Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 3

2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 3

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 509 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
Bassett
JackO
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Tooner
    Topics:

This has only gotten me more excited for next year! Can’t wait

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

In hindsight, we should’ve seen Ford v Ferrari winning Sound Editing coming. It won the main award at the MPSE guild awards.

I thought if it won anything it’d be Sound Mixing. That award usually gets paired with Film Editing. 1917 winning mixing but not editing is weird: I don’t really understand it. But I’m happy the better film won here.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

As far as Parasite not doing well at the box-office there are two things to say: it’s hard to convince people to go and see foreign language films, and this win will mean more people will see it. While I honestly think that 1917 is a slightly better movie, Parasite is a superb one. Both are worthy.

I would have given Z Best Picture and Best Director way back 50 years ago – and Roma both prizes last year. So it’s finally happened!

Profile picture
    CarlosAlessio10
    Topics:

Great choices this year.

All 100% deserved.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Joker haters at least can be happy that it lost makeup, but it won the two awards it deserved most so I’m happy.

To be fair, I wouldn’t have hated Joker winning makeup, it managed to create a new iconography for the character that stands alone by itself without comparison to past Joker’s or being pale imitation of them.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

In hindsight, we should’ve seen Ford v Ferrari winning Sound Editing coming. It won the main award at the MPSE guild awards.

FvF won at sound guilds so that wouldnt have helped.

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

RIP DGA.
    RIP PGA.
    RIP BAFTAs.
    RIP Globes.
    Long live SAGs lol.

#Dead.

Let’s not forget the formidable WGA! Screenplay has become extremely important for Best Picture – maybe even the most important.

Profile picture
    RobScottDays
    Topics:

At the end of the day, Lupita has more actual awards for Us than Renee does for Judy. So HA!

Profile picture
    CarlosAlessio10
    Topics:

Bafta curse is here.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

SAG + WGA is a killer combo. Crash, Spotlight and now Parasite are examples of this.

Profile picture
    unspoken
    Topics:

I know the Oscar’s aren’t the be all end all of great movies, but the fact that Parasite won films me with so much hope for the future of cinema. For years and years the common knowledge has been “make the movie the academy wants to see and you’ll win”. Parasite defied all that and won 4 Oscars through sheer passion and acclaim. Now the barrier for foreign films has been broken, but kore importantly, everyone from around the world will make the moves they want to make and not the movies they think other people want to see. Also almost no one I’ve talked to has even heard of Parasite, and now that’s about to change. This film might be my favorite of all time (it and Fury Road are neck and neck) and I’m so happy that so many more people will see it now.

I think part of Parasite’s success is that, on the surface level, it does transcend cultures.  While it definitely has some specifically Asian elements to it, the main theme is the rich vs. poor/income inequality element which is quite universal.

I’m still pumped though, it’s the first time ever that my persinal #1 of the year won best picture.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I think Greta will win an Oscar one day. Good will is on her side.

Profile picture
    Tooner
    Topics:

At the end of the day, Lupita has more actual awards for Us than Renee does for Judy. So HA!

But Renee has the award people actually care about

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Every single winner this year was either first or second in the Gold Derby predictions!

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

As far as Parasite not doing well at the box-office there are two things to say: it’s hard to convince people to go and see foreign language films, and this win will mean more people will see it. While I honestly think that 1917 is a slightly better movie, Parasite is a superb one. Both are worthy. I would have given Z Best Picture and Best Director way back 50 years ago – and Roma both prizes last year. So it’s finally happened!

People who say Parasite didn’t do well at the box office are straight up lying. It made $162 million dollars worldwide on an $11 million budget. Guest 2018 thinks the entire world revolves around America, but he’s wrong. International totals have just as much value as domestic ones (since all the totals are converted to US value). Actually more since its, you know, more money. To put it in terms he will understand, who the fuck cares that Endgame made $860 million domestically: $2.8 Billion world wide is the big figure.

Fuck the Grammys

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 3’ is closed to new replies.