Home Forums Movies 2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 3)

2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 506 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Luca Giliberti
alittle03
  • Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

Yay, TPOTD! 👏🏼 Here you have a win, @methaddiction

Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

How did Indiana Critic’s give most awards to Mass but not award Dowd!

Profile picture
    Lexa
    Topics:

I’m here for Freemangriffin’s meltdown

Profile picture
    marcelo
    Topics:

I don´t understand you, because he love TPOD kkkk

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I recognize that solid well-crafted but inferior movies win awards. Argo, anyone? It doesn’t cause a meltdown. And there is still a possibility that the academy won’t rubber stamp the critics choices this year. Lately they have made some choices over the past decade that go against the expected choice. I think there will be a backlash against TPOTD and if it is a large enough one the expected outcome on here won’t happen. Fortunately TPOTD is a solid and well-crafted movie. It’s just not the best movie of the year, West Side Story is. I have hardly ever agreed with their Best Picture choices, have you?

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Belfast was so close. Thank God, Power stopped it.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

And with that, DeBose is currently leading Supporting Actress, unless Nevada Film Critics decides to award Dunst, thereby trapping us in a never-ending tie between both actresses.

Also, not Jane Campion’s masterful direction being dismissed for West Side Story……Listen, I truly loved and enjoyed what Spielberg did with the musical, but almost no director in contention has topped what Campion achieved in The Dog, and obviously the critics bodies agree lol.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Simply because the film critics have lost their minds doesn’t make it so. Spielberg’s achievement directing West Side Story is in every single aspect better than Jane Campion’s work. They simply undervalue musicals and are blind to The Power of the Dog’s regressive qualities as a movie.

Jesus, you’re so annoying. It’s not regressive.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Film critics […] simply undervalue musicals

That’s not true. “La La Land” and Damien Chazelle won a lot of critics’ prizes, almost as many as “Moonlight”.

Profile picture
    FTomoson
    Topics:

And with that, DeBose is currently leading Supporting Actress, unless Nevada Film Critics decides to award Dunst, thereby trapping us in a never-ending tie between both actresses. Also, not Jane Campion’s masterful direction being dismissed for West Side Story……Listen, I truly loved and enjoyed what Spielberg did with the musical, but almost no director in contention has topped what Campion achieved in The Dog, and obviously the critics bodies agree lol.

Campion’s the best and will win the Oscar but if there’s a runner up, it’s not Spielberg; it’s PTA.

Profile picture
    Hawk
    Topics:

Simply because the film critics have lost their minds doesn’t make it so. Spielberg’s achievement directing West Side Story is in every single aspect better than Jane Campion’s work. They simply undervalue musicals and are blind to The Power of the Dog’s regressive qualities as a movie.

Just because YOU didn’t like the movie as much as WSS doesn’t mean that Spielberg was better than Campion.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Jesus, you’re so annoying. It’s not regressive.

The Power of the Dog being “regressive” is the new Nomadland glorifies Amazon controversy!

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Michael Windfeldt
    Topics:

What defines the best of something? In awards matter it seems like it’s the consensus among a certain group of people. But does that truly make it the best film or the best directed film of the year? I argue that it will always be a subjective matter.
    Personally I have two shelfs in my house. One shelf with every Best picture winner from Wings to Nomadland. And another shelf with my personel favorite from every year. They do correlate (Parasite, One flew over the cuckoo’s nest etc.) But they also differ a lot. The most annoying thing for me would be a TPOTD victory not because of the film (It is interesting), but it would make my collection of Best Picture winners incomplete😅… I am weird I know🤪

FYC:
    Best Picture: Licorice Pizza, West Side Story, Dune.

Best Director: PTA, Denis Villeneuve

Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza.

Best Actress: Alana Haim

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

What defines the best of something? In awards matter it seems like it’s the consensus among a certain group of people. But does that truly make it the best film or the best directed film of the year? I argue that it will always be a subjective matter. Personally I have two shelfs in my house. One shelf with every Best picture winner from Wings to Nomadland. And another shelf with my personel favorite from every year. They do correlate (Parasite, One flew over the cuckoo’s nest etc.) But they also differ a lot. The most annoying thing for me would be a TPOTD victory not because of the film (It is interesting), but it would make my collection of Best Picture winners incomplete😅… I am weird I know

Obviously the idea that a work of art can be objectively the “best” released in a certain year is ridiculous. Best Picture winners are usually some combination of high technical competency (including directing and acting), combined with a popular subject matter among the critics / AMPAS, and a well-orchestrated campaign. Beyond that you can’t really say much about them.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The Power of the Dog being “regressive” is the new Nomadland glorifies Amazon controversy!

I have explained this and it has been misunderstood. This film would have been worthwhile as discourse in 1968 but it is REGRESSIVE in 2021. I have come to understand that it’s regressive nature is precisely why the critics like it – if it wasn’t it would not be winning any BP or Best Director awards! Be annoyed! This whole “subjective” defense is annoying! And I agree: my list of BP’s is almost completely different than theirs with rare exceptions, and sometimes what I root for at the time is not what I wind up thinking is the best years later too. It’s this whole cheerleading for a movie like it’s a cult that bothers me.

Since the expanded list (2009 awards) there have been only 2 BP winners where I was really happy that they won, and several where I was o.k. with their winning, and a few where I really thought the films were uneven such as The Shape of Water, which was half great and half awful imo. If TPOTD wins it will be o.k. but not a great win. Of course it is their opinion and we get to argue about it all on here.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.