Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 507 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Thatcher
Seven
  • Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you rank possible contenders solely based on trailers,stills and their roles.Without even seeing the movie?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you rank possible contenders solely based on trailers,stills and their roles.Without even seeing the movie?

Darling, are you serious? Of course we do.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I currently think this might be Adam Driver’s Oscar to win. He’s always fantastic, he’s got a busy year, and people love him. However, there are several other possible contenders. I personally am rooting for Taron Egerton to at least get a nomination. I thought he was magical, and I really hope he doesn’t get screwed over by Rami Malek winning last year.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

At this point all we have is hunches, educated guesses and trailers – I said that it will be a long 4 months and we have many films to see before solidifying our predictions. All of my current predictions are subject to change between now and January.

The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    2. Micheal B. Jordan, Just Mercy
    3. Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    4. Eddie Redmayne, Aeronuats
    5. Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    6. Matt Damon, Ford v Ferrari
    7. Antonio Banderas, Pain & Glory
    8. Robert De Niro, The Irishman
    9. Eddie Murphy, Dolemite is My Name
    10. Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

That is the truth.

No exceptions.

A Rival To Thatcher’s Reign.

Spark87
    Participant
    Topics:

After seeing “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (a great film but not the masterpiece some are trying to sell. “Pulp Fiction” is not) I agree Leonardo DiCaprio is a sure lock for a nomination… and almost a win lock.

I thought DiCaprio was going to relax after his long-awaited and sought victory at the Oscars (like some other actors did), but he is in top form. Even knowing he can embroider some roles (“The Revenant”, “Wolf of Wall Street”, “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape”, “The Aviator”, his underrated performance in “Titanic”, etcetera), he surprised me with the likelihood, complicity, and power he gave to the emotional rolecoaster of his character mixing so much comedy and drama.

I was curious about the interpretive duel betwen DiCaprio and Pitt since I adore some of the performances of both, and it turns out DiCaprio has won that duel (also helps that he has the juicier role). While Pitt even being also remarcable (a nom is highly likely IMO) is playing the same monochromatic but charismatic role he has played in the past.

DiCaprio is the true winner of “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” in my book. The best male performance of the year for now, and really difficult to overcome by the rest of possible contenders. The only obstacle for Leonardo DiCaprio to win is that his role has a lot of comedy… and usually the Oscars don’t get along with comedy roles (the last time a character that mixed drama and comedy won was almost 10 years ago (Jean Dujardin for “The Artist”). And in the last century just him).

But right now, while waiting for future contenders, I cheer for him even with him already with one Oscar

null

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Spark87.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Spark87.
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

If Joker and Marriage story go comedy at GG, we will have one hell of a category with DiCaprio, Driver, Edgerton and Phoenix. Hopefully we can end the 7 years streak of GG drama actor winner going on to win at the Oscar. Whoever wins drama actor at the GG this year, you’re not safe…

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I originally thought Marriage Story was supposed to be a comedy, but the trailers look like it’ll go drama. It’ll be interesting to see where Joker goes. From what I’ve seen so far, it looks like a drama. However, the Joker is a very comedic character, so having him as the lead means the film can easily get into comedy, even if the rest of the picture is straight drama.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I originally thought Marriage Story was supposed to be a comedy, but the trailers look like it’ll go drama. It’ll be interesting to see where Joker goes. From what I’ve seen so far, it looks like a drama. However, the Joker is a very comedic character, so having him as the lead means the film can easily get into comedy, even if the rest of the picture is straight drama.

Nah,dude
    The Joker is a full time “Drama”
    See the MPAA ratings

Hengedrita
    Participant
    Topics:

Rooting for:

Joaquin Phoenix – Joker
    Adam Driver – Marriage Story
    Christian Bale – Ford vs Ferrari
    Edward Norton – Motherless Brooklyn
    Antonio Banderas Pain and Glory
    Robert Pattinson – The Lighthouse
    August Diehl – A Hidden Life

And what happened to Matthias Schoenaerts in The Mustang? He got great reviews!
    Finally and finally, Motherless Brooklyn is coming to a theatre near us. That project has been in pre-production for a very long time.
    Next project out of that same misery, is Flora Plum with Jodie Foster

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    2. Micheal B. Jordan, Just Mercy
    3. Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    4. Eddie Redmayne, Aeronuats
    5. Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    6. Matt Damon, Ford v Ferrari
    7. Antonio Banderas, Pain & Glory
    8. Robert De Niro, The Irishman
    9. Eddie Murphy, Dolemite is My Name
    10. Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Michael B Jordan ain’t going anywhere.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

No one thinks Phoenix is winning his overdue Oscar this year?

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion,he has already won all the lead actor awards 2019-20 season.It is just about time.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion,he has already won all the lead actor awards 2019-20 season.It is just about time.

On paper I’d love this to be true, but I would suggest avoiding proclamations like these (though I too have him in my #1 spot for now).

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

People don’t seem to take him too seriously because he doesn’t campaign and is outspoken about not liking awards. Clearly this isn’t always a bad thing as winners like Frances McDormand, Daniel Day-Lewis, Olivia Colman, Mo’Nique, etc. aren’t big campaigners yet they won. I think another reason people aren’t predicting Phoenix to win is that Ledger won for a similar role. But with his TIFF tribute award and his narrative I could see it happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.