Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 4

2020 Oscar Reactions: Winners (and losers) – Part 4

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
Gabe Guarin
thatnerdgreg
  • phenix714
    Participant
    Topics:

The sources you gave are irrelevant to the argument, because they reflect the reception of the movie at the time it was released. It’s as if you used How Green Was My Valley winning Best Picture as an argument that the Academy considers it a better movie than Citizen Kane. That’s probably not true nowadays.

The Sight & Sound poll and the TSPDT list are considered the most prestigious lists of movies. That’s why I’m basing myself on those. No one uses RT and MC for all-time reception. That’s not even their purpose.

I think it’s fair to look at the rankings for the specific years (although you have to take into account how close the movies are to each other). It gives you an idea of where the movies might stand in the all-time list in the future.

And by the way, Marriage Story is probably a top 3 movie of the year according to cinephiles (along with Parasite and Portrait of a Lady on Fire). That’s what I expect the top 3 will look like when the list gets updated later this month.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Netflix really bombed hard

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

The way no one is talking about Bradley Cooper losing his 8th Oscar nom

ReplyCopy URL
    CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

The sources you gave are irrelevant to the argument, because they reflect the reception of the movie at the time it was released. It’s as if you used How Green Was My Valley winning Best Picture as an argument that the Academy considers it a better movie than Citizen Kane. That’s probably not true nowadays. The Sight & Sound poll and the TSPDT list are considered the most prestigious lists of movies. That’s why I’m basing myself on those. No one uses RT and MC for all-time reception. That’s not even their purpose. I think it’s fair to look at the rankings for the specific years (although you have to take into account how close the movies are to each other). It gives you an idea of where the movies might stand in the all-time list in the future. And by the way, Marriage Story is probably a top 3 movie of the year according to cinephiles (along with Parasite and Portrait of a Lady on Fire). That’s what I expect the top 3 will look like when the list gets updated later this month.

It’s not even in my top ten!!! Wtf

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

A lot of people don’t know he produced Joker.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Its insane time think that a man who 10 years ago had no nominations now has 8.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagine if he got the Director nom last year. That would mean 9 losses. Glenn Close wishes

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not even in my top ten!!! Wtf

My guess is Parasite, Portrait, and The Irishman will be Top 3: all had more acclaim and better reviews than Marriage Story.

Academy-Award winners:

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

My guess is Parasite, Portrait, and The Irishman will be Top 3: all had more acclaim and better reviews than Marriage Story.

Marriage Story got a lot of acclaim, but it’s not exactly a movie I can imagine people watching that often.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story got a lot of acclaim, but it’s not exactly a movie I can imagine people watching that often.

I think in retrospect that might be my biggest problem with it. I loved it the first time, but have no desire to watch it again, unlike Parasite, Joker, Avengers Endgame (all 3 of which I’ve already rewatched), Jojo Rabbit, and Uncut Gems (and probably Little Women as well).

Academy-Award winners:

ReplyCopy URL
    Tooner
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lighthouse is probably going to be up there although I believe it to be massively overrated

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

I made a forum about this, but I am curious what others think would’ve changed if the ceremony was delayed to March.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story is the exact type of movie I love to hate but hey, I really liked it and think it has a lot of replay value

This said it absolutely did not deserve Original Screenplay, let alone Best Picture over ParaLegend. Absolutely not

The Directing snub did not bother me either. Waititi deserved that 5th spot, not Baumbach nor Gerwig

I would have given Best Actress to ScarJo over Zellweger tho. God knows I would drag the tree if her performance was anything less than great but she did that. She really did

Adam gave a winning performance but clearly no one was here for anyone other than Phoenix. Not the public nor the industry. He probably would have caught so much heat if he won. Hopefully his third nom will be the one

And I’m fine with Renata getting her career award with this. I didn’t care about any other contender

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lighthouse is probably going to be up there although I believe it to be massively overrated

The Lighthouse is probably too divisive to be top 3. I’d say Parasite is definitely number 1, then Marriage Story (universal and tugs at the emotions without being overly sentimental), and I’m not sure what the next one is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol I cannot imagine sitting through Jojo again it was torture.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.