Egerton, Rocketman
    Lupita Nyong’o, Us
    Eddie Murphy, Dolemite is My Name

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

I could see Weathering With You get a animation nod.

I think if the Academy really likes Bombshell then Lithgow could get into Supporting Acting. Seems like the type of role the Academy loves.

I see a lot of people saying Lupita, but I feel like most people are predicting her for a nomination, especially after a SAG nomination and all the critics wins. I will be surprised if she gets left out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Lupita Nyong’o (Us), Alfre Woodard (Clemency) and Taron Edgerton (Rocketman). Definitely these three. I would also say Jamie Foxx (Just Mercy), Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen (The Farewell)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Nicole Kidman

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chfrik
    Topics:

Fernanda Montenegro in supp actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Taron & Eddie in Best Actor
    Hustlers and Booksmart in Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I don’t predict any of these happening, but wouldn’t be shocked as others might be if they did: George MacKay for Best Actor (1917 – this, in particular, I would like to see), Felicity Jones for Best Actress (The Aeronauts), possibly Endgame for Best Picture.

lol nope. none of these are happening. Especially Felicity Jones in that flop and Endgame. MacKay could have gotten a BAFTA nom but looks like Pryce and Taron are more likely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

Don’t underestimate Lupita and Taron! They have  hit every nom except Lupita at the Globes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Nope. Cinematography is.

And perhaps Costumes? I get that there aren’t actually that many costumes in it but a lot of it has to do with the textural attention to the rather gorgeous dresses and literally representing them artistically, and it’s not past this branch to go for French period films.

If Pain and Glory can get Director, Actor, Screenplay, and Score in addition to International, an actual Picture nomination isn’t inconceivable. I feel like people are watching it more than a lot of attempted contenders and has some passionate supporters.

In the Music branch, Britell seems to have been fully accepted as a member of the club. And Daniel Pemberton seems to have shown up in enough places to not just be a coincidence and could make Motherless Brooklyn a two-time Oscar nominee.

The documentary Midnight Family is really playing well under the radar in a way that reminds me of Hale County last year. Could replace something like Apollo 11, One Child Nation or The Cave.

Song Kang-ho does seem reminiscent of de Tavira last year but people seem to be taking his chances more seriously than hers. And people were DEFINITELY underestimating Lupita and Taron before the season started, but I don’t think they really are anymore. They’re at least firm top 7 contenders. One person who seems to be inspiring nearly unanimous warmth and affection seems to be Eddie Murphy compared to how his chances are perceived. Netflix would be wise to prioritize him over Pryce.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.