Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 145 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Seven
Thatcher
  • Chimichanggas
    Participant
    Topics:

*SCREENSHOT THIS
    *Joker 2019 will be a critical darling and smash hit box office movie and it will unlike any comic book ever made.Phoenix will give a performance for ages.He will handle Joker/Arthur Fleck unlike anyone has ever had and especially will be most mature Joker ever.This will be perhaps most dark comic book movie and performance ever and Todd Phillips best till date,his most Scorsese-Esque work ever.At the end Joaquin will sweep all lead actor awards everywhere and even the much deserving Oscar and then I will celebrate.

The audacity lol. Hahaha I’m pretty sure no one will screenshot this.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like a lot of people tend to forget that not only here on GD but in general

Agreed. Probably because it may not be obvious at first glance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

The audacity lol. Hahaha I’m pretty sure no one will screenshot this.

I just did just to prove you wrong. :p But it will be hilarious if the film gets absolutely shite reviews and flops, though I don’t think that will happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t understand the skepticism towards Joker. It looks like a big success and the trailer has me so hyped

This said, Joaquin doesn’t like to play the game so idk if he’ll be able to win on the strength of his performance alone

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Seven.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been a little out of the loop lately, and just recently I’m getting back into watching Oscar buzz and predictions. I’m particularly curious about Adam Driver. Last time I checked, it sounded like his performance in The Report could be a real contender, but now on this site he’s ranked higher for Marriage Story(last I checked he’s 3rd place). What does everybody think he’s more likely to get in for? And does anybody think that having two well received performances (I know he’s already got a lot of praise for The Report in it’s early reviews, and while I believe nobody’s seen Marriage Story yet, I’m guessing he’s going to get strong notices for it as well, since there’s seemingly a lot of hype surrounding the film, and Driver always seems to get praise for all his work) this year could help Driver ultimately score a win?

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a friend on twitter who lives in Barcelona and he has seen “Pain and Glory”.He tells me that Antonio Banderas’s performance in this one is best male lead performance he has seen since Casey Affleck in “Manchester By Sea”.He says that he don’t think there will be a performance of this calibre across all 4 categories this year.Last time a foreign film won “Best Actor” was 2011 with “The Artist” but that was a box office hit in US and also very strong as a film so.I trust the words of a man as he reviews movie’s actually after he sees them.Antonio don’t have a “Gary Olman” sort of overdue narrative but seems as he is really good in this one.He has won “Best Actor” at 3 different festivals even Cannes.

Darling, I’ve seen “Pain and Glory” and I have to say Banderas was very good and would deserve to get a nod, but definitely not Oscar-worthy to Thatcher. Penélope Cruz was outstanding (and supporting) and so was Asier Etxeandia (who was the MVP for my taste).

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!

Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Going by Prediction Center category placements:

Frontrunners

Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Adam Driver, Marriage Story

Next in line

Antonio Banderas, Dolor y Gloria
    Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Strong possibilities

Christian Bale, Ford v. Ferrari
    Robert De Niro, The Irishman

Possibilities

Taron Egerton, Rocketman
    Daniel Kaluuya, Queen & Slim
    Michael B. Jordan, Just Mercy
    Timothee Chalamet, The King
    Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes
    Eddie Murphy, Dolemite Is My Name
    Gary Oldman, The Laundromat
    Adam Driver, The Report
    Robert Pattinson, The Lighthouse

Longer shots

Adam Sandler, Uncut Gems
    Will Smith, Gemini Man
    John Lithgow, Fair and Balanced
    Eddie Redmayne, The Aeronauts
    Edward Norton, Motherless Brooklyn
    Mark Ruffalo, Dry Run
    Brad Pitt, Ad Astra

Theoretical possibilities

Ian McKellen, The Good Liar
    Lucas Hedges, Waves
    Ansel Elgort, The Goldfinch
    Dev Patel, The Personal History of David Copperfield
    Jon Hamm, Lucy in the Sky
    Jimmy Fails, The Last Black Man in San Francisco
    Shia LaBeouf, Honey Boy
    Daniel Craig, Knives Out

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions, as of right now, are

Leonardo DiCaprio (Probably the first frontrunner to get a nomination, based on the raves he’s been getting from critics and audiences. I’m not very confident he will win though, since comedy performances aren’t usually recognized)

Adam Driver (I think Driver might be the one who wins this year, specifically for Marriage Story. He already has a nomination, but no win, and his performance has been getting a ton of buzz.)

Tom Hanks (He hasn’t been nominated in a while, but this performance just seems too heartwarming to ignore. Plus, the academy loves to nominate people playing beloved real people, and no one’s more beloved than Mr. Rogers.

Joaquin Phoenix (His performance in the trailers looks fantastic, and everyone who’s seen Joker has called him Oscar worthy. The only thing holding Phoenix back is that he’s playing a comic book character.)

Antonio Banderas (I expected the buzz for this film to taper off after Cannes, but it’s still going and he’s winning more awards. If Banderas can keep the hype going into the fall, I think he can easily earn a nomination.)

I actually think DeNiro will be snubbed, since his more subdued performance probably won’t keep up with the more flashy contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

LOL @ people still predicting Hanks after all his snubs. He got snubbed as Walt Disney. He got snubbed after hitting BFCA-SAG-GG-BAFTA. He gets snubbed while his co-stars get nominated. You couldnt pay me money to predict Hanks.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mickmack
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions, as of right now, are Leonardo DiCaprio (Probably the first frontrunner to get a nomination, based on the raves he’s been getting from critics and audiences. I’m not very confident he will win though, since comedy performances aren’t usually recognized) Adam Driver (I think Driver might be the one who wins this year, specifically for Marriage Story. He already has a nomination, but no win, and his performance has been getting a ton of buzz.) Tom Hanks (He hasn’t been nominated in a while, but this performance just seems too heartwarming to ignore. Plus, the academy loves to nominate people playing beloved real people, and no one’s more beloved than Mr. Rogers. Joaquin Phoenix (His performance in the trailers looks fantastic, and everyone who’s seen Joker has called him Oscar worthy. The only thing holding Phoenix back is that he’s playing a comic book character.) Antonio Banderas (I expected the buzz for this film to taper off after Cannes, but it’s still going and he’s winning more awards. If Banderas can keep the hype going into the fall, I think he can easily earn a nomination.) I actually think DeNiro will be snubbed, since his more subdued performance probably won’t keep up with the more flashy contenders.

Im pretty sure Driver has a subdued role in Marriage Story too. De Niro is playing a hitman, how subdued can you be killing people and hanging out with gangsters.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking over this year’s potential nominees the one I am rooting for the most is Antonio Banderas for Pain and Glory (: He sure has come a long way since his supporting performances in Almodovar’s Laws of Desire and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. My favorite performance of his up to this point was in The Skin I Live In, where he plays an obsessive father-doctor who gets revenge on his daughter’s (seeming) rapist by giving him a sex change operation! Then he gets involved with “her”! He does seem to do his best film work with Almodovar at the helm as his director. Banderas has never been nominated before and I think this one will at the very least get his first nomination – will he join the short list of performers to win for foreign language roles?

I am also hopeful for Ansel Elgort in The Goldfinch. The trailer is amazing and although it will be a downer I think it will pack a huge emotional wallop!

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom Hanks just got moved to supporting, so I’m putting DeNiro in the open slot. Still predicting Driver to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Taron Gayerton should win for Rocketman.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!

Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

*SCREENSHOT THIS *Joker 2019 will be a critical darling and smash hit box office movie and it will unlike any comic book ever made.Phoenix will give a performance for ages.He will handle Joker/Arthur Fleck unlike anyone has ever had and especially will be most mature Joker ever.This will be perhaps most dark comic book movie and performance ever and Todd Phillips best till date,his most Scorsese-Esque work ever.At the end Joaquin will sweep all lead actor awards everywhere and even the much deserving Oscar and then I will celebrate.

Scorcese-esque doesn’t cut it in a year with an actual Scorcese film in contention.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum game!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game-nominated-but-not-for-best-picture/

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sorry but what? DiCaprio deserves a RAZZIE award for his poor performance in OUATIH. Boy, do I ever disagree with this one! He is truly awful in this movie! Sure hoping calmer minds prevail and much better performances show up to knock him out of any contention for any awards this year!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.