Home Forums Movies 2021 Best Animated Feature Thread

2021 Best Animated Feature Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
mateil
Eddy Q
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

So this thread isn’t up yet, but I think this will be a fascinating year for Best Animated Feature so I hosted it. This OP will provide a state of play, with prominent contenders.

THE BIG ONES

These are the ones that I think are the most significant. In all likelihood, these will all make it.

Soul: This film is unseen, but with every indication it seems that Disney has big plans for it to the extent that I think it’s a frontrunner. A Pixar film leaning conceptually, it was originally planned for Cannes and is now debuting at the London Film Festival, followed shortly by the Rome Film Festival. That is a strategy of confidence. Furthermore, it was the one Disney film that didn’t get delayed, suggesting it is in this year’s Oscar race to stick around.

Wolfwalkers: This is the underdog story of this Animated Feature year potentially. Cartoon Saloon is a studio that is three for three with Best Animated Feature nominations, and this is their most acclaimed film yet. Quite frankly, it’s a demonstration of 2D animation artistry. If anything beats Soul, it’s potentially Wolfwalkers.

Onward: It’s arguably been forgotten due to bad timing and not amazing reception, but it’s still Pixar, it will sleepwalk to a nomination.

THE OTHERS

…Yeah, I wasn’t kidding when I said this year was thin. I will list a few films I think could round out the 5

Connected: Sony Pictures Animation and Lord/Miller’s followup collaboration to Spider-Verse, though I’m not sure about this premise.

A Whisker Away: OK, hear me out. Cats? I am only putting this here because it’s Netflix and Netflix can play the animation category’s game fairly well, and because there’s no likelihood of a Japanese animation vote split with the thin year.

The Croods: A New Age: Academy Award nominated The Boss Baby reminded a lot of people never to underestimate Dreamworks’ ability to barge into Best Animated Feature, regardless of quality.

Evangelion 3.0+1.0: There’s not even a release date for this and in no way is this getting nominated, but an Evangelion film getting an Oscar nomination would be fucking hilarious.

Scoob!:  This year had really thin competition.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Soul seems like a lock for Best Animated Feature. Onward will get in too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Will A Whisker Away even be eligible? As far as I can tell, a US theatrical release was never scheduled in the first place, which would appear to mean it won’t qualify. Don’t quote me on that though.

Also a question mark for eligibility is A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon which was nominated for a BAFTA earlier this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    _m4gnu5_
    Topics:

Will Pinocchio be eligible?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Unless Soul turns out to be a critical flop, which I hope to god it isn’t, I don’t see anything else winning. Not even Onward.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trail of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Grammys: Circles (Album of the Year), Good News (Record and Song of the Year), Future Nostalgia (Album of the Year), Don't Start Now (Record and Song of the Year), Everything I Wanted (Record and Song of the Year)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Will A Whisker Away even be eligible? As far as I can tell, a US theatrical release was never scheduled in the first place, which would appear to mean it won’t qualify. Don’t quote me on that though.

Also a question mark for eligibility is A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon which was nominated for a BAFTA earlier this year.

Frmageddon is eligible, no question about it. It had UK premiere in October 2019, so it was eligible for BAFTA, while it came out in USA in February 2020.

It’s a Paddington 2 situation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Evangelion 3.0+1.0: There’s not even a release date for this and in no way is this getting nominated, but an Evangelion film getting an Oscar nomination would be fucking hilarious.

End of Evangelion deserved to win some Oscars in 1997! It just makes you wish they didn’t completely ignore Animated Films, much less Foreign Animated Films.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Anyway, I’ve been doing some research into Animated Films as well this year and you forgot to mention two potential nominees: Over the Moon and Wish Dragon. Both are Chinese animated films that are being produced by Sony Pictures, and are set to release in both the US and China on Netflix in 2020. I think at least one of these will make it in, since Netflix got Klaus in last year when everyone wasn’t expecting it.

My predictions:

Soul

Wolfwalkers

Onward

Connected (if it releases in 2020)

Wish Dragon

alts: The Croods 2 and Over the Moon

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Some screeners of Soul have been sent out.

It’s definitely winning.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Some screeners of Soul have been sent out. It’s definitely winning.

So Disney is committed to releasing it this year. That’s good. I still hope it comes out on Disney Plus, because I don’t want to have to go to theaters to see this film right away.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

I don’t want this to sound ignorant/presumptuous, etc… but I’m finding it difficult to phrase is any other way than Soul’s already won.

(… unless it’s pushed back again… in that case, Wolfwalkers)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I think I will justify this thread’s existence by asking what the rest of the nominees will be, because that’s a lot more unstable and fascinating.

Yeah, Soul is probably going to win, but we still had threads for Actress open last year even though everyone knew who was winning that.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.