Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscars Predictions (Part 4)

2020 Oscars Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 495 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
Babygirl
Cordelia
  • JakeT
    Participant
    Topics:

According to my sources, aka my film journalist friend who’s seen it, she is like the Nicholas Hoult (from The Favourite) of this film. She’s a scene stealer in a couple of scenes, but completely overshadowed by the DeNiro/Pacino/Pesci trifecta.

If The Irishman does well, could this be enough for her? Hard not to be overshadowed by those guys, and SA is wide open.

Bradley Jackson
    Participant
    Topics:

If The Irishman does well, could this be enough for her? Hard not to be overshadowed by those guys, and SA is wide open.

I don’t think I’m able to answer that question.

Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

Twitter take from critic J Don Birnham for TheSplash:

#TheIrishman is Scorsese’s version of “On the Waterfront” meets “The Godfather,” almost a swan song with an added layer of nostalgia for his own past work. The editing is particularly excellent and all three actors are strong #NYFF57 #NYFF

If this isn’t the definition of a glowing review, I don’t know what is.

My username stands for “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

So Supporting Actor, I think, has developed into a 3-horse race: Pitt vs Pacino vs Hanks.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman reviews are AMAZING. Scorsese is definitely winning Best Director and it’ll win for Best Picture. The Academy will not do better than a Scorsese instant classic. Looking forward to seeing this one.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/irishman-first-reactions-premiere-1243728

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

So Supporting Actor, I think, has developed into a 3-horse race: Pitt vs Pacino vs Hanks.

Don’t forget Dafoe

Luis Jose Martinez Millan
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman reviews are AMAZING. Scorsese is definitely winning Best Director and it’ll win for Best Picture. The Academy will not do better than a Scorsese instant classic. Looking forward to seeing this one. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/irishman-first-reactions-premiere-1243728

Calm down. It’s only September.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Hanks is that big of a threat. He’s been snubbed several times recently. After reading the reviews of The Irishman, this is just Pitt vs Pacino.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Between Marriage Story and The Irishman, Netflix is doing pretty well this year. Both of them look like potentially huge contenders. Also, both have the advantage that they’ll be much more accessible than Roma.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Hanks is that big of a threat. He’s been snubbed several times recently. After reading the reviews of The Irishman, this is just Pitt vs Pacino.

I believe Hanks has a chance, but I agree that this race will be more Pitt vs Pacino. Obviously I have to wait to see The Irishman, but I’d love it if Pacino could win again. he’s a legend who should’ve definitely won more than just one Oscar, and Pitt doesn’t belong in supporting.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe Hanks has a chance, but I agree that this race will be more Pitt vs Pacino. Obviously I have to wait to see The Irishman, but I’d love it if Pacino could win again. he’s a legend who should’ve definitely won more than just one Oscar, and Pitt doesn’t belong in supporting.

Exactly. The Oscars always commit category fraud. Remember Alicia Vikander winning SA for The Danish Girl even though she was a lead? It’s annoying.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

If Rachel McAdams can get in due to movie hype, so can Anna Paquin.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Between Marriage Story and The Irishman, Netflix is doing pretty well this year. Both of them look like potentially huge contenders. Also, both have the advantage that they’ll be much more accessible than Roma.

Didn’t I read somewhere that they are trying to keep The Irishman in theaters longer than Roma was?

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly, Netflix is now better for movies than shows. Bojack Horseman ending is the last great long-running Netflix original. Miniseries like Our Planet and When They See Us have been good, but the sudden cancellations and inconsistent quality mean I haven’t really gotten invested in any new Netflix shows since the cancellation of American Vandal.

Meanwhile, for movies, Netflix has been on a roll. They’re getting great directors, brilliantly managed Oscar seasons (the fact Roma, a foreign language film, got that close to winning Best Picture says a lot), and crowdpleasers.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman current Metacritic score:

My username stands for “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscars Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.