Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 4

2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 4

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
Gabe Guarin
thatnerdgreg
  • Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

I can see that if you want to talk in those terms. But that’s not very interesting, I think. It’s as if you wanted to discuss box office rather than quality.

You’re misunderstanding the point I’m trying to make. I’m not saying that I find below the line categories less prestigious, I’m saying that the average movie goer does. More casual viewers protest perceived above the line snubs all the time, but how many of them do the same for below the line categories?

Just look at the YouTube videos of Laura Dern winning Supporting Actress and compare it’s views to those of Little Women winning Costume Design. The Supporting Actress win currently has 222,000 views, while the Costume Design win has 11,000 views.

Again, I’m not trying to downplay below the line wins, I’m just saying the average person is much more inclined to care about an above the line win.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by thatnerdgreg.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by thatnerdgreg.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Technically this isn’t true as the International Feature Oscar is awarded to the country as a whole rather than the director.

I find this bogus. Why CAN’T the director have a trophy of his own for winning the International Feature Film Oscar?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jsn
    Topics:

Did I just read someone say that La La Land is more acclaimed than The Return of the King? Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    phenix714
    Topics:

I’m sure movie nerds tend to prefer Return of the King, but La La Land is more critically acclaimed, and is more likely to make the Sight & Sound list in 2022 than the LOTR movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    happysad
    Topics:

I find this bogus. Why CAN’T the director have a trophy of his own for winning the International Feature Film Oscar?

I remember reading from somewhere that the Oscar does belong to the director when he/she wins Best International Feature Film. The name of the country gets to be engraved in that oscar as well, along with the name of the director as he/she represents the creative force  of the winning country.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Why exactly was the ceremony so early this year??? Did Laura Dern plan it so that the Oscars would be just before her bday so that everyone would remember it’s her bday when they voted? Lmao. Regardless she was the best in her category.

Didn’t work for Joe Pesci lol. Though it seems he had better ways to celebrate his 77th than going to the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’m sure movie nerds tend to prefer Return of the King, but La La Land is more critically acclaimed, and is more likely to make the Sight & Sound list in 2022 than the LOTR movies.

Lol, none of them will.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

The director does get to keep the trophy (I think even his or her name is engraved on it) but does not personally become an Oscar-winner on official records. But I agree, it’s completely bogus and condescending towards international filmmakers – as if the entire nation had anything to do with the making of one film!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I am so happy about this that I’m not even mad I’m not going to be able to make a Willem Dafoe meme account.

Cannes is going to be ridiculous this year with distributors starting to consider films as Best Picture contenders.

Also, maybe this can end the tiresome era of long take gimmicks?

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

The director does get to keep the trophy (I think even his or her name is engraved on it) but does not personally become an Oscar-winner on official records. But I agree, it’s completely bogus and condescending towards international filmmakers – as if the entire nation had anything to do with the making of one film!

Yeah it really doesn’t make any sense. The director is clearly responsible for the film’s high quality, they get to accept the Oscar, they get to keep the Oscar, and yet for some reason it’s not officially acknowledged as their win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Some governments fund the films of foreign countries. That’s where an element of this “rule” originates from. But yes, that should in no way stop the director from being considered the primary Oscar winner. I’m glad that the director’s name is engraved on the Oscar now along with being able to claim the trophy outright.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    phenix714
    Topics:

That’s why I sourced Metacritc too (even though I think RT is better).

Metacritic has the same issue. It only tells you the reception of the movie at the time of its release. TSPDT gets updated every year.

I think if you asked the large majority of people they would say Ben Hur and Return of the King at least are better than La La Land.

I thought we were talking about critics and cinephiles here. Obviously general audiences prefer LOTR to La La Land.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I thought we were talking about critics and cinephiles here. Obviously general audiences prefer LOTR to La La Land.

I think the majority of critics and cinephiles prefer LOTR over La La Land too. But I suppose I can’t say that for certain.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    phenix714
    Topics:

Then why is La La Land ranked the 3rd best movie of 2016, while Return of the King is ranked the 7th best movie of 2003? Quality doesn’t vary that much from year to year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Then why is La La Land ranked the 3rd best movie of 2016, while Return of the King is ranked the 7th best movie of 2003? Quality doesn’t vary that much from year to year.

You’re using one source to prove your point, rather than all of the other sources that disprove it (like the sites that exist to score and rank movies, LOL!). But let’s say, just for fun, your source is the only one that matters. You can’t even compare films based on that metric. It’s impossible! By that logic I could say Marriage Story or Uncut Gems or Little Women aren’t better than La La Land since they’re not Top 3 films in 2019. Certain years are stronger for film than others.

This is the last time I’m participating in this argument. I don’t even like Return of the King enough to care about this anymore.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.