Home Forums Movies 2021 Movies You Absolutely Refuse To See

2021 Movies You Absolutely Refuse To See

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Jacob "Oscar ..
ReginaIsKing
Awardsfan1990
  • Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I don’t think if a film gets awards recognition it merits that it will be influential or culturally relevant from decades from now. <i>Vice, Ford v. Ferrari, The Darkest Hour, American Hustle, War Horse, The Imitation Game, The Martian</i> have largely been forgotten by now and in a few more years the films will seldom be mentioned in conversation other than discussing previous Oscar contending films. Those are just a few examples but there are so many films that were awards contenders but lack cultural relevance in discussing what the medium of film has to offer. I understand if you only wanted to watch awards contending films if you wanted to become a better pundit or be made more aware of the Academy’s habits of nominating films, but I also don’t think it should be the end be all to watching films. I will recommend a film that went no where with awards but find it quite compelling when it comes to the film’s explorations surrounding expectations of race and the tokenism of minorities. It has masterful performances from Kelvin Harrison Jr. (who is just waiting for his Oscar vehicle to get his first nomination), Octavia Spencer (one of her career best), and Naomi Watts. It’s superbly directed with tense cinematic shots and the screenplay contains quite a bit of foreshadowing. I would say it’s in the same style of social thriller as.Promising Young Woman with sympathetic but morally ambiguous leads. Anyways this is the trailer of the film if you are interested. A lot of films are overlooked when they aren’t popular or awards contenders, but are equally valuable to the medium.

I’d disagree with The Martian, that’s still very much in pop culture having grossed so much, but I get what you mean. I do want to be a better pundit though and understand the academy’s tastes since they closely align with my own it seems. And yes lol I’ve heard of Luce and have actually been recommended it before. Maybe I’ll watch it once I watch all the movies I want to but that’ll take at least until I’m 30 if I watch a movie a day every day…

Grammys FYC:

"Glimpse of Us" - Joji

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

None that I can think of. Although under normal circumstances, I would say West Side Story for the same reasons why I refuse to see any of Disney’s live action remakes along the line of Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. They got it right the first time, so why bother doing it again?

When it was first revealed way back in early 2014 that Steven Spielberg was interested in directing his own iteration of West Side Story, I had mixed feelings about that. The 1961 version is in my opinion an absolute masterpiece in movie musicals. As an adaptation, it was very faithful to the source material while it also successfully restructured the plot that greatly benefitted the film itself. Director Robert Wise and screenwriter Ernest Lehman proved with West Side Story (as well as The Sound of Music) that they really knew how to translate stage musicals into very cinematic movies. To top it all off, West Side Story is still the most awarded musical in Oscar history as it won 10 Academy Awards (including Best Picture) back in the day. So with all of those factors in mind, I like many people have really been questioning if the idea of making a new film adaptation even feels necessary. Especially when other classic stage musicals such as A Little Night Music, Mame, and Man of La Mancha were each previously adapted very poorly for the big screen, and people feel are the ones that deserve to be rebooted.

Yes, I get that there’s certain aspects of the 1961 movie that are nowadays seen as problematic. Specifically the fact that a lot of the Puerto Rican characters were played by white people. Which to be fair, wasn’t considered a problem at all back in the day as there weren’t really many Hispanic performers working in show business. Even the original Broadway production had white performers playing Puerto Rican characters. In last year’s HBO documentary titled Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind, they talked about how Maria in the 1961 West Side Story is one of the late actress’ most iconic roles, yet it’s one she would never get cast as today (especially not without huge protests from people). I know one of the benefits of this new film adaptation is that all of the Puerto Rican characters are played by actual Hispanic performers. Though with that being said, when everything else about the 1961 film is firing on all cylinders, how could you possibly compete with that? I think if the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, then the movie itself should be left alone, warts and all.

Though with Steven Spielberg at the helm, that factor does have me curious to see how this adaptation will turn out. After all, he is one of the greatest and most influential filmmakers of all time. Even with some of his more second tier movies, I can always recognize that there is someone with such tremendous talent like him behind the camera. I know he was always interested in directing a musical. While Spielberg could’ve done a completely original one like La La Land or brought a theater piece that had never been adapted before like Miss Saigon or Ragtime to the big screen, he instead chose to do his own adaptation of West Side Story. Although he told Vanity Fair for an article covering this film that the original Broadway cast recording “was actually the first piece of popular music our family ever allowed into the home. I… fell completely in love with it as a kid”.

So I’ll be going into Spielberg’s adaptation out of curiosity. Although it’ll still have to go a long way to be even as close as good to what Robert Wise (and Jerome Robbins) made in 1961 as it puts all modern day reimaginings of the Romeo & Juliet story to shame (looking at you Baz Luhrmann).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Respect. I know already it would bore me to tears.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

I don’t know if this counts or not, but I wish I never saw Old. Shyamalan manages to get talented actors only to screw them up with his absurd writing and directing.

I was in the theatre laughing because I thought it was intentionally terrible.. in some ironic way. But it was just terrible in every way. I genuinely think it’s one of the worst films I’ve ever seen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

lol I’m pretty sure Old will end up on my end-of-year top 10 list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

The other film I refuse to see this year is Lamb. While I generally love A24 and their films, this film looks morally repugnant to me because from the trailers, it appears to justify bestiality as a means of exploring grief. As someone who loves animals, the very idea of bestiality makes me sick and angry, so I will be boycotting that film from a moral standpoint.

No offense but do you know what bestiality is? 💀 Isn’t the movie about them raising some lamb-like creature as a child? Because that’s not bestiality 😭

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

It’s implied in the trailer that the husband had sex with a female sheep, thus leading to the birth of this lamb-human mutant child. Ergo, having sex with an animal is bestiality. I’m not even a vegetarian, but I won’t see that movie. I suspect Oscar voters will be too grossed out by it as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

It’s implied in the trailer that the husband had sex with a female sheep, thus leading to the birth of this lamb-human mutant child. Ergo, having sex with an animal is bestiality. I’m not even a vegetarian, but I won’t see that movie. I suspect Oscar voters will be too grossed out by it as well.

Erm what I got from it was that their kid died and this was “their saving grace,” and it was just some freak of nature 💀 The reviews talk about a twist happening so maybe you’re right and it is a result of bestiality, but I don’t think this movie is setting out to justify bestiality like you say and is a bit far fetched lol. But you do you boo. And this obviously wouldn’t touch the Oscars lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

I forgot this film was coming out, but after being forced to watch the trailer last night while seeing The Night House in theaters, I know for sure I will not see Jackass Forever in addition to the other films I previously mentioned. I have never been a fan of this franchise. I think these men are all stupid people who are terrible role models. One of them, Ryan Dunn, stupidly drove drunk and crashed his car, and died in the process. How these men have a fanbase is something I will never understand.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.