Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 3

2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 3

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 510 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Seven
PJ Edwards
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Your extreme bias against an international film winning (when this literally the only time it’s ever happened) is extremely unsettling. If you didn’t like Parasite (which would already be questionable as it’s a masterpiece), then I could accept your opinion. But you’re upset solely because something won that’s not American. Your arguments against the film have absolutely nothing to do with quality or prestige, but are solely based on it being an international film. There’s something deeply wrong and ignorant with that line of thinking.

Parasite is absolutely brilliant in every way, and while I would’ve slightly preferred Marriage Story or Jojo Rabbit, I’m still overjoyed by Parasite’s richly deserved success. South Korea had never won an Oscar before. Now a film has come out of there that won four. That’s amazing. Bong Joon-ho is a genius, and I highly look forward to what he does next, even though I highly doubt that it can ever top the absolutely genius work he did in Parasite.

I also want to say, Song Kang-ho (and to a lesser extent Cho Yeo-jeong) being snubbed was already bad. But the fact that Parasite did so well makes it way worse now.

Paul hasn’t seen Parasite and may never.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Wow, one person got 100% correct! I’ve never seen the name before so it’s a lurker but congrats to him or her! (: I seem to recall Tom saying that nobody has ever gotten 100% ever before so this is a first! (:

Profile picture
    asuka
    Topics:

I think Director was more surprising than Picture. Sam Mendes was sweeping all the director prizes, including DGA. He was one of the biggest frontrunners leading up to Oscars night.

For Picture, Parasite had the advantage with the SAG ensemble win + more support from the Writing branch than 1917 had. So, much more people were predicting an upset, particularly a Parasite upset, in Picture this year, unlike with Director. Also, Picture has always been ripe for more upsets in recent memory than Director has been.

Profile picture
    asuka
    Topics:

Wow, one person got 100% correct! I’ve never seen the name before so it’s a lurker but congrats to him or her! (: I seem to recall Tom saying that nobody has ever gotten 100% ever before so this is a first! (:

Someone getting 100% for the Oscars hasn’t happened in a while, right? Last year IIRC Sasha Stone was 1st on the leader board and she didn’t get 100%..

I’m happy I ranked 17 / 10,257 this year with 22/24 categories correctly predicted. My incorrect predictions were 1917 for Director and Klaus for Animated Feature..

Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

I’m not sure if the majority of those in the Bong Hive can describe the plot of Parasite. Rich vs. poor, and a Sam Peckinpah-like violent finish.

Profile picture
    asuka
    Topics:

I’m not sure if the majority of those in the Bong Hive can describe the plot of Parasite. Rich vs. poor, and a Sam Peckinpah-like violent finish.

Okay, snowflake. And I’m sure you think you are only one of few who can?

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

Paul hasn’t seen Parasite and may never.

He’s definitely never gonna watch it now.

Are implying that people who like Parasite are too stupid to describe the plot? Your description doesn’t even come close to doing the film justice.

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I would have been close to 100% but I voted with my heart and not my head for a handful of the categories. I never would have guessed the sounds though.

Profile picture
    asuka
    Topics:

I would have been close to 100% but I voted with my heart and not my head for a handful of the categories. I never would have guessed the sounds though.

I got 22/24.

I would have never guessed Bong would win Director over Mendes. Bong was my early prediction (around November) to win Director, but over the course of the season, 1917 was sweeping the Director prizes. 1917 was a huge frontrunner in that category and Bong’s win IMO is a major upset. Very deserved though and I couldn’t be more ecstatic about it.

Animated Feature was a fairly open race imo, what with Missing Link winning the Globe, I Lost My Body winning some major critics prizes, Klaus sweeping the Annies + winning BAFTA, and Toy Story 4 winning Critics’ Choice. I incorrectly predicted Klaus because it seemed to have the edge to win the Oscar, judging from the precursors.

I’m happy I ranked 17 / 10,257 though.

Profile picture
    Alexa Aristizabal
    Topics:

I am slightly annoyed that I could have gotten easily over 20 by sticking to what the majority chose, rather than getting ideas in my head (for doc, song, production design, makeup). Editing was obvious in hindsight, but I hoped they would appreciate Parasite there more. Same for animation–should have just gone with the most popular movie. And yeah, I don’t think I would have gotten the sounds right in any scenario–still baffled that the split wasn’t the other way around. Predicted the split, but switched the two up. And got the live action short wrong by literally changing it this morning -_-. You can see the editing time on my prediction ballot LOL.

In every single category I got wrong, the winner was my #2 choice, so at least I wasn’t that far off.

But I am proud of myself for following my Parasite passion and going with both for the big ones, because that’s what the heart wanted, so I listened to it for once. I felt the momentum, the anonymous ballots added to it. I could have gotten 21 categories wrong, and I would still be ecstatic for getting the ones that mattered the most.

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

I got 18 out of 24, so that’s a solid 75%. I did much better than last year. This time I paid a lot more attention to precursors but also had a couple more gut based decisions. Also, every time I got a category wrong, my predicted runner up was the winner, so I feel pretty good about my score.

Profile picture
    Turd Ferguson
    Topics:

You seriously are the worst. You’re a racist old fart who is salty that other human beings like to do important things that don’t involve talking about Kristen Bell. You are truly a plague on these forums and not a single one of your posts has every had a sense of logic to it.

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

You couldn’t be more epically wrong, A and B) time to ditch the preferential ballot.

Profile picture
    Turd Ferguson
    Topics:

You couldn’t be more epically wrong, A and B) time to ditch the preferential ballot.

How come my post got two thumbs up and I have never seen one on any of yours before then?

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

People on here who know me know I love to gloat so, again, I CALLED PARASITE!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 3’ is closed to new replies.