Home Forums Movies 2021 Best Animated Feature Thread

2021 Best Animated Feature Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
Marcus.H
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Nectar
    Topics:

I think another indie film could sneak into the lineup. There haven’t been a lot of surprises since the voting change, but they always make room for at least two indie nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Over the moon may actually be the Frozen 2 of this season
    Gets nominated at song and misses here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Toy Story 4 was just as acclaimed as Soul, and it still lost, That’s why I’m skeptical.

GG and BAFTA were just hesitant to award a sequel of a previous winner, specially one that many people felt was unnecessary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Toy Story 4 was just as acclaimed as Soul, and it still lost, That’s why I’m skeptical.

Are you talking about critic scores? Because

RT: ToyStory4 -97% Coco -97% 
    MTC: ToyStory4 -84 Coco -81

but we all know which one is acclaimed more and what their qualities are.

When I said “most acclaimed” about Spider Man, I’m not referring to critic scores but the direct reactions from audience and industry people.  TS4 is the weakest Disney contender in these years and the least-favorite in its franchise if you have watched it. So when Disney came up with a weak one, it’s not a big deal when some major awards went to other contenders. Why do you guys care the RT/MTC scores so much?  99% on RT doesn’t mean it’s a better film than one with 89%; Winning 20 critic awards doesn’t mean it’s better than winning 15.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini
    FYC: Soul & Judas and the Black Messiah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Toy Story 4 is the weakest Disney winner in recent years.

1. From Industry: It lost every Annie Award category it got nominated and that’s not what critic scores can tell you. People’s real reactions matter more.

2. From Audience: its 7.8 IMDB rating is the lowest in the franchise and among the recent Oscars winner (Inside Out:8.1 /Zootopia:8 /Coco:8.4 /SpiderMan: 8.4)

Btw, though both Wolfwalkers and Soul got 8.1 on IMDB rn, the former only has 9,000+ votes while Soul is 130,000+.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini
    FYC: Soul & Judas and the Black Messiah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Are you talking about critic scores? Because RT: ToyStory4 -97% Coco -97%  MTC: ToyStory4 -84 Coco -81 but we all know which one is acclaimed more and what their qualities are.

Actually, I was comparing Soul to Toy Story 4, but Soul’s stats are the same as Coco’s, only Soul has a slightly higher Metascore at 85.

What I’m trying to say is that the myth that Soul is somehow way more acclaimed than Toy Story 4 is incorrect: they have virtually identical critic scores and they’ve both underperformed with critic associations. So I could see a scenario where the same organizations that snubbed Toy Story 4 last year do the same to Soul, especially since unlike last year, where Toy Story 4 had far more acclaim than any of its competiton, Wolfwalkers has nearly identical scores from critics as Soul does (in fact it’s actually a bit higher on RT).

Of course, it’s also possible that the Globes, Annies, and BAFTA’s didn’t want to reward Toy Story again after Toy Story 3, or they just didn’t like 4 as much. And we know Disney’s regained their goodwill from the industry that they lost from the Fox purchase thanks to their pro-theater business strategies. So we could still see a Soul sweep across the board. I’m just saying: don’t rule out the possibility that Wolfwalkers could snipe a few precursors.

And Soul will win the Oscar no matter what: I have no doubts about that.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Anyway, it’s not important for this year’s Oscar season, but Netflix just bought Sony’s “Connected”, from Phil Lord and Chris Miller (who helped make Into the Spider-Verse), and remained it to The Mitchells vs the Machines. I’m keeping a strong eye on this film, since it’s entirely possible that it may become the early frontrunner for next year’s award.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/netflix-buys-connected-sony-re-titled-mitchells-vs-the-machines-1234610582/amp/

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.