Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 485 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Thatcher, Pri..
Seven
  • Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

Some thoughts…

If Just Mercy ends up being critically acclaimed, then Michael B. Jordan is getting in Best Actor. He’s too loved by the industry and overdue for his first nom (after snubs for Fruitville Station, Creed and Black Panther).

No one is a lock just yet. I do think Adam Driver and Joaquin Phoenix are the strongest contenders so far (based on reviews).

I think Leo is vulnerable. Comedic performances tend to get overlooked by Oscar.

I saw Antonio Banderas’s Performance in Pain & Glory. It is brilliant, he’s playing his director and he is overdue for industry recognition, but I fear it might be just a bit too subdued for how stacked the competition is going to be.

I think Robert De Niro really needs to deliver a fantastic performance in order to score a nom. Oscar doesn’t owe him anything and that makes him snub-able.

I agree on Jordan. However, I do think Driver is as good as a lock. I wanna see Joker play out a little longer before I put in Joaquin so I get your hesitation. That being said, I’m ready to give him the win (and definitely the nomination) if the buzz can sustain.

I agree Leo is vulnerable. I hope not because I think he’s great in OUATIH.

I never put Banderas in because everyone is calling the performance very subtle. I think it’s fair to say Pain and Glory is not breaking into Best Picture and that only hurts his chances further.

I have no clue what to think about De Niro.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

There was no “actual lead” in The Favourite. There were three co-leads. Colman’s character was simply the heart of the film and as such most people consider the lead. End of.

Darling, literally everyone knows Emma Stone was the lead… even the title (“The Favourite”) talks about her… It was a joke that Stone was supporting and Supporting Colman won for lead. The only supporting actress (and it can be argued) was Classy Weisz!

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Pain and Glory won’t be The Artist so I am not sure about him now.I don’t think it can earn Best Picture or any other major nomination.

De Niro won’t be nominated,there you go I said it.Until or unless he do some peak Bobby B stuff and Irishman is unbelievably good.The de-aging effect puts a negative effect on actor’s facial expression.

DiCaprio can be snubbed also very likely,now that I think about his too much comic performance not that it’s not perfect scene to scene,too much stacked lineup and he is previously snubbed on numerous occasions so..

As of now only Joaquin and Driver are lock for nomination.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    kellis
    Topics:

Stone enters Supporting territory once Weisz leaves when her presence isn’t as powerful as before and Colman takes over, so there not being a consistent or actual lead is a pretty fair statement. How I see it:

• Stone: Lead from the beginning till Weisz is kicked out, and is basically borderline Supporting at the end.
    • Colman: Supporting for a time in the beginning, then lead after that all the way to the end.
    • Weisz: Lead in the first third, disappears in the middle, Supporting in the rest.

If there’s anyone whose Supporting, it’s undoubtedly Weisz. Despite Stone having a little more screen time than Colman, it’s pretty clear to me that there really isn’t a clear lead between the two. I could care less about Stone’s placement though because she wouldn’t have made my personal lineup before other actresses either way lol.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Even though there’s no ‘actual lead’ in The Favourite Stone’s fraud is still massively egregious. Like she has the most screentime and is the biggest star. She should’ve gone Lead no matter what.
    The last time two Actors got nominated in Lead for the same film was ‘Amadeus’, but if Ali would’ve gone Lead last year, both him and Mortensen would’ve gotten in pretty easily.
    Also I’m pretty sure Pitt would’ve gotten in Lead before DiCaprio if they both submitted in the right category.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Hoster1.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Hoster1.
    Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Just curious as to why people are sure that Pryce stands a better chance of a nomination that Hopkins for The Two Popes? They both look equally as good from the trailer. plus Hopkins has been nominated 4 times before (albeit not since the 90’s). Is it because Pryce was in The Wife and people may remember him from that?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Would a good Two Popes equivalent be Frost/Nixon? I know Academy is changing but am struggling to think of an endless talking two hander as a BP nominee.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

What I’m struggling to fathom is more than one netflix film getting into the line-up. It’ll probably happen, and when and if it will, it’ll just solidify that the netflix bias is irrelevant.

I think more than one will…

but Marriage Story and The Irishman only is a hard ceiling to reasonable likelihood. It would take a miracle to get a third film in, or the complete collapse of the competition.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

This one is puzzling to me. I think Antonio is in by a combination of critics and Hollywood friends. I think Adam is locked for Marriage Story. People seem to be rooting for Joaquin and Leo/De Niro seem to be presumed for now as well.

But then there’s Michael B. Jordan, Mark Ruffalo, Jonathan Pryce, Christian Bale, Taron Egerton, Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler, Edward Norton — insanely packed. But like the 2020 Democratic field, there seems to be a pretty firm set of frontrunners.

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Matt Damon’s name appear visibly before Christian Bale in all Wikipedia,Trailer and ImDb credits.I am bit surprised how come Matt Damon be supporting then.If anything it’s co-lead or Bale might be supporting.I don’t see Damon being supporting.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Pte-TIFF:

Leonardo DiCaprio – OUATiH
    Adam Driver – Marriage Story
    Michael B. Jordan – Just Mercy
    Joaquin Phoenix – Joker
    Jonathan Pryce – The Two Popes

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

Is there confirmation on whether Sterling K. Brown is going lead or supporting for Waves?

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 485 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.