Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 507 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Thatcher
Seven
  • JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

No one thinks Phoenix is winning his overdue Oscar this year?

I think he will but Driver is major competition. Pheonix has to thread a needle so I can understand why folks arent on him for early predictions. Much safer to predict a guy doing standard bait in a heavy drama than a wacky villain in gritty comic book movie.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I think another reason people aren’t predicting Phoenix to win is that Ledger won for a similar role.

you mean the same?

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Driver has really just now become an A-lister, which makes him red hot and likely to get a nod, but when it comes to winning, I think his it boy status might actually be a disadvantage for him the same way it has been for many male actors. I realize he’s 35 and therefore not too young to win by default, but still.

If this was Best Actress, Driver would be the runaway favourite at this point. Assuming his main competition are Phoenix, DiCaprio, Banderas, and De Niro, the situation is more or less the equivalent of Margot Robbie or Saoirse Ronan competing against Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, Annette Bening and Julia Roberts; in other words, ingenue against veterans.

We all know how that almost always goes in Best Actress. But Best Actor tends to favor seasoned veterans, so I think Phoenix or even Banderas has more of a narrative than Driver (Phoenix’s chances do depend a lot on whether Joker can muster a Best Picture nod; ditto Banderas and Dolor y Gloria – again, this wouldn’t be an issue in Best Actress).

Then again, maybe Rami Malek was a tide-turner. Who knows.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Malek and Redmayne both happened this decade (they both were on their first nom and beat some tough competition and strong narratives) so I don’t think Driver is too much of a stretch

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

you mean the same?

lol I was trying to keep it cute

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Malek and Redmayne both happened this decade (they both were on their first nom and beat some tough competition and strong narratives) so I don’t think Driver is too much of a stretch

and they both beat veterans in films that were better received (Redmayne had Keaton and Malek was facing 4 veterans, 3 of which were in films better or equally received as Bohemian Rhapsody).

What does help Phoenix over Driver is that in two-handers the actress usually wins rather than the actor, where as most of the lead actor winners are they very clear leads of their movies.

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

We have new contender. Mark Ruffalo is coming for new Haynes https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/status/1166110597911588865

I heard great things about it and Ruffalo.

Sypnosis:
    Inspired by a shocking true story, a tenacious attorney (Ruffalo) uncovers a dark secret that connects a growing number of unexplained deaths due to one of the world’s largest corporations. In the process, he risks everything – his future, his family, and his own life – to expose the truth.

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Welcome to the fold, Ruffalo! Love you baby.

I thought I saw somewhere that Damon was lead and Bale was supporting for Ford v. Ferrari, is that not the case? Per twitter blind items, the test audiences are eating it up, but I’m not predicting either until it’s settled.

1. Dicaprio (Seems obvious.)
    2. De Niro (Seems obvious.)
    3. Driver (He has indie cred AND mainstream love through Star Wars, nominated last year, star is on the rise seems like something the Globes will jump on and Oscar will follow suit.)
    4. Jordan (Test screenings reportedly great, they won’t want an all-white lineup, many feel he was snubbed last year.)
    5. Pattinson (I’m speaking this into existence and will be predicting it until I am proven wrong.)

Banderas (Buzzy, but foreign language is a hurdle.)
    Driver for The Report (See above. It’s stronger bait on paper but Amazon sucks at campaigning and has a weird release strategy.)
    Egerton (The BoRhap afterglow? May release is problematic.)
    Pitt for Ad Astra (Maybe OUATIH propels him here.)
    Pryce (Baity, but Netflix will prioritize Marriage Story and The Irishman.)

Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

Joaquin Phoenix

Adam Driver

Robert De Niro

Adam Sandler

Taron Egerton

Carl
    Participant
    Topics:

Ford v. Ferrari

Seems like people are really sleeping on this movie.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

“The King” trailer starring soon to be multiple Academy award nominee Timothée Chalamet. Robert Pattinson is doing so well for himself, he might be a dark horse for “The Lighthouse”.

https://youtu.be/yMJnsTx-TBg

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

“The King” trailer starring soon to be multiple Academy award nominee Timothée Chalamet. Robert Pattinson is doing so well for himself, he might be a dark horse for “The Lighthouse”. https://youtu.be/yMJnsTx-TBg

any one else think this looks…kinda bad ?

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman ain’t getting any acting noms guys

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

“The King” trailer starring soon to be multiple Academy award nominee Timothée Chalamet. Robert Pattinson is doing so well for himself, he might be a dark horse for “The Lighthouse”. https://youtu.be/yMJnsTx-TBg

If Timothée couldn’t even get in for Beautiful Boy, he’s not getting in for a low-priority Netflix release regardless of his performance. He needs to be in a strong film like CMBYN before he can even be nominated

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

K-pop Timmy is finally playing a char his own age.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.