Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 507 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Thatcher
Seven
  • linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Will Smith gets a Lead Actor nomination for Gemini Man

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I would be quite shocked if Gemini Man doesn’t end up flopping tbh

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw the trailer for “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” and felt that Tom Hanks’s performance as Mr. Rogers felt off to me, not quite right – maybe once I see the whole movie it will work but he didn’t feel like Mr. Rogers to me, it felt strained ): Disappointed but again maybe I will enjoy it more in context of the whole movie?

That’s odd, seemed quite the opposite to me, very relaxed. However good or bad the movie ends up being, Hanks as Rogers is kind of a duh casting; quite probably no other actor was possible.

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s odd, seemed quite the opposite to me, very relaxed. However good or bad the movie ends up being, Hanks as Rogers is kind of a duh casting; quite probably no other actor was possible.

i feel like Michael Keaton would’ve been quite good fit too tbh

linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be stunned.

Anything can happen

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

i feel like Michael Keaton would’ve been quite good fit too tbh

I think Keaton is too biting for Rogers, and may have brought an unintended level of irony to his portrayal. Hanks’s calm earnestness is an ideal fit, at least as far as I can tell, though there’s a concern that the role may not test him enough.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

From the people you’ve listed only De Niro, Driver, DiCaprio, Pryce, Banderas and maybe Hanks have a chance. Pitt is supporting. So that makes 5-6 contenders with the potential of Pryce, Driver and De Niro not having the material after all.
    From what I hear, Pryce however delivers a Helen Mirren in The Queen type of performance, so if there’s goodwill he might indeed be this year’s winner.

I meant Pitt in Ad Astra if it’s any good. I have no clue. I’m also not sure why you’re counting out Kaluuya or Jordan. I don’t think we’ll see 5 white guy nominees and I’m just not buying the Banderas hype yet. In general, I think Queen and Slim might be big. And I have heard good things about Just Mercy.

How many of those are starring in a top 3 film where the acting is one of the most praised aspects?

I am not sure how you can know which ones are top 3 yet. I feel like it’s way too early in the season to make that call. Last year at this point no one knew what Green Book was and it pulled two acting noms and BP. BoRap certainly wasn’t a top 3 film and even then people didn’t come around to predicting Malek til he started happening.

My personal Top 10 of 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4) Joker 5) Jojo Rabbit 6) The Peanut Butter Falcon 7) Marriage Story 8) Luce 9) Yesterday 10) Hotel Mumbai

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

BoRap certainly wasn’t a top 3 film and even then people didn’t come around to predicting Malek til he started happening.

2017 Oscars were lowest viewed and discussed Oscars of all time so that kicked Academy to bring on popular good films as nominees.Now you remember the travesty of Academy trying to introduce “Best Popular” film just to bring in viewership.Black Panther was a good film but certainly not the best Superhero film in 2018 to become first Superhero BP nod.BO Rap was okay and it’s campaign was brilliant and it exceeded expectations on box office adding to the fact it was ode to one of most loved entertainer of all time “Freddie Mercury”.I can see again this year popular good movies getting the nominations for BP and in other categories as Academy wants viewership and buzz.This is the reason,I see OUTIH and Joker being big at Oscars next year.They will be well received and high earning movies,ticking all boxes.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Keaton is too biting for Rogers, and may have brought an unintended level of irony to his portrayal. Hanks’s calm earnestness is an ideal fit, at least as far as I can tell, though there’s a concern that the role may not test him enough.

Yeah, I completely agree. Michael Keaton always seems angry to me. Mr. Rogers was not angry

Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

We just saw 5 white nominees this year.

Rami Malek is Egyptian.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a Get Out rip-off.

How are Get Out and Queen Slim anything alike. One is a Horror and the other is a Bonnie & Clyde story.

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Rami Malek is Egyptian.

I feel like a lot of people tend to forget that not only here on GD but in general

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  vinny.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  vinny.
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Egyptian a race, though? I don’t know if people know for sure.

And Rami Malek can definitely pass for white.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve definitely posted this before during last year’s Best Actor threads when people were arguing about Malek’s race lol, but Egyptians are Afrocentric displaced from Arabic, Macedonian, and Roman conquests. So, no, he clearly isn’t white. And off-topic, but the real Sasha needs to come back to give us quality takes vs. what we’re getting now from this other Diaz account.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Emil Petrov
    Participant
    Topics:

I am little late to the party. Can someone tell me what happended with JOKER? As I understand the script has leaked and has people worried? Why? Is it bad?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.