Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
John Berchmans
Salsa Club
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Supporting Actor Predictions

1) Brad Pitt (Once Upon A Time in Hollywood *BP)
    2) Al Pacino (The Irishman *BP)
    3) Willem Defoe (The Lighthouse)
    4) John Lithgow (Bombshell *BP)
    5) Christian Bale (Ford vs Ferrari *BP)

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Host De Niro isn’t happening. Why are you so delusional?

I was your Prime Minister once.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all are silly for sleeping on Dafoe. Pesci, Hanks, Hopkins and Waititi are just not happening. Especially the latter two

I love your passionate support for Dafoe but I can’t agree with writing off Pesci, Hanks or Hopkins, all of whom remain distinct possibilities at least until the precursors clear things up. Waititi seems very unlikely, however, given the wealth of possibilities we have this year.

Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, imagine thinking Unfunny Waititi has a shot. I have to laugh. Disgusting to even think about it.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

I love your passionate support for Dafoe but I can’t agree with writing off Pesci, Hanks or Hopkins, all of whom remain distinct possibilities at least until the precursors clear things up. Waititi seems very unlikely, however, given the wealth of possibilities we have this year.

Hanks may have a chance, even with his poor track record, but having seen The Irishman and having zero faith that Netflix will give The Two Popes a proper campaign, I just don’t see Pesci or Hopkins happening. Hanks is another story and I’ll believe it when I see it.

Whereas Dafoe has A24 and this is their most realistic shot at a nomination AND win. They may have had a lackluster 2018 season, but people seem to forget they got Ex Machina a shocking win, Room a Picture nomination, Moonlight a Picture win and Gerwig a historical Director nomination. You better believe they are entering this awards season with a vengeance and Dafoe is their poster boy. Pitt, Pacino and Lithgow will coattail while Brown and Foxx will fight for that final slot.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Whereas Dafoe has A24 and this is their most realistic shot at a nomination AND win. They may have had a lackluster 2018 season, but people seem to forget they got Ex Machina a shocking win, Room a Picture nomination, Moonlight a Picture win and Gerwig a historical Director nomination. You better believe they are entering this awards season with a vengeance and Dafoe is their poster boy.

Well I can agree with this – or at least, hope.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

I love your passionate support for Dafoe

I have no choice but to stan Dafoe after that atrocious snub for The Florida Project two years ago. My heart was so broken at the Globes when him and Metcalf were stopped dead in their tracks by caricatural performances..

Participant
    Topics:

I have no choice but to stan Dafoe after that atrocious snub for The Florida Project two years ago. My heart was so broken at the Globes when him and Metcalf were stopped dead in their tracks by caricatural performances..

Darling, don’t worry. Monochrome Dafoe is snatching that dildo. Shirtless Pitt is not winning.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, imagine thinking Unfunny Waititi has a shot. I have to laugh. Disgusting to even think about it.

You’re letting your bias fuel your thinking. He was well received in a film that’s looking more and more like a genuine contender, and his fans will very likely want to offer him support in several different categories. He’s also helped by the marketing heavily advertising his role. I’m not sure about him, but he has a genuine chance.

Participant
    Topics:

Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

I really dug Brad Pitt in HOLLYWOOD, but never thought he’d been in the conversation, quite honestly. To see him as the frontrunner for so many both in this thread and in the critics’ predictions is pretty terrific.

I really thought Dafoe’s moment came with FLORIDA PROJECT, and then BILLBOARDS came in and blew that sky-high. What really heartens me about him potentially winning is that he’s been on quite a consistent streak, and the actors’ branch of the Academy seems to have taken a shine to him in this stage of his career. The idea that he got in for AT ETERNITY’S GATE, a performance so many of us thought would be among the worthy ones to be overlooked, tells you that voters are paying really close attention to his work across the spectrum. THE LIGHTHOUSE looks thrilling and I can’t wait to check it out. Four nominations in, this might be his time and deservedly so.

That said, this is the acting category this season that I think is hugely precursor-dependent. Some consider Pitt’s work to be surface level; others admire that very detail about it, which allows his character’s violent tendencies to bubble up unexpectedly. He’s also very funny. Dafoe is in what amounts to a black-and-white two-hander drama. There are some other really terrific contenders here, though I don’t yet buy that any of the IRISHMAN men are getting in. Excited to see how this develops.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m starting to think more and more that Hanks is going to get snubbed again. His movie is boring bait and there are bigger contenders in actual best picture threats.

My personal Top 10 of 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4) Joker 5) Jojo Rabbit 6) The Peanut Butter Falcon 7) Marriage Story 8) Luce 9) Yesterday 10) Hotel Mumbai

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel fairly confident at least one of The Irishman actors are making it in. Maybe 2, although I’m not hoping for that.
    On strictly an emotional level and w/o seeing it I hope it’s Pesci. Dragging him out of retirement and all…

JakeT
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m starting to think more and more that Hanks is going to get snubbed again. His movie is boring bait and there are bigger contenders in actual best picture threats.

I’d forgotten all about him. I don’t consider him a contender and would be surprised if he made it in.

Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Willem Dafoe- The Lighthouse

2.  Al Pacino- The Irishman

3. Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

4. Tom Hanks- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

5. Sam Rockwell- JoJo Rabbit

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.