Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 507 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Thatcher
Seven
  • Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Ford v Ferrari just screened at Telluride, Bale getting very strong notices.

brb stanning Adam Driver

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Animatronic is the exception, not the rule. No one is playing someone white men adore as much as Freddie Mercury this year.

Pheonix will suffer from genre bias + the fact that someone already won for the same role. He’ll need more than great reviews and certainly won’t make it with a 49 MC score.

I totally expect Phoenix to deliver though.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

Animatronic is the exception, not the rule. No one is playing someone white men adore as much as Freddie Mercury this year.

Pheonix will suffer from genre bias + the fact that someone already won for the same role. He’ll need more than great reviews and certainly won’t make it with a 49 MC score.

Lmao animatronic

Wigseau
    Participant
    Topics:

I just saw Rocketman and wow… Taron Egerton was spectacular in it. Totally deserving of an Oscar.

Wow, that’s some Thatcher’s influence. I think we miss her.
    And yes, Malek had it easier than Phoenix. And I’m sure the latter will be great.

This year I stan: Taron Egerton for Rocketman / Brad Pitt, Margaret Qualley and Dakota Fanning for OUATIH (so far)

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Would it really need to score that high? Even The Dark Knight has only 84.

Let’s pretend the fact that he [Ledger] died did not help him win the Oscar.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Marcel.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Marcel.
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

It helped, but he would’ve won anyway.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone’s “pretending” anything, but while we’re on the subject: the real question isn’t whether Ledger would’ve won but whether he’d have been nominated at all. There is no doubt that once nominated, a performance of this virtuosity would win no matter what, especially with that competition. But it’s also true that we’ve seen great performances in genre films repeatedly overlooked due to snobbishness of the Academy. Still, I don’t think that would’ve happened this time as The Dark Knight was taken more seriously than any other comic book movie up to that point, and Ledger himself was fresh in voters’ minds after Brokeback Mountain.

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

The Joker just received huge amount of praise and positive reviews looks like Joaquin is coming for that Oscar.

@filmupdates #Joker has been receiving unanimous praise from critics after its Venice debut, where it received a thunderous standing ovation, with critics calling it a “darkly funny”, “thrilling”, “tragic” “masterpiece” anchored by a “powerful, Oscar worthy performance” from Joaquin Phoenix.

@robbiereviews: Joker review coming this evening once the premiere’s in. In the meantime: that was a *big* round of applause.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

The Joker just received huge amount of praise and positive reviews looks like Joaquin is coming for that Oscar.

Told ya’ll
    It’s Mr Joaquin’s year

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

im very curious to see how this praise pans out over  the next few weeks

@nadjasayei: Just saw #joker the film at #venice and it’s far more high art, psychological and performance art- driven than i had imagined. none of that superhero shit, this is the real deal.

@firstshowing: FWIW, this Joker screening received the loudest applause/cheers of the festival yet. Seems critics loved it.  #Venezia76

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

@intfilmcritique
    #JokerMovie is the type of film that defines an actor’s career, type of role & character that comes once in a lifetime. Heath Ledger’s #Joker redefined the character, but Phoenix cements it as one of the greatest, darkest villains in cinematic history. All hail Joaquin Phoenix!

Tears of Joy

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Now that Joker isn’t panned, Driver will not have enough support to overcome Joaquin’s popularity and narrative. Though Phoenix will need to play the game and campaign.

Phoenix definitely needs Joker to be nominated for Best Picture. If that happens, I agree that he might be unbeatable.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Fine, y’all won. I put Joaquin as my #1. What pushed me to that was a mix of suspicions about the performance quality of The Irishman, ScarJo being the bigger performance lead contender for Marriage Story, and Brad Pitt being the more likely Hollywood win.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

watch Joker serve ASIB/Bradley with this hype and y’all know how that turned out.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:
    • Antonio Banderas- Pain and Glory
    • Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Adam Driver- Marriage Story
    • Taron Edgerton- Rocketman
    • Joaquin Phoenix- Joker

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.