Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions

2020 Oscar Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 672 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
ospencer
KEllis
O´Hara
  • Noah Arlington
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m a big fan of Timmy but I think we’re being overly optimistic about “The King” being a 2020 contender. I’ll reserve my judgement until we see some footage next year but, I know that the track record for these niche films aren’t that great. Macbeth had great cast, cinematography and performances but failed to deliver…..we’ll see if Netflix can pull this off.

I see what you mean but unlike “Macbeth”, “The King” has a solid team behind it with Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Brad Pitt producing. They’ve been responsible for other successful films like Moonlight, The Big Short, 12 Years A Slave and The Tree of Life. They are also producers of potential 2019 contenders like Backseat, If Beale Street Could Talk, Ad Astra and Beautiful Boy.

DaKardii
    Participant
    Topics:

UPDATED PREDICTIONS

BEST PICTURE

• The Goldfinch
    • The Irishman
    • The Kitchen
    • The Last Thing He Wanted
    • The Laundromat
    • Little Women
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Radioactive
    • Toni Erdmann
    • Us

BEST DIRECTOR

• Andrea Berloff- The Kitchen
    • Greta Gerwig- Little Women
    • Jordan Peele- Us
    • Martin Scorsese- The Irishman
    • Quentin Tarantino- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

BEST ACTOR

• Robert De Niro- The Irishman
    • Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Ansel Elgort- The Goldfinch
    • Gary Oldman- The Laundromat
    • Sam Reilly- Radioactive

BEST ACTRESS

• Elisabeth Moss- The Kitchen
    • Lupita Nyong’o- Us
    • Rosamund Pike- Radioactive
    • Saoirse Ronan- Little Women
    • Meryl Streep- The Laundromat

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

• Winston Duke- Us
    • James Marsden- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Al Pacino- The Irishman
    • Joe Pesci- The Irishman
    • Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

• Dakota Fanning- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Tiffany Haddish- The Kitchen
    • Elisabeth Moss- Us
    • Anna Paquin- The Irishman
    • Margot Robbie- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

• The Kitchen
    • The Laundromat
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Untitled Lucille Ball Biopic
    • Us

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

• The Goldfinch
    • The Irishman
    • The Last Thing He Wanted
    • Little Women
    • Toni Erdmann
    DaKardii
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^

I’m going to have to change this prediction again if one of the following two films are slated for a 2019 release:

• Tolkien
    • The Starling

Both films are being directed by Finnish director Dome Karukoski, who has moved into directing American films after the critical success of his previous (Finnish-language) film, Tom of Finland.

Right now Tolkien is well into post-production and can still have a 2018 release, but there appear to be problems in the editing and distributing process, and a release push-back to 2019 is becoming increasingly likely.

Once Tolkien is released, I can easily see Oscar campaigns for Best Actor (Nicholas Hoult), Best Supporting Actor (Tom Glynn-Carney), Best Supporting Actor (Craig Roberts), and Best Supporting Actress (Lily Collins).

If Tolkien is released this year, then we need to start talking about The Starling (if not, we can postpone that talk at least until the “2021 Oscar Predictions” thread is created). Right now, that film is in pre-production, but can easily start filming this fall and be ready for an Awards Season 2019 release if things go right with Tolkien.

Once The Starling is released, I can easily see Oscar campaigns for Best Actor (Keanu Reeves), Best Supporting Actress (Isla Fisher), and one of the Supporting Acting categories for whoever plays the veterinarian character.

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are my updated predictions, listed in order of the likelihood of winning as always.

Picture

Us
    The Kitchen
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    The Irishman
    The Laundromat
    The Woman in the Window
    Little Women
    The Roger Ailes Story
    Radioactive
    Toni Erdmann

(The Goldfinch
    I Almost Forgot About You
    Judy
    Cats
    The New Gods
    Seducing Ingrid Bergman
    The King
    The Lucille Ball Story
    Bond 25
    JoJo Rabbit)

Director

Jordan Peele, Us
    Andrea Berloff, The Kitchen
    Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Lisa Chodolenko, Toni Erdmann
    Marjane Satrapi, Radioactive

(Steven Soderbergh, The Laundromat
    Greta Gerwig, Little Women
    Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
    Joe Wright, The Woman in the Window
    John Crowley, The Goldfinch)

Actress

Lupita Nyong’o, Us
    Viola Davis, I Almost Forgot About You
    Cate Blanchett, The Lucille Ball Story
    Amy Adams, The Woman in the Window
    Meryl Streep, The Laundromat

(Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
    Kate Winslet, The Lee Miller Story
    Rosamund Pike, Radioactive
    Jessica Chastain, Seducing Ingrid Bergman
    Renee Zellweger, Judy)

Actor

Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Robert De Niro, The Irishman
    Jack Nicholson, Toni Erdmann
    Timothee Chalamet, The King
    Gary Oldman, The Laundromat

(Sam Reilly, Radioactive
    ?, The Roger Ailes Story
    Jesse Plemons, The Irishman
    Ansel Elgort, The Goldfinch)

Supporting Actress

Margot Robbie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Tiffany Haddish, The Kitchen
    Cate Blanchett, Where’d You Go Bernadette
    Charlize Theron, The Roger Ailes Story
    Elisabeth Moss, Us

(Julianne Moore, The Woman in the Window
    Nicole Kidman, The Goldfinch
    Dakota Fanning, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Meryl Streep, Little Women
    Jennifer Hudson, Cats)

Supporting Actor

Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Winston Duke, Us
    Sam Rockwell, JoJo Rabbit
    Al Pacino, The Irishman
    Aneurin Barnard, The Goldfinch

(Timothee Chalamet, Little Women
    James Marsden, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Michael Keaton, Dumbo
    Antonio Banderas, The Laundromat
    Robert Pattinson, The King)

Adapted Screenplay

The Irishman
    I Almost Forgot About You
    Where’d You Go Bernadette
    Radioactive
    The Woman in the Window

(Toni Erdmann Remake
    The Goldfinch
    Little Women
    Dumbo
    The King)

Original Screenplay

Us
    The Kitchen
    The Laundromat
    JoJo Rabbit

(Seducing Ingrid Bergman
    The Roger Ailes Story
    Janis
    The Lucille Ball Story
    Bond 25)

Editing

Us
    The Irishman
    The Turning
    The Roger Ailes Story

(Radioactive
    Dumbo
    The King
    The Lucille Ball Story
    Bond 25)

Special effects

Dumbo
    The New Gods
    The Lion King
    Wonder Woman 2
    Bond 25

(Cats
    The Turning)

Hair and makeup

The Lion King
    Cats
    The New Gods
    Dumbo
    Ma

(Janis
    The Lucille Ball Story
    Judy
    Wonder Woman 2
    The Goldfinch)

Costume design

The New Gods
    Cats
    The Irishman
    Dumbo
    The King

(Little Women
    The Lucille Ball Story
    Janis
    Judy
    The Lion King)

Score

Cats
    In the Heights
    The Lion King
    The Irishman

(Bond 25
    The New Gods
    Dumbo
    Rocketman
    Janis)

Song

The Lion King
    Bond 25
    Frozen 2
    Dumbo
    Cats

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Sneak peak look at Natalie Portman in Pale Blue Dot.

She’s coming for nomination #4 (and win #2)!

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

more like her Amelia

O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

Sneak peak look at Natalie Portman in Pale Blue Dot.

God,I need this to happen.Even more when I think about how she was robbed for Jackie

DaKardii
    Participant
    Topics:

So, it was just announced that Carrie Fisher will be in Star Wars: Episode IX despite the film being released three years after her death. Apparently, there’s enough unused footage of her from The Force Awakens to give Leia a meaningful storyline in Episode IX.

If the film’s good, expect there to be a serious push for a posthumous Best Supporting Actress nomination for Fisher.

PerksofBeingaGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

So, it was just announced that Carrie Fisher will be in Star Wars: Episode IX despite the film being released three years after her death. Apparently, there’s enough unused footage of her from The Force Awakens to give Leia a meaningful storyline in Episode IX. If the film’s good, expect there to be a serious push for a posthumous Best Supporting Actress nomination for Fisher.

I don’t see her being in it more than 10 minutes. It’s probably a peaceful and beautiful goodbye set up for her to honor her.  I think they’re doing it more so they don’t have to address her death being off screen or digitalize her etc.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

DaKardii
    Participant
    Topics:

So, it was just announced that Carrie Fisher will be in Star Wars: Episode IX despite the film being released three years after her death. Apparently, there’s enough unused footage of her from The Force Awakens to give Leia a meaningful storyline in Episode IX. If the film’s good, expect there to be a serious push for a posthumous Best Supporting Actress nomination for Fisher.

I don’t see her being in it more than 10 minutes. It’s probably a peaceful and beautiful goodbye set up for her to honor her. I think they’re doing it more so they don’t have to address her death being off screen or digitalize her etc.

It’s not unheard of for an actor or actress to be nominated for an Oscar with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. In fact, it’s not unheard of for an actor or actress to win an Oscar with 10 minutes of screen-time or less.  Here are some examples.

• Gloria Grahame won Best Supporting Actress in 1953 for The Bad and the Beautiful with 9 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Hermione Bradley was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 1960 for Room at the Top with 2 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Ben Johnson was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in 1972 for The Last Picture Show with 10 minutes of screen-time.
    • In 1977, there were not one, but two nominations with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. Both nominations were for Network. Ned Beatty was nominated for Best Supporting Actor with 6 minutes of screen-time, and Beatrice Straight won Best Supporting Actress with 5 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Jason Robards won Best Supporting Actor in 1978 for Julia with 9 minutes of screen-time.
    • Judi Dench won Best Supporting Actress in 1999 for Shakespeare in Love with 8 minutes of screen-time.
    • Ruby Dee was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 2008 for American Gangster with 10 minutes of screen-time.
    • Viola Davis was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 2009 for Doubt with 8 minutes of screen-time.
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see her being in it more than 10 minutes. It’s probably a peaceful and beautiful goodbye set up for her to honor her. I think they’re doing it more so they don’t have to address her death being off screen or digitalize her etc.

It’s not unheard of for an actor or actress to be nominated for an Oscar with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. In fact, it’s not unheard of for an actor or actress to win an Oscar with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. Here are some examples.

• Gloria Grahame won Best Supporting Actress in 1953 for The Bad and the Beautiful with 9 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Hermione Bradley was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 1960 for Room at the Top with 2 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Ben Johnson was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in 1972 for The Last Picture Show with 10 minutes of screen-time.
    • In 1977, there were not one, but two nominations with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. Both nominations were for Network. Ned Beatty was nominated for Best Supporting Actor with 6 minutes of screen-time, and Beatrice Straight won Best Supporting Actress with 5 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Jason Robards won Best Supporting Actor in 1978 for Julia with 9 minutes of screen-time.
    • Judi Dench won Best Supporting Actress in 1999 for Shakespeare in Love with 8 minutes of screen-time.
    • Ruby Dee was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 2008 for American Gangster with 10 minutes of screen-time.
    • Viola Davis was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 2009 for Doubt with 8 minutes of screen-time.

Lol, it will still never happen in this case.

PerksofBeingaGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not unheard of for an actor or actress to be nominated for an Oscar with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. In fact, it’s not unheard of for an actor or actress to win an Oscar with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. Here are some examples.

• Gloria Grahame won Best Supporting Actress in 1953 for The Bad and the Beautiful with 9 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Hermione Bradley was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 1960 for Room at the Top with 2 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Ben Johnson was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in 1972 for The Last Picture Show with 10 minutes of screen-time.
    • In 1977, there were not one, but two nominations with 10 minutes of screen-time or less. Both nominations were for Network. Ned Beatty was nominated for Best Supporting Actor with 6 minutes of screen-time, and Beatrice Straight won Best Supporting Actress with 5 1/2 minutes of screen-time.
    • Jason Robards won Best Supporting Actor in 1978 for Julia with 9 minutes of screen-time.
    • Judi Dench won Best Supporting Actress in 1999 for Shakespeare in Love with 8 minutes of screen-time.
    • Ruby Dee was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 2008 for American Gangster with 10 minutes of screen-time.
    • Viola Davis was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 2009 for Doubt with 8 minutes of screen-time.

Thank you for all the research you did for this, but as much of a Carrie fan as I am, she is barely going to be in it. I’m sure she’ll just be in it for a brief moment that will touch us all. They’re using footage from Force Awakens, which she was already in for just 10 minutes or even less.

If somehow that does happen I’ll stan.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

Anonymous
    Topics:

Fisher was dead and had a sizeable role in The Last Jedi, but she still didn’t get even close. She has absolutely no chance for the next one.

DaKardii
    Participant
    Topics:

Fisher was dead and had a sizeable role in The Last Jedi, but she still didn’t get even close. She has absolutely no chance for the next one.

The Last Jedi was a good movie, but an abysmal Star Wars movie. The amount of controversy it caused among fans could have scared away Academy members who considered voting for it.

If Episode IX doesn’t anger fans the way The Last Jedi did, Fisher may well have more of a chance.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  DaKardii.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  DaKardii. Reason: fixed typo
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see it happening. It’s just going to be too far removed and too little time. Episode IX will most likely piss people off some way. But if I’m wrong, I’m wrong

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 672 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions’ is closed to new replies.