Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Seven
Thatcher
  • Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    2. Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    3. Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
    4. Taron Egerton, Rocketman
    5. Timothée Chalamet, The King

Hopefully Rhys can score a nod. Pattinson could also get in if the buzz is there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Leonardo Dicaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Adam Driver- Marriage Story

Joaquin Phoenix- Joker

Jonathan Pryce- The Two Popes

Robert Pattinson- The Lighthouse

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sorry but what? DiCaprio deserves a RAZZIE award for his poor performance in OUATIH.

This boiled my blood ngl,my BP went upto and 300/300 then I suddenly remembered this the a guy who stanned Rami in BO Rap and things got better from there on.It is true that in a world where Rami’s performance in BO Rap can win Oscar,Leo in OUTIH deserve Razzie.Things have gone opposite I guess.

Darlings, DiCaprio isn’t winning anything for Once and Always Trash in Hollywood. The hype will die in a month. He will get a nod for the Globes and that’s it. That’s what he deserves based on his average performance playing himself

Over these past 5 yrs I have been on interent,typical Leo haters or haters of movies he make will say mostly say “pLaYiNg HiMsElF”,that is the typical thing they will repeat on and on and on.I have seen it in past on ImDB message boards,Reddit,Twitter.They also will say this without even seeing the movie just like this person.The country this person lives,movie havent even released and he/she is passing this judgement because that’s hate.I am not saying he was unbelievably DDL in TWBB level good but he was sure fantastic.Acting within acting is never easy and he effortlessly played a bi-polar insecure failing actor and most of those who have seen OUTIH lauded his performance.I am not saying it is compulsory for him to win because imo this wasnt an Oscar winning type of mega performance especially the bar this guy has for himself adding to the fact this is a comedic performance but yeah he certainly is looking a worthy nominee and about hype factor,OUTIH will have a re-release once award season begins so there is that.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Hammad Asif.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Hammad Asif.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    Liam Gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

Current Favourites

1. Banderas, Pain & Glory
    2. Phoenix, Joker
    3. Pryce, The Two Popes
    4. Driver, Marriage Story
    5. DiCaprio, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Strong Possibilities

1. De Niro, The Irishman
    2. Egerton, Rocketman
    3. Pattinson, The Lighthouse
    4. Kaluuya, Queen & Slim
    5. Norton, Motherless Brooklyn
    6. Driver, The Report

Banderas has a lot of buzz, and I’ve heard several people say he’ll be a strong contender, so he’s my favourite at the minute.

Phoenix is a close second – he looks excellent in the trailer and is guaranteed to be good in it, he could be a Malek style win in that Joker will likely be a crowd-pleaser and I think his performance will be popular with audiences.

Pryce has the potential to win I think – I could see a scenario where he’s the firm favourite, he could also just not be involved at all depending on how Netflix market the film. I think Driver is a good bet for a nod, Leo I think is unlikely to win but very likely to get a nod.

If the Academy buys into The Lighthouse, buzz I’ve seen on here and heard around suggests Pattinson could be a major player.

I’ve not seen many of the films I’ve predicted but, just for fun, the list I’m hoping to see is something like:

1. Pattinson, The Lighthouse
    2. Driver, Marriage Story
    3. Phoenix, Joker
    4. Banderas, Pain & Glory
    5. Kaluuya, Queen & Slim
    ReplyCopy URL
    Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

Those brave enough to predict The Lighthouse elsewhere should seriously consider Pattinson in this category: ‘Pattinson gives a performance of such audacity and muscle that he recalls Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood.’ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/lighthouse-review-film-will-make-head-soul-ring/ ‘Forget Batman: Robert Pattinson proves himself once more to be a fearless character actor who brings a layered understanding to Winslow and does not hold back when the shit almost literally hits the fan.’ https://cine-vue.com/2019/05/cannes-2019-the-lighthouse-review.html ‘Pattinson spends the first half sulking around, his eyes darting every which way as he attempts to make sense of his dreary surroundings. But when the material calls for him to unleash his fury, his eyes bulge and his body quakes in a pure show of physical intensity. It’s the sort of showboating the actor tends to avoid, but this histrionic material gives him the ideal excuse to lash out, and with winning results.’ https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/the-lighthouse-review-robert-pattinson-cannes-2019-1202142861/ ‘[…] when [Pattinson] spits out a speech about how sick he is of listening to the old man, it’s the most ferocious acting of Pattinson’s career […] As the movie goes on, his eyes begin to burn in their sockets.’ https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/the-lighthouse-review-robert-pattinson-willem-dafoe-1203220127/ ‘Pattinson portrays with deep seeded frustration below the surface until he slowly reaches a passionate roar. The 33-year-old actor has simply never been this raw on screen before. There are moments where Pattinson is so transformative it’s jarring. You simply never thought he had it in him.’ http://collider.com/the-lighthouse-review-robert-pattinson/

Next year it could be between Pattinson and Phoenix. I’m excited!

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure I would go so far as to say that DiCaprio deserves a Razzie, though I would not give him the Oscar, either.

If anything deserves a Razzie, it’s that damn acronym. OUATIH?? Gross and offensive.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emil Petrov
    Participant
    Topics:

Love to see that Joaquin Phoenix is starting to move up for he Joker. It will be awesome if he can get the nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

My guesses thus far:
    1)DiCaprio, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    2)Hanks, It’s A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood BUT if Hanks goes supporting I am going with Zac Efron, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile
    3)Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    4)De Niro, The Irishman
    5)Driver, Marriage Story or Driver, The Report

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  vinny.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  vinny.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Dicaprio a lot, but he did nothing exceptional in OUATIH and consequently, he will win nothing.

It really is time for Joaquin Phoenix to clench his long overdue Oscar. I’d also love to see Adam Sandler put up a good fight for Uncut Gems and Robert Pattinson finally score a nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Dicaprio a lot, but he did nothing exceptional in OUATIH and consequently, he will win nothing.

It really is time for Joaquin Phoenix to clench his long overdue Oscar. I’d also love to see Adam Sandler put up a good fight for Uncut Gems and Robert Pattinson finally score a nom.

Could win Lead Actor-Comedy but yes no chance of Lead Oscar

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Zac Efron, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

this isn’t happening

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

the win here is between Driver and Phoenix, with Pryce being an unknown possibility. I don’t see any of the other contenders being win-competitive

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Driver winning on his 2nd nomination would make sense but neither of his roles (The Report, Marriage Story) seem flashy enough to me. So, we’ll see.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Who I’m rooting for:

Joaquin Phoenix – The Joker
    Adam Driver – Marriage Story
    Daniel Kaluuya – Queen and Slim
    Robert Pattinson – The Lighthouse
    Timothée Chalamet – The King

Who I’m predicting :

Joaquin Phoenix – The Joker
    Adam Driver – Marriage Story
    Leonardo diCaprio – Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
    Christian Bale – Ford vs Ferrari
    Antonio Banderas – Pain and Glory

GIVE LENA HEADEY HER EMMY

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Driver winning on his 2nd nomination would make sense but neither of his roles (The Report, Marriage Story) seem flashy enough to me. So, we’ll have to see.

I mean it definitely won’t be Winston Churchill/Freddy Mercury level flashy, but I expect Marriage Story will give a lot of emotional material to work with. He’s an indie darling that’s headlining Star Wars and two awards-season movies, he’s got a banner year and it feels like it’s his time. I’m also betting on Marriage Story having a similar reception/awards trajectory as Manchester by the Sea, thus I’m betting on it taking actor and screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.