Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 507 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Thatcher
Seven
  • Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Of course he didn’t.

Movie stars die all the time and 99.99 % of the time they are not handed posthumous awards. But of course we use the 00.01 % as proof that death is a free pass to awards recognition.

Movie Stars 99.9% of the time don’t have a stellar performance like Ledger in The Dark Knight. However, no matter how good the performances in the movies are, comic book movies tend to be ignored at the Oscars in main categories.

A fact: Jack Nicholson has 3 Oscars and a brilliant performance as the Joker in 1989. Had he died that year, I wonder if he would get nominated.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Marcel.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Marcel.
    Pamela Isley, Poison Derby
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman has 160$m too so I guess they’ll both flop.

At least that movie will be good for sure.

Come join me. My garden needs tending.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher has some things to say about Best Actor after her glorious return:

1. Husband Driver is a lock to be nominated, but he’s not winning. Period.

2. The response to Joker Phoenix has been overwhelming, even if the film is divisive, his performance seems a knockout (I will probably find it disgusting, but anyways) and is the frontrunner right now.

3. Shouty DiCaprio is being deservedly snubbed, as his movie will lose hype as some users stated and his performance isn’t the standout of the movie.

4. Addicted Banderas is getting a nod but he’s not winning.

5. Christian Bale isn’t winning

6. Robert Pattinson will be loved by critics in The Lighthouse.

7. Robert De Niro is getting snubbed as nobody is going to think his 70th gangster portrayal is Oscar-worthy.

I was your Prime Minister once.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher has some things to say about Best Actor after her glorious return:

1. Husband Driver is a lock to be nominated, but he’s not winning. Period.

2. The response to Joker Phoenix has been overwhelming, even if the film is divisive, his performance seems a knockout (I will probably find it disgusting, but anyways) and is the frontrunner right now.

3. Shouty DiCaprio is being deservedly snubbed, as his movie will lose hype as some users stated and his performance isn’t the standout of the movie.

4. Addicted Banderas is getting a nod but he’s not winning.

5. Christian Bale isn’t winning

6. Robert Pattinson will be loved by critics in The Lighthouse.

7. Robert De Niro is getting snubbed as nobody is going to think his 70th gangster portrayal is Oscar-worthy.

Lena Headey is also not winning Supporting Actress Emmy for her window photoshoot in GOT S8.
    https://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/expert-predictions/emmy-awards-2019/drama-supp-actress/sort/recent/

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

For once I have to agree with the prime minister. I took DeNiro out of my predictions after Bale started getting a ton of buzz for Ford v Ferarri 2 days ago. His performance is being compared to what he did in The Fighter, which won him Supporting Actor, and Bale seems to be nominated every time he has a good performance in a big Oscar contender (which Ford v Ferarri absolutely is after the huge reaction audiences gave it at Telluride). Meanwhile, DeNiro hasn’t been nominated for Actor since 1992, and I don’t think Netflix will be able to get 2 nominees in this category (and Driver is a lock unless he frauds supporting).

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Movie Stars 99.9% of the time don’t have a stellar performance like Ledger in The Dark Knight. However, no matter how good the performances in the movies are, comic book movies tend to be ignored at the Oscars in main categories.

A fact: Jack Nicholson has 3 Oscars and a brilliant performance as the Joker in 1989. Had he died that year, I wonder if he would get nominated.

Exactly my point: the performance was stellar, to the extent that it was undeniable and overcame all kinds of obstacles and bias. It helped that the movie was received exceptionally well for a genre film.

Even when an actor dies and does have a good performance released the same year, 99.9 % of the time they’re not even nominated. Ledger’s death being the reason for his win has become a self-serving myth.

No-one is ever nominated in a vacuum of course and it’s impossible to name every single factor that influenced voters’ decisions. Maybe some of them decided to vote for him just because he was dead, and quite possibly some decided not to vote for him because they wanted to vote for someone who was alive. But the death of an actor obviously doesn’t generally result to awards recognition, so it’s silly (as well as way too convenient and easy) to think that was the reason Ledger won.

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly my point: the performance was stellar, to the extent that it was undeniable and overcame all kinds of obstacles and bias.

If you think that I am agreeing with you, that means you don’t get my point. He had a stellar performance + he died.

Jack Nicholson has THREE Oscars, is one of the best actors of all time, he gave us a very remarkable performance as the Joker, and didn’t even get a nomination. Had he died in 1989, I believe that would have helped him.

Even when an actor dies and does have a good performance released the same year, 99.9 % of the time they’re not even nominated.

Can you tell me at least one example of actor dying who had a stellar performance shortly before his death and didn’t get a nomination? Is there genre bias against the genre of the movie he’s been in?

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I have read all Ford vs Ferrari reviews and Bale is supporting in it and Damon is lead as per them.Bale can win now?
    https://deadline.com/2019/08/matt-damon-christian-bale-oscar-ford-v-ferrari-tellurideride-film-festival-1202708572/

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

Who cares? An Oscar is an Oscar

unown
    Participant
    Topics:

Trust me, bale cares.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Caine does.

lorelei lor
    Participant
    Topics:

Well I highly doubt Bale stands a chance in Best Actor anyway. Even Supporting is almost locked. It will be hard to knock down Pitt.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Jack Nicholson may have given a great performance as the Joker, but Heath Ledger’s interpretation was completely superior in every conceivable way.

While on the topic of Nicholson, does anyone know if he was campaigned as leading or supporting that year? I know he was definitely a lead in that film, with many people actually criticizing the movie for placing more focus on Batman’s nemesis rather than Batman himself. I recall that the Globes nominated him in lead (could be one of those cases where they chose to put someone in their rightful category rather than where they were being campaigned, similar to Hugh Grant, Alicia Vikander, or Rooney Mara) while Bafta nominated him in supporting.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Brad is unbeatable. He’s just OUATIH surest bet.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    JanisEye
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol, no. Pitt is finally winning his acting Oscar. This is it.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.