Home Forums Movies 2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 3)

2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 506 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Luca Giliberti
alittle03
  • Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

TPOTD’s 8th BP win. Freeman’s 403rd post against the film he insists he really really likes. Gold Standard Trolling.

Profile picture
    marcelo
    Topics:

TPOTD’s 8th BP win. Freeman’s 403rd post against the film he insists he really really likes. Gold Standard Trolling.

Amen

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

This film would have been worthwhile as discourse in 1968 but it is REGRESSIVE in 2021.

Freeman, do you mean retrogressive? Regressive can be reactionary (politically speaking) or it describes taking steps backward (the opposite of progressive). Do you mean to see it’s taking us backward?

I have to say, I’m a little sick of you just not being open to listening. Every time you trot out your “critics don’t matter” arguments, I’ve given you stats about how they do and you never respond, you just repeat the same thing (like how 22/25 of the last critics acting leaders got in, and the ones you bring up are huge exceptions). Every time we explain why we feel it’s a very modern story, you just go back to a post like this.

I do agree: I often don’t agree with BP winners either. They’re rarely my favorite films of the year, and I often do agree with critics groups. Then again Nomadland, Parasite, Moonlight were the films I thought should win out of their lineups, and the fact that they’re all recent gives me hope, but your broader point is correct: it’s rare for me to love the BP winner the most. I don’t know what that has to do with anything here because we all have different faves. If I had my way, Passing would win but alas I do not.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

I think many of us film buffs that follow Oscars get disappointed year after year. There’s only a handful of BP winners that were my favourite film of the year & only a handful that were my favourite of the nominees.

Oscars have always been about popularity rather than quality, it’s just that they accidentally get it right now and again!

This year is a very rare year where my favourite is very much in the race. I’m just going to really try enjoy that, regardless of what happens next.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Freeman, do you mean retrogressive? Regressive can be reactionary (politically speaking) or it describes taking steps backward (the opposite of progressive). Do you mean to see it’s taking us backward?

To some extent yes, taking us backwards, but also for me (not necessarily for anyone else) I am tired of repressed gay sexuality – what I call limped-dick movies – and the way they get praised to the heavens. TPOTD has a great performance in it from Kodi Smit-McPhee which I think creates a problem with perception of the movie as a whole. This is the way the straight world wants to see gay men and the way they want us to be represented in movies. We get alot of posts about representations of people of color, of women, of other minority groups, but when I point out that there may be something regressive (or retrogressive, take your pick of words) I get bashed. If you look at my “If I could vote for the Oscars” list you will see that TPOTD is in my top ten and Campion is in my top five, with BC and KS-M also in my top five in their categories, along with several other categories – I do not hate the movie! I have huge problems with it, what it purports to be about (allegedly “toxic masculinity”) and the film-making methods of direction in particular to tell this particular story. I find stretches of the film dull, but other parts of it really quite strong.

I can understand people finding me annoying since I find others annoying as well. I haven’t been happy with the aggressiveness of TPOTD cheerleaders. This has been an odd year – an actress who I usually like gives a subpar performance and is suddenly the frontrunner for the Best Actress Oscar! But this happens from time to time. At least I like her and can be happy for her and just pretend she’s winning for one of her better performances!

My point about critics is best exemplified by their atrocious reviews for Don’t Look Up – which dares to criticize our entire system, including our out of control insane media culture.

I haven’t seen Licorice Pizza yet but it’s content is problematic just from watching the trailer and reading about it – yet I don’t hear anyone having any problems with it at all – which concerns me as a human being in this world.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

To some extent yes, taking us backwards, but also for me (not necessarily for anyone else) I am tired of repressed gay sexuality – what I call limped-dick movies – and the way they get praised to the heavens. TPOTD has a great performance in it from Kodi Smit-McPhee which I think creates a problem with perception of the movie as a whole. This is the way the straight world wants to see gay men and the way they want us to be represented in movies.

OK. In that case the word you’re looking for is “hackneyed” or “traditional”. I don’t care that TPOTD is in your top 10, I’ve heard it a lot, I promise you: you’ve said it enough. Now let me try to calmly describe why you’re frustrating to engage with.

First, I have not seen you engage with the arguments that this is not anywhere near as much a story about sexuality as it is about gender performance. You’re being incredibly reductive: in an ensemble of 4, only 1 character fits what you call “regressive” i.e. Phil, and as a queer person who was born male, this story cut deep for me with the book when I first read and with the film. Rose and George are ostensibly straight, and Campion very much purposefully removed any explicit suggestion of Peter being queer, as Kodi confirmed. Second, this is a story about all of them, I do not believe you can fully appreciate this film until you see that Campion cares deeply about at least 3 of the 4 (but technically all 4), which again I have not seen you do, I simply see you banging on and on about how Dunst doesn’t deserve it or whatever. To circle back, this is about gender performance, performativity and actually — in our current world where gender presentation is no longer seen as fixed but as performed, this is very current in a way it would not have been even 5 years ago. It also happens to be about class (explored most through Rose), agency (Rose & George), how strength & intelligence (Peter), kindness (Rose) can be mistaken for passivity and weakness, how the modern ranch was being made at this time (Phil is the old, George is the new). It happens to be about power (all of them), and how class, power, gender performance, all of it intersect.

You are being reductive in my opinion, and I have just as much a right to judge how “regressive” a story is as you, and I see no evidence that your take is the consensus when many many people discussing this film very much seem to find it very rich and topical. Now, all this has been said before and you never responded, you’re just repeating yourself so I am very much being sincere when I say: Ok sure you’re frustrated by TPOTD fans’ aggression but you’re inviting as much as possible by not having any kind of exchange, you keep saying the same things and reverting as if nothing was said to you in response and that is deeply deeply frustrating. Okay? I have genuinely been softer with you than with “trolls” because you seem genuine, but it’s hard not to think you just disregard what you don’t like and keep repeating yourself. I also never really saw you engage with a long conversation myself and other users had about whether West Side Story is doing enough to be a truly modern “update” or not. I just see….. you punching down on the fans of one film alone repetitively. PLEASE do not belabor your fave films & performances anymore, I know them almost by heart at this point, we get it PLEASE.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The Power of the Dog being “regressive” is the new Nomadland glorifies Amazon controversy!

Lol except I see no articles making the same point. It’s interesting actually, TPOTD as a frontrunner hasn’t caused any dust-ups or backlash or critiques the way Nomadland did or La La Land or any film that was a frontrunner (and if I’m being honest, there’s one thing I did think might cause some backlash. Not the thing Freeman says lol. If you know me you know what thing I mean lol). It’s a bit like Moonlight or Parasite in that respect: I think by and large people respect it’s overall message and recognize its subtlety.

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

I’ve been waiting for Kaziz to drag this guy!

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Licorice Pizza yet but it’s content is problematic just from watching the trailer and reading about it – yet I don’t hear anyone having any problems with it at all – which concerns me as a human being in this world.

You must not be paying attention because there’s been a lot of talk recently about Licorice Pizza

Profile picture
    awardsdontmatter
    Topics:

calling POTD “regressive” while obsessively stanning a remake (!) of a musical (!!) based on a Shakespeare play (!!!) about racial tensions and love conquering all (!!!!). I can’t, you guys.

Profile picture
    Actormogul
    Topics:

I cant With this TPOD is regressive. Here we go.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

TPOTD is set in the 1920s. Any discussion about  regression is trolling. Don’t feed the trolls.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

TPOTD is set in the 1920s. Any discussion about regression is trolling. Don’t feed the trolls.

When a film is set has nothing to do with it. How about having an intelligent discussion about movies we feel passionate about and the issues therein? It is a regressive movie for all the reasons several people have talked about in various threads on here. You can like and admire a movie and have problems with it at the same time!

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

calling POTD “regressive” while obsessively stanning a remake (!) of a musical (!!) based on a Shakespeare play (!!!) about racial tensions and love conquering all (!!!!). I can’t, you guys.

West Side Story isn’t regressive – they have made the film far more current with a superb adaptation of it. Why are people this unable to understand this? A film can be well made and people can have legitimate issues with the way it represents groups that the movie has as characters.

The reason West Side Story is so great is that they made a remake in which it actually resonates for us in 2021.

I am certain there will be a backlash – it has already started – against TPOTD – will it be successful? We will find out in a few months.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I’m not trying to pile on Freeman, who appears to be genuine, but something you said earlier stuck in my craw, where you said Spielberg could do TPOTD but Campion couldn’t do West Side Story.

For one thing, that’s a silly argument: Spielberg would have no interest in doing TPOTD, and vice versa. But more to the point, I don’t actually think Spielberg could do TPOTD. Spielberg is, of course, in the top ten greatest directors of all time, if not top five, but he is not a lyricist or a sensualist in the same way as Campion.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.