Home Forums Movies 2021 AACTA International Awards (Australian Academy Cinema Television Arts)

2021 AACTA International Awards (Australian Academy Cinema Television Arts)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Riley Chow
Philip

• Ryusei
    Topics:

I don’t understand why they release them to the public. Then we’re going to know exactly who they snub

Is it really a “snub” if they don’t even make it on a list everyone and their mom is on though?

FYC Everywhere even for people to just watch the show:
    This Is Going To Hurt
    Ben Whishaw
    Ambika Mod

ReplyCopy URL

Miles
    Topics:

It depends on how you define snub I guess! Omit is more accurate

Anyone know when nominations are announced?

ReplyCopy URL

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Topics:

Topics:

Riley Chow
    Topics:

AACTA International Award for Best Film

The Father
    Minari
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

AACTA International Award for Best Direction

Pete Docter
    Soul

Emerald Fennell
    Promising Young Woman

David Fincher
    Mank

Aaron Sorkin

Chloé Zhao
    Nomadland

AACTA International Award for Best Screenplay

The Father
    Mank
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman

AACTA International Award for Best Lead Actor

Riz Ahmed
    Sound of Metal

Chadwick Boseman
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Adarsh Gourav
    The White Tiger

Anthony Hopkins
    The Father

Gary Oldman
    Mank

AACTA International Award for Best Lead Actress

Viola Davis
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Vanessa Kirby
    Pieces of a Woman

Frances McDormand
    Nomadland

Carey Mulligan
    Promising Young Woman

Eliza Scanlen
    Babyteeth

AACTA International Award for Best Supporting Actor

Sacha Baron Cohen

Chadwick Boseman
    Da 5 Bloods

Ben Mendelsohn
    Babyteeth

Mark Rylance

David Strathairn
    Nomadland

AACTA International Award for Best Supporting Actress

Maria Bakalova
    Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Olivia Colman
    The Father

Saoirse Ronan
    Ammonite

Amanda Seyfried
    Mank

Swankie
    Nomadland

AACTA International Award for Best Drama

The Crown
    I May Destroy You
    The Mandalorian
    Mystery Road
    The Queen’s Gambit

AACTA International Award for Best Comedy

After Life
    The Great
    Schitt’s Creek
    Sex Education
    What We Do in the Shadows

AACTA International Award for Best Actor

Jason Bateman
    Ozark

Hugh Grant
    The Undoing

Daniel Levy
    Schitt’s Creek

Paul Mescal
    Normal People

Aaron Pedersen
    Mystery Road

AACTA International Award for Best Actress

Cate Blanchett
    Mrs America

Daisy Edgar-Jones
    Normal People

Nicole Kidman
    The Undoing

Catherine O’Hara
    Schitt’s Creek

Anya Taylor-Joy
    The Queen’s Gambit

ReplyCopy URL

Riley Chow
    Topics:

That Best Film lineup is exactly what I have as the top five for the Oscars, with Minari in fifth and that is clearly the fifth of the nominees here. There is no telling what was in sixth, so that gives me hope that we have the same steep drop-off at the Oscars, resulting in the same lineup of only five Best Picture nominees.

(An obvious answer for sixth place is Mank, but it is telling that it got everything that it could, yet still missed Film here for Minari with no other nominations. We have seen this elsewhere with Mank this season where it is not really a factor in Picture, but dominates in nomination count.)

How on point these nominations are as Oscar predictors in Picture and Screenplay makes the divergence in the acting categories all the more glaring. The Daniel Kaluuya snub is especially bad. Late-breaking contenders regularly miss SAG, but not AACTA, be it Daniel Day-Lewis in Phantom Thread, Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street, Jennifer Jason Leigh in The Hateful Eight or the Little Women. Missing AACTA after getting SAG and then getting nominated for the Oscar is nothing new, but going on to win the Oscar is unheard of. We also saw Judas and the Black Messiah on five longlists here, so they were aware enough of it that a win-competitive performance should have been able to be nominated over all of the filler nominees that we got in the category, not to mention that they nominated Kaluuya for Get Out. Even with vote-splitting, Sacha Baron Cohen has no competition here.

This is a huge blow to Delroy Lindo and Paul Raci, especially since I have already written off the former at BAFTA and with Chadwick Boseman being nominated in supporting here for Da 5 Bloods. I have moved Gary Oldman up to fourth, Lindo down to fifth and Steven Yeun down to sixth.

You will still be early if you join me on this Olivia Colman train that I have been riding forever. I feel better about having Maria Bakalova in second too. AACTA nominated Minari in Film, plus Awkwafina and Song Kang Ho last year. They previously nominated Glenn Close for The Wife (and Amy Adams for Arrival), yet Close is snubbed now.

I cannot explain the Adarsh Gourav or Pete Docter nominations. Those are the most offbeat nominations that we have ever seen from AACTA. Basically everyone else has been an Oscar frontrunner or Australian.

This group did not even nominate Yalitza Aparicio and they still awarded Roma, so Nomadland is definitely winning with those Swankie and David Strathairn nominations. I honestly do not remember Swankie, so I cannot believe that the chatter for her has materialized into an industry nomination. Good to see The Father and Promising Young Woman also dominant as I have been saying.

ReplyCopy URL

FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Don’t even have time to be angry at the Lindo snub because I’m so genuinely baffled at the Docter nomination.

ReplyCopy URL

Riley Chow
    Topics:

What?

ReplyCopy URL

AmnistY21
    Topics:

I could see Adarsh Gourav getting a nom at BAFTA too.

ReplyCopy URL

James Gibson
    Topics:

Many bad choices

ReplyCopy URL

Damiansport1
    Topics:

That Best Film lineup is exactly what I have as the top five for the Oscars, with Minari in fifth and that is clearly the fifth of the nominees here. There is no telling what was in sixth, so that gives me hope that we have the same steep drop-off at the Oscars, resulting in the same lineup of only five Best Picture nominees.

(An obvious answer for sixth place is Mank, but it is telling that it got everything that it could, yet still missed Film here for Minari with no other nominations. We have seen this elsewhere with Mank this season where it is not really a factor in Picture, but dominates in nomination count.)

How on point these nominations are as Oscar predictors in Picture and Screenplay makes the divergence in the acting categories all the more glaring. The Daniel Kaluuya snub is especially bad. Late-breaking contenders regularly miss SAG, but not AACTA, be it Daniel Day-Lewis in Phantom Thread, Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street, Jennifer Jason Leigh in The Hateful Eight or the Little Women. Missing AACTA after getting SAG and then getting nominated for the Oscar is nothing new, but going on to win the Oscar is unheard of. We also saw Judas and the Black Messiah on five longlists here, so they were aware enough of it that a win-competitive performance should have been able to be nominated over all of the filler nominees that we got in the category, not to mention that they nominated Kaluuya for Get Out. Even with vote-splitting, Sacha Baron Cohen has no competition here.

This is a huge blow to Delroy Lindo and Paul Raci, especially since I have already written off the former at BAFTA and with Chadwick Boseman being nominated in supporting here for Da 5 Bloods. I have moved Gary Oldman up to fourth, Lindo down to fifth and Steven Yeun down to sixth.

You will still be early if you join me on this Olivia Colman train that I have been riding forever. I feel better about having Maria Bakalova in second too. AACTA nominated Minari in Film, plus Awkwafina and Song Kang Ho last year. They previously nominated Glenn Close for The Wife (and Amy Adams for Arrival), yet Close is snubbed now.

I cannot explain the Adarsh Gourav or Pete Docter nominations. Those are the most offbeat nominations that we have ever seen from AACTA. Basically everyone else has been an Oscar frontrunner or Australian.

This group did not even nominate Yalitza Aparicio and they still awarded Roma, so Nomadland is definitely winning with those Swankie and David Strathairn nominations. I honestly do not remember Swankie, so I cannot believe that the chatter for her has materialized into an industry nomination. Good to see The Father and Promising Young Woman also dominant as I have been saying.

Wait, you still have Lindo ahead of Yeun for Oscars? That doesn’t make any sense. Lindo is missing everywhere, while Yeun made SAG and has TOP5 film. He is clearly in fifth right now.

ReplyCopy URL

SN
    Topics:

The sample size for the AACTA is quite small. I think it’s still too early to say how bad being snubbed there is.

ReplyCopy URL

William Gillquist
    Topics:

Finally, someone nominated Pete Docter!

FYC Oscars: Licorice Pizza (Best Picture, Best Director, Original Screenplay), The Mitchells vs The Machines (Best Picture, Animated Feature, Original Screenplay), Wes Anderson (Best Director), Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of MacBeth), Andrew Garfield and Robin de Jesus (Tick, Tick...BOOM!), Jayne Houdyshell (The Humans), Stephen Karam (Adapted Screenplay), Attica and Summer of Soul (Best Documentary)

FYC Razzies: Dear Evan Hansen (in all eligible categories)

ReplyCopy URL

Gwen
    Topics:

Kaluuya and Close, the two I predict winning in the supporting categories, both snubbed. Uhm.

Jodie Comer supremacy

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

Everything Everywhere All at Once in all categories
    Luca Guadagnino for Best Director
    Martin McDonagh for Best Adapted Screenplay
    Brendan Fraser, Colin Farrell for Best Leading Actor
    Brendan Gleeson for Best Supporting Actor
    Hong Chau for Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.