Home Forums Movies 2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 5)

2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 496 through 503 (of 503 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
JV
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Can someone explain why CODA was completely snubbed at Indie Spirits apart from supporting actor?

The Indie Spirits are mega weird. This year they gave The Lost Daughter everything except Olivia Colman. They nominated an actor from The White Lotus which is not an indie show, like at all. Last year they nominated I May Destroy You in show but snubbed Michaela Coel in Actress. They gave The Farewell Best Picture but did not even nominate it’s lead Awkwafina. They nominated Marriage Story in Best Picture but snubbed Adam Driver AND Scarlett Johansson AND Laura Dern.

EDIT: Coel, Dern, Johansson and Driver weren’t snubbed due to them being awarded in Ensemble as pointed out by Estrelas and Couverture

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The Indie Spirits are mega weird. This year they gave The Lost Daughter everything except Olivia Colman. They nominated an actor from The White Lotus which is not an indie show, like at all. Last year they nominated I May Destroy You in show but snubbed Michaela Coel in Actress. They gave The Farewell Best Picture but did not even nominate it’s lead Awkwafina. They nominated Marriage Story in Best Picture but snubbed Adam Driver AND Scarlett Johansson AND Laura Dern.

They weren’t snubbed. Marriage Story won the Robert Altman award, which made the cast ineligible for the acting awards.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

They weren’t snubbed. Marriage Story won the Robert Altman award, which made the cast ineligible for the acting awards.

Ok, that’s a good rule tbh.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

How do you guys think this CC/BAFTA fiasco is going to go? Who will be at BAFTA? Who will be at CC? Will some actors be logging in via satellite in order to attend both?

As of now, we know Gaga will be at BAFTA, and I think Benedict Cumberbatch will choose his hometown.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Spirit noms are decided by committees so there’s always some weird omissions, not indicative at all of a film’s strength during the winner’s phase.

PS: Coel wasn’t snubbed either because her show won the ensemble award.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

How do you guys think this CC/BAFTA fiasco is going to go? Who will be at BAFTA? Who will be at CC? Will some actors be logging in via satellite in order to attend both? As of now, we know Gaga will be at BAFTA, and I think Benedict Cumberbatch will choose his hometown.

CC have a separate London venue this year as well so people can attend both that and BAFTA.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

CC have a separate London venue this year as well so people can attend both that and BAFTA.

Lol. CC is so petty but ahead of the game.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

They nominated an actor from The White Lotus which is not an indie show, like at all.

Which is even more odd considering passing a “smell test” is the only eligibility requirement for their TV nominees and it’s atheistic isn’t even remotely indie.

Ultimately, with no budgetary cap (unlike the $22.5 million limit in film), and with most TV projects coming from major networks and studios, Film Independent president John Walsh told me at the time that it would come down to a “smell test”: “aesthetic, original provocative subject matter, unique voice and diversity. The types of work that we celebrate on the film side, and TV side, they’re going to look very similar. … Somehow these singular voices are finding their way into television and making a mark on the culture. We are remiss if we don’t celebrate that.”

If there’s a through line with the 2021 noms, it’s that all five projects tell uniquely personal stories: “I May Destroy You,” about sexual assault and trauma; “A Teacher,” about exploitation, grooming and abuse; “Small Axe,” stories about West Indian immigrants in 1960s to 1980s London; “Little America,” stories about the immigrant experience in the United States; and “Unorthodox,” about a young woman fleeing her strict Hasidic Jewish community.

(x)

Last year they nominated I May Destroy You in show but snubbed Michaela Coel in Actress.

That’s because IMDY won their Ensemble Cast prize and the actors wouldn’t eligible for individual awards. Which I love that they did that, Paapa Essiedu and Weruche Opia finally got well deserved handware for their work.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 8 posts - 496 through 503 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 Film Awards (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.