Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor

2020 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 107 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
9 hours ago
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
John Berchmans
  • Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Brad Pitt gonna sweep easy. It’s looking more and more like a Once Upon a Time vs Marriage Story race.

Darling, Shirtless Pitt isn’t winning an Oscar for being shirtless and high lmao. And Once and Always Trash in Hollywod isn’t winning. Marriage Story could be an option for the win though.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!
    If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

01. Brad Pitt, Once upon a time in Hollywood
    02. John Lithgow, Bombshell
    03. Al Pacino, The Irishman
    04. Joe Pesci, The Irishman
    05. Tom Hanks, A beautiful day in the neighborhood

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, Shirtless Pitt isn’t winning an Oscar for being shirtless and high lmao. And Once and Always Trash in Hollywod isn’t winning. Marriage Story could be an option for the win though.

Pitt is overdue and has the vehicle to win now. There really isnt anybody in this category to challenge him. Most of the folks people are predicting now have already won.

I think Once could win easily if it is seen as the lone alternative to Marriage Story. These are the same folks that voted for Green Book just so a Netflix film couldnt win BP, I see them having no qualms awarding a QT film who is probably winning Best Director anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that Pitt will probably win this year, but you guys really aren’t giving Hanks enough credit: he’s a close second place with how much buzz and acclaim he’s been getting from everyone, which is even more than JLo. And please stop mentioning Captain Phillps: that was a different category, and Actor was stacked as hell that year. Supporting Actor this year is not nearly as competitive.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Seems to me like Pitt does have this one in the bag for now. But he’s gonna need a lot of support from the industry to get there because it’s starting to feel like old news. Contenders are being confirmed every day now. I’m sure the majority of Hollywood will be on board like they’ve been for others less famous people, in less important films and with a lesser performance.

The more people come into the race with Oscars already in their hands and less significant fame than Pitt’s, the easier he’ll win.

I would be careful with Willem Dafoe, though. 5th nomination, 3rd year in a row and a legendary Hollywood actor for quite some time already. If The Lighthouse semi succeeds, watch out.

And in that case, don’t forget that at the end of the day, Brad Pitt does have an Oscar already. And apparently he could still win in that category again since they’re putting out nominees almost every year. (Is he still with Plan B?).

As for Hanks, the whole story is about how he keeps getting snubbed. That’s his campaign. Not that he needs another Oscar, unlike Streep in 2011. So I don’t think he’ll be that much of a threat to other contenders for the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Seems to me like Pitt does have this one in the bag for now. But he’s gonna need a lot of support from the industry to get there because it’s starting to feel like old news. Contenders are being confirmed every day now. I’m sure the majority of Hollywood will be on board like they’ve been for others less famous people, in less important films and with a lesser performance. The more people come into the race with Oscars already in their hands and less significant fame than Pitt’s, the easier he’ll win. I would be careful with Willem Dafoe, though. 5th nomination, 3rd year in a row and a legendary Hollywood actor for quite some time already. If The Lighthouse semi succeeds, watch out. And in that case, don’t forget that at the end of the day, Brad Pitt does have an Oscar already. And apparently he could still win in that category again since they’re putting out nominees almost every year. (Is he still with Plan B?). As for Hanks, the whole story is about how he keeps getting snubbed. That’s his campaign. Not that he needs another Oscar, unlike Streep in 2011. So I don’t think he’ll be that much of a threat to other contenders for the win.

Yeah, Hanks won’t win another Oscar because he already has two, but the fact that he’s been snubbed so many times only helps his narrative for a nomination.

Dafoe doesn’t have the movie to win, but he’s on a hot streak right now so he’ll probably still be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Edgar Pereira
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, Best Supporting Actor is the most exciting Oscar race this year. My TOP 10 performances “going supporting” for Oscar (let’s be honest, we know there are a lot of category frauds this year):
    #1: Brad Pitt, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD (I think his nomination is secure but I believe – and hope – he won’t win for this specific role)
    #2: Al Pacino, THE IRISHMAN
    #3: Tom Hanks, A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
    #4: Sterling K. Brown, WAVES (an acclaimed movie, a black actor in a race that needs diversity and a praised performance… and he’s a well-known TV star with recognition) – this year’s Regina King?
    #5: Anthony Hopkins, THE TWO POPES
    ———————————-
    #6: Willem Dafoe, THE LIGHTHOUSE (he’s brilliant, but category fraud… is the movie too artsy?)
    #7: Jamie Foxx, JUST MERCY
    #8: Alan Alda, MARRIAGE STORY
    #9: Joe Pesci, THE IRISHMAN
    #10: Lucas Hedges, WAVES (another raved turn in another big Oscar player… a 2nd Oscar nod must come soon for such a young talent)

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

ReplyCopy URL
    José A. Ramírez Moya
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Dafoe supporting? I feel like he’s getting a nomination for sure. Pitt seems almost like a lock, though. I need to watch The Lighthouse.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

My thoughts about Brad Pitt are very similar to my thoughts about Mahershala Ali last year. I loved his performance and I believe it’s completely worthy of an Oscar. However, much like Ali, I would not vote for Pitt because he’s clearly a leading role. And unlike Ali, who was the secondary lead in Green Book, Pitt is a full on co-lead. Leo’s part is a bit bigger, but not by much. Pitt’s a powerful man. I’m sure he has the clout to say which category he’s gonna campaign for. My respect for him would be through the roof if he chose to be placed in Lead Actor. Of course, even if Pitt wants to be put in lead, the studio will very likely try to convince him to not do so. After all, Pitt in supporting is practically a guaranteed trophy, while it’s extremely unlikely that both he and DiCaprio could both get into lead in such a crowded year. If that happens, they might both be snubbed due to vote splitting, as there doesn’t seem to be a general consensus over which one is better. If Pitt goes supporting, he’s a total lock for a nomination. He’d most likely win, but it’s possible someone else could take it, as it seems to be a rather busy year in Supporting Actor. The early release date could potentially hurt him, but probably not that much. Also, Pitt already having an Oscar likely won’t get in his way when it comes to a win since it didn’t hurt Ali last year. And unlike Pitt, his win was for acting, and only two years earlier. Anyway, I guess that’s my post about Brad Pitt.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert James-Collier (Thomas Barrow in Downton Abbey) gives the best male performance in the large ensemble; he has the most harrowing scene and several of the most elated scenes. He has a gamut of emotions and imo his is the best subplot in the whole entire movie. He absolutely deserves an Oscar nomination. I doubt he will get one, but he deserves one. Every performance is a gem in the movie but for me James-Collier is the best of the men. (The women are stronger: Maggie Smith, Michelle Dockery, Laura Carmichael, Imelda Staunton, Penelope Wilton, Phyllis Logan, Lesley Nichol, Elizabeth McGovern – all amazing!).

ReplyCopy URL
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Remember: The HFPA owed Dafoe two years ago when they inexplicably snubbed him, who was the 100% critics’ darling and a lock in everyone’s prediction at that time, in favor of the totally out of nowhere Sam Rockwell. Dafoe, unfortunately, couldn’t end up like Mahershala Ali who had also been screwed by the HFPA but benefited from an extremely weak race, because Sam Rockwell and his film turned out to be much much much stronger than everyone had anticipated.

We all know it’s the HFPA that starts everything, so there can be two scenarios:

Giving Dafoe a GG they owed him like Mahershala, and thus allowing him to sweep the rest.

Or, keeping the notion that Dafoe is still not good enough and continue to snub him no matter how good he is.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Don’t Need You
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say the owe Dafoe. They probably didn’t think he was the best in the category and neither did he go on to win the Oscar unlike Ali. Unless it’s Dafoe’s year, he’s not winning the Globe.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say the owe Dafoe. They probably didn’t think he was the best in the category and neither did he go on to win the Oscar unlike Ali. Unless it’s Dafoe’s year, he’s not winning the Globe.

Well Dafoe had been pretty much locked up that year until Rockwell, a non-factor prior won at the Globe, along with the movie also winning big at the Globe. I mean I did envision Janney to upset Metcalf (the favorite then) because she’s still a veteran and long and well-liked enough in the industry. But never did I think about Dafoe losing to Rockwell at the Globe (I didn’t even think Rockwell would win anything), it was just so unthinkable to me. And it did happen. So yes, it was indeed Dafoe’s year until the Globe.

And please don’t get me started on Mahershala. Supporting actor that year was just incredibly dull and dude was just really lucky.

ReplyCopy URL
    DevonshireGold
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom Hanks – A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood
    Brad Pitt* – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Sterling K. Brown – Waves
    Anthony Hopkins – The Two Popes
    Alan Alda – Marriage Story or Al Pacino – The Irishman

Possible
    Jamie Foxx – Just Mercy
    Shia LaBeouf – Honey Boy
    Whoever has a tragic but noble death in 1917
    Timothee Chalamet – Little Women

*Brad will go supporting so he doesn’t clash with lead campaign for Ad Astra

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Tearing K. Brown is winning a la King.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 7 hours ago by  Thatcher.
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 7 hours ago by  Thatcher.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!
    If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.