Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Best Original Song Predictions

2021 Oscar Best Original Song Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 374 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

I’m speaking with several Oscar voters right now secretly. In asking about the song category, I have been surprised how many are bringing up Eurovision. Some have said it’s their choice because it actually is used in the movie and is not just stuck into the end credits.

When I interviewed Lin-Manuel Miranda a few years ago, he had just joined the Academy and said he would never vote for an end credits song not used in the film. And now he will probably do it anyway for Odom, but his philosophy is definitely held by several or many members.

It’s a very tough category to figure out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

The more the years passed, the more I think Shallow really deserved that Oscars. It’s the song that defines this category perfectly. One of the best Original Song winners!

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The more the years passed, the more I think Shallow really deserved that Oscars. It’s the song that defines this category perfectly. One of the best Original Song winners!

Important to the film, great song and a hit single. It’s everything this category was made for.

(Still salty that all this applies to Sunflower too and was completely ignored in that same season).

When I interviewed Lin-Manuel Miranda a few years ago, he had just joined the Academy and said he would never vote for an end credits song not used in the film.

Integrity, we stan.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

This is between “Speak Now” & “Fight for You”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

There is a cute story on AP News about how the actual town of Husavik is cheering on the song at the Oscars. I am cheering it on. It’s the underdog just like in the movie. lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Leslie Odom Jr is performing Speak Now at tomorrow’s BAFTA ceremony. I imagine he will also performance at the Oscars. His performance at the BAFTAs will be fresh and right in time for Oscar voting that begins on the 15th.

Hear my Voice is also being performed tomorrow but I don’t think it’s win is happening.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    NameTBD
    Topics:

I haven’t really been paying attention to this category, because Husavik is my pick and I figured I was going to be disappointed (since several of the other songs have more of a message and are more “important”). But I saw in Feinberg’s latest forecast in THR that he now has it in first position (when I’m pretty sure he had it in fifth at some point), and I’m so glad to see the comments here that some voters are responding to the fact that’s actually used in and pivotal to the movie! Exactly! Not getting my hopes up too high…but a win for it might be my favorite of the night.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Leslie just performed on The View yesterday, he’s coming.

https://youtu.be/jWCSXP2dSWY

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean C
    Topics:

I ultimately have to go with “Speak Now” over “Husavik” largely because “Remember Me” beat “This is Me” a few years ago. “This is Me” ran a better campaign, won the Globe, went double-platinum because it was so popular and was in a word-of-mouth blockbuster that peaked during voting. “Speak Now” is in the same position as “Remember Me”. The song is okay and it comes from a film that was around eleventh in the Best Picture race. People like it just fine and everyone in the academy has seen it. The difference is that “Husavik” is not positioned as well as “This is Me”, with Eurovision Song Contest being even less of a factor than The Greatest Showman and without any kind of timing on its side.

I don’t see this comparison. “Remember Me” was also a central part of an extremely successful film; indeed, Coco made more money than The Greatest Showman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

And everybody cried when Remember Me was played in that final scene of Coco.

I’m going with Husavik because of what Chris said. I think it may be the big shocker of the above the line categories.

It’s sad that Molly’s name isn’t in the ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I still have no clue what to make of this category. It’s the one I’m least confident on.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

It’s one of the few times for a major awards show ceremony where you can actually make a case for all 5 winning. They each have valid pros and cons to win and lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Husavik” is the star of this lineup. Sticking with it to the end! There’s too many samey-type inspirational songs that will cancel themselves out (“Speak Now,” “Hear My Voice,” & “Fight for You”). Unless there’s a major narrative to finally reward Diane Warren, which I’m not sure voters even associate the song with her in a foreign language, I’m predicting “Husavik” to win the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

There’s too many samey-type inspirational songs that will cancel themselves out (“Speak Now,” “Hear My Voice,” & “Fight for You”).

If only the music branch had good taste and nominated any combination of “Boss Bitch”, “Carried Me With You”, “Only the Young”, “The Plan”, “Wuhan Song” or any of The High Note or Jingle Jangle songs, then we wouldn’t be in this predicament now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Hear My Voice won the music guild
    I don’t know what to do here, I’m stuck.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 374 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.