Home Forums Movies 2021 Best Animated Feature Thread

2021 Best Animated Feature Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
Marcus.H
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

This isn’t a longlist as such, it’s just a list of eligible titles this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

This isn’t a longlist as such, it’s just a list of eligible titles this year.

Yeah, this is not a shortlist. It’s just a list of eligible films. Last year there were 32.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

The longlist is the complete list of eligible films. The Academy used to release longlists for Animated Feature, International Film, all three short categories, documentary , Visual Effects, even Original Score and Song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Am I the only person who thinks we could see a repeat of last year where Disney doesn’t win all of the precursors but still wins the Oscar? Soul is underperforming pretty hard with critics and Wolfwalkers is overperforming. It’s also even more acclaimed than Soul is.

I feel like we could at least see Wolfwalkers win at the Globes and BAFTA’s. Both organizations seem pretty over Disney.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Am I the only person who thinks we could see a repeat of last year where Disney doesn’t win all of the precursors but still wins the Oscar? Soul is underperforming pretty hard with critics and Wolfwalkers is overperforming. It’s also even more acclaimed than Soul is.

I feel like we could at least see Wolfwalkers win at the Globes and BAFTA’s. Both organizations seem pretty over Disney.

Nope. Soul is sweeping. It’s underperforming in Picture and Screenplay, but it still won more Animated awards than Wolfwalkers (18 vs 7).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Good lord lol. One of my least favorite categories strikes again!

Just treat this like Original Musical: only activate it when there’s a sufficient number of quality submissions.

Anyway, Demon Slayer for the win, I guess lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Am I the only person who thinks we could see a repeat of last year where Disney doesn’t win all of the precursors but still wins the Oscar? Soul is underperforming pretty hard with critics and Wolfwalkers is overperforming. It’s also even more acclaimed than Soul is. I feel like we could at least see Wolfwalkers win at the Globes and BAFTA’s. Both organizations seem pretty over Disney.

Disney didn’t win GG last 2 years because:

2018: The most-acclaimed Spider Man Into the Spider Verse (Sony) won GG as expected. It’s something so strong that we even talked about in BP prediction.

2019: What did Disney get in GG that year? Oh god it’s Frozen2 and ToyStory4…… Soul is literally at Coco/Inside Out level, man.

You again look too much into the “company” thing.  Sometimes just watch the films and you would know what their chances are.  Btw,  Soul is actually doing fine with 18 wins against Wolfwalkers’ 7.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini
    FYC: Soul & Judas and the Black Messiah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Just treat this like Original Musical: only activate it when there’s a sufficient number of quality submissions.

The problem is, who gets to decide what counts as a quality submission? The original musical category I think is activated as soon as there are a certain number of eligible candidates, regardless of quality. Even that hasn’t happened for over twenty years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Fuck it, Demon Slayer was a fun and very well animated anime show, it’d be fun for it to get an Oscar nomination.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

According to The Wrap, there are 27 eligible films in Animated Feature. They are: “Accidental Luxuriance of the Translucent Watery Rebus” “Bombay Rose” “Calamity” “The Croods: A New Age” “Demon Slayer: The Movie: Mugen Train” “Dreambuilders” “Earwig and the Witch” “Kill It and Leave This Town” “Lupin III: The First” “Mosley” “My Favorite War” “Nos Ili Zagoyor Ne Takikh” “No. 7 Cherry Lane” “On-Gaku: Our Sound” “Onward” “Over the Moon” “Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs” “Ride Your Waves” “Scoob!” “A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Faramageddon” “Soul” “The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run” “Terra Willy” “Trolls World Tour” “A Whisker Away” “The Willoughbys” “Wolfwalkers”

What are your predictions? Soul and Wolfwalkers are locks, Onward seems likely and Over the Moon is Netflix main priority. If these four are nominated, the 5th slot would definitely be a non CGI film, because every year there are at least two non CGI nominees. What do you think?

I think we’ll get Soul, Wolfwalkers, two of Onward/The Croods 2/Shaun the Sheep/Trolls World Tour, and one of Over The Moon/Demon Slayer/Ride Your Wave/Lupin III/Earwig and the Witch.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

The problem is, who gets to decide what counts as a quality submission? The original musical category I think is activated as soon as there are a certain number of eligible candidates, regardless of quality. Even that hasn’t happened for over twenty years.

I would hope for an expansive and diverse panel that would determine eligibility, but yeah, I guess the Music Branch Executive Committee isn’t necessarily looking at the quality of submissions. I must have misremembered that.

If I felt up to it, I might mount an argument about the non-necessity of this category, but honestly I prefer to see things like The Wind Rises get noms rather than not haha, even if the expense is also nominating Ralph Breaks the Internet sometimes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I’m honestly still a little stuck on this. I have Soul, Wolfwalkers, Over the Moon, and Onward (even though I only liked 2 of the 4), I think my 5th is just whatever is in fifth right now. Though, as long as its not Trolls I’m good.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

2019: What did Disney get in GG that year? Oh god it’s Frozen2 and ToyStory4…… Soul is literally at Coco/Inside Out level, man.

Toy Story 4 was just as acclaimed as Soul, and it still lost, That’s why I’m skeptical.

John's Best of 2020

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’m honestly still a little stuck on this. I have Soul, Wolfwalkers, Over the Moon, and Onward (even though I only liked 2 of the 4), I think my 5th is just whatever is in fifth right now. Though, as long as its not Trolls I’m good.

It’ll probably be The Croods
    Never underestimate dreamworks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Considering The Croods A New Age has been the only film released in theaters during the pandemic to actually do well, and Dreamworks has been able to get garbage-tier films like The Boss Baby and Shark Tale nominated here, I would bet on that being the 5th Place spot. Trolls World Tour won’t get in because it’s become an industry pariah, and also The Croods has better reviews.

John's Best of 2020

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.