Home Forums Movies 2021 Movies You Absolutely Refuse To See

2021 Movies You Absolutely Refuse To See

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
Jacob "Oscar ..
Awardsfan1990
ReginaIsKing
  • Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

There’s been a lot of threads about movies we want to see, but what about the other side of the coin, movies we DON’T want to see, so much so that we’ll avoid them at all costs?

There are two such films for me. One is Hotel Transylvania: Transformania. I have no desire to see these films, and never will, because the idea of Adam Sandler as Dracula is frankly insulting, especially after the character has been played by actors like Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee, and Gary Oldman. Plus, it’s clear these films are only meant for 5-year-olds. Yet these movies somehow have a huge adult fanbase, which I’ll never understand.

The other film I refuse to see this year is Lamb. While I generally love A24 and their films, this film looks morally repugnant to me because from the trailers, it appears to justify bestiality as a means of exploring grief. As someone who loves animals, the very idea of bestiality makes me sick and angry, so I will be boycotting that film from a moral standpoint.

What films will you be boycotting this year?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Movies like Chaos Walking and Reminiscence and similar movies that are 1. not popular and 2. not awards contenders. If you are neither, then watching you is a waste of my time.

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, Barry, The Great, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Reservation Dogs, Ted Lasso, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Better Call Saul, Ozark, Pachinko, Severance, Squid Game, Stranger Things, Succession, This Is Us, Yellowjackets

Limited Series - Station Eleven

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Chaos Walking and Cherry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Annette

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    irinacx
    Topics:

There are two such films for me. One is Hotel Transylvania: Transformania. I have no desire to see these films, and never will, because the idea of Adam Sandler as Dracula is frankly insulting, especially after the character has been played by actors like Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee, and Gary Oldman. Plus, it’s clear these films are only meant for 5-year-olds. Yet these movies somehow have a huge adult fanbase, which I’ll never understand.

The first one was okay but the others are bad and yeah they are clearly made for kids.
    I haven’t seen Respect because I don’t like biopics, the runtime is too long and the reviews aren’t great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I don’t know if this counts or not, but I wish I never saw Old. Shyamalan manages to get talented actors only to screw them up with his absurd writing and directing.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

The first one was okay but the others are bad and yeah they are clearly made for kids. I haven’t seen Respect because I don’t like biopics, the runtime is too long and the reviews aren’t great.

This. I just wish these musical biopics would just go away, they’re nothing but a ploy to get their lead actor/actress oscar nom/wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Palmer

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Movies like Chaos Walking and Reminiscence and similar movies that are 1. not popular and 2. not awards contenders. If you are neither, then watching you is a waste of my time.

NGL that’s a pretty bad take. There are plenty of great movies that aren’t hugely popular and nowhere near awards contenders because of genre or lack of exposure etc.

Emmy FYC:

Better Call Saul in all categories.

Especially Rhea Seehorn, Bob Odenkirk, Writing, Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

NGL that’s a pretty bad take. There are plenty of great movies that aren’t hugely popular and nowhere near awards contenders because of genre or lack of exposure etc.

I know that people will find that to be a bad take but… ig idc. It’s my prerogative. There are so many movies, given that the medium has been around for over a century, so I feel like I should try to watch as many influential and culturally relevant films as possible. And it’s not like I’m saying that those are the only quality films, im saying those are the only films I’ll watch, because otherwise I myself feel like I am wasting my time. It’s the same thing with shows. If it’s not popular and/or not a series contender, I dont watch it. Not because its inherently not good but because theres other more important things I’d like to watch.

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, Barry, The Great, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Reservation Dogs, Ted Lasso, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Better Call Saul, Ozark, Pachinko, Severance, Squid Game, Stranger Things, Succession, This Is Us, Yellowjackets

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

The other film I refuse to see this year is Lamb. While I generally love A24 and their films, this film looks morally repugnant to me because from the trailers, it appears to justify bestiality as a means of exploring grief. As someone who loves animals, the very idea of bestiality makes me sick and angry, so I will be boycotting that film from a moral standpoint.

Somehow I doubt that’s a serious argument the film will make. Looks like macabre absurdism to me. Just out of interest, do you eat lamb?

I know that people will find that to be a bad take but… ig idc. It’s my prerogative. There are so many movies, given that the medium has been around for over a century, so I feel like I should try to watch as many influential and culturally relevant films as possible. And it’s not like I’m saying that those are the only quality films, im saying those are the only films I’ll watch, because otherwise I myself feel like I am wasting my time. It’s the same thing with shows. If it’s not popular and/or not a series contender, I dont watch it. Not because its inherently not good but because theres other more important things I’d like to watch.

I understand what you’re saying from a pragmatic standpoint, as long as you’re aware that what is not yet ‘influential and culturally relevant’ may become so in the future.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

There is only ONE movie I am dreading and won’t see (and it’s gonna be on Netflix lol): Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed. I want to keep his image in my mind as happy and calming

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I understand what you’re saying from a pragmatic standpoint, as long as you’re aware that what is not yet ‘influential and culturally relevant’ may become so in the future.

Yep, and if a movie becomes so in the future, I’ll surely watch it 😁

Emmys FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

There are so many movies, given that the medium has been around for over a century, so I feel like I should try to watch as many influential and culturally relevant films as possible

I don’t think if a film gets awards recognition it merits that it will be influential or culturally relevant from decades from now. <i>Vice, Ford v. Ferrari, The Darkest Hour, American Hustle, War Horse, The Imitation Game, The Martian</i> have largely been forgotten by now and in a few more years the films will seldom be mentioned in conversation other than discussing previous Oscar contending films. Those are just a few examples but there are so many films that were awards contenders but lack cultural relevance in discussing what the medium of film has to offer. I understand if you only wanted to watch awards contending films if you wanted to become a better pundit or be made more aware of the Academy’s habits of nominating films, but I also don’t think it should be the end be all to watching films.

I will recommend a film that went no where with awards but find it quite compelling when it comes to the film’s explorations surrounding expectations of race and the tokenism of minorities. It has masterful performances from Kelvin Harrison Jr. (who is just waiting for his Oscar vehicle to get his first nomination), Octavia Spencer (one of her career best), and Naomi Watts. It’s superbly directed with tense cinematic shots and the screenplay contains quite a bit of foreshadowing. I would say it’s in the same style of social thriller as.Promising Young Woman with sympathetic but morally ambiguous leads. Anyways this is the trailer of the film if you are interested. A lot of films are overlooked when they aren’t popular or awards contenders, but are equally valuable to the medium.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.