Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
John Berchmans
Salsa Club
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d forgotten all about him.

So has everone else. And that’s why I removed him from my predictions.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re letting your bias fuel your thinking. He was well received in a film that’s looking more and more like a genuine contender, and his fans will very likely want to offer him support in several different categories. He’s also helped by the marketing heavily advertising his role. I’m not sure about him, but he has a genuine chance.

Was he well received though? For every critic who praises him, I see another who cally his performance tacky or unfunny. Roman Griffin Davis seems to be the only actor in Jojo Rabbit getting near-unanimous praise.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m starting to think more and more that Hanks is going to get snubbed again. His movie is boring bait and there are bigger contenders in actual best picture threats.

As someone who has never predicted Hanks, welcome to the club!

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s kinda hilarious and sad at the same time that Pacino is committing category fraud this year when he was so open about hating it in the seventies. He was so offended by being nominated in supporting for The Godfather he didn’t attend the ceremony. How people change… for worse.

I’ve literally never heard anyone say he’s a lead in The Irishman.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

People got used so much to category fraud they just don’t fucking care anymore. Last night Deadline mentioned him along with Pitt, Dafoe, Hopkins and others as this year’s category frauds. Last night I watched the newest Papillon and was thinking that people here would fraud Malek immediately into supporting because he’s been missing some parts of the movie when clearly he’s a co-lead. People like Abraham in Amadeus would be frauded too these days. It’s absolutely disgusting how much corrupt people are these days.

Given the fact that literally every other source seems to think he’s supporting, I’m just gonna assume he’s in the correct category until I see the film.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw the film last week during the Festival Lumière in France (and god I loved it, mostly for its last thirty minutes which broke my heart) and I can affirm that De Niro is the clear and sole lead. He’s the narrator and all the story is told from his point of view.

And I also have to admit that I thought Pacino gave the weakest performance among De Niro and Pesci. His performance is only a festival of punchline. Pesci is a much more interesting character.

Do you consider De Niro as lock for a nomination?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

Given the fact that literally every other source seems to think he’s supporting, I’m just gonna assume he’s in the correct category until I see the film.

I saw the film last week during the Festival Lumière in France (and god I loved it, mostly for its last thirty minutes which broke my heart) and I can affirm that De Niro is the clear and sole lead. He’s the narrator and all the story is told from his point of view.

And I also have to admit that I thought Pacino gave the weakest performance among De Niro and Pesci. His performance is only a festival of punchline. Pesci is a much more interesting character.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

People like Abraham in Amadeus would be frauded too these days. It’s absolutely disgusting how much corrupt people are these days.

I’m pretty sure if one of Amadeus’ leads got put into supporting, it’d be Hulce.

thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you consider De Niro as lock for a nomination?

It’s a really strong performance and I hope he’s gonna be nominated.
    I don’t consider him as lock given the number of plausible possibilites in this category but he definitely has a better chance than Di Caprio or Pryce in my opinion.

My prediciton :

1 – Phoenix
    2 – Driver
    3 – De Niro
    4 – Pryce
    5 – DiCaprio

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a really strong performance and I hope he’s gonna be nominated.
    I don’t consider him as lock given the number of plausible possibilites in this category but he definitely has a better chance than Di Caprio or Pryce in my opinion.

My prediciton :

1 – Phoenix
    2 – Driver
    3 – De Niro
    4 – Pryce
    5 – DiCaprio

He is definitely getting ahead of DiCaprio and Pryce then.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure if one of Amadeus’ leads got put into supporting, it’d be Hulce.

It’d be neither, even today. Sometimes there is no conceivable excuse, nothing to latch onto that could convince anyone that one of a pair of lead actors is supporting. The movie is called Amadeus yet it is somehow more about Salieri. But fudging the actor playing Mozart into supporting would confuse many, and possibly backfire.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s kinda hilarious and sad at the same time that Pacino is committing category fraud this year when he was so open about hating it in the seventies. He was so offended by being nominated in supporting for The Godfather he didn’t attend the ceremony. How people change… for worse.

Meh, my category fraud radar is about as sensitive as yours and I don’t have a problem with Pacino in supporting. He’s entirely absent for approximately the first 45 minutes and the last half-hour, and those are conservative estimates. He has more screentime than lead actors in other movies because The Irishman is so long, but in terms of percentage and narrative I consider his role to be a large supporting one. If the movie was solely from his first appearance to his last he’d be a co-lead, sure, but overall definitely not.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t yet buy that any of the IRISHMAN men are getting in.

Really? I thought Pacino was a shoo-in?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It looks like I’m about the only one who sees Pitt’ s part as Supporting.
    So, come ahead and accuse me of endorsing cheaters.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you. You I can trust. And only you. When I asked last year if Chalamet was leading or supporting in Beautiful Boy those bitches here assured me he was supporting. Then I saw that pos, I mean movie, and he was a clear co-lead. When it comes to category placement I do not trust GD posters anymore.

Since when have you trusted GDers?
    lol

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.