Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Best Original Song Predictions

2021 Oscar Best Original Song Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 375 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Skyler Lindquist
    Topics:

If Husavik wins, I’ll be thrilled.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I think Husavik wins. It’s crazy how ’90s Disney tune-ish it sounds, and we all know how crazy voters used to go over those songs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Someone said it sounds like Never Enough and I’ve not been able to unhear it since.

Dear Emmys Voters

Television has never been better and it’s a pandemic year.

Be bold, not boring.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

4. “Husavik” from Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga: I know a lot of people love this one, but there’s just two things I can’t get over: (a) As performed in the film it’s Molly Sandén (aka My Marianne) dubbing Rachel McAdams, which always reminds me of the brouhaha over Marni Nixon dubbing Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady (even though Nixon did the same for all but one of Rita Moreno’s songs in West Side Story); I’m shocked that got past the Music Branch. (At least Sandén will perform it in the Oscar pre-show — apparently recorded in Húsavík, Iceland of course, while the other nominees will be recorded at the Academy Museum.) (b) And an “original” song about the hometown of Iceland’s Eurovision entry subbed for their planned song, thus disqualifying them from the contest yet winning the audience’s heart? Puhleeze. Woulda made more sense if it (with all English lyrics, of course) were the song they used to win American Idol (already in Oscar lore thanks to Jennifer Hudson), The Voice, etc. Was almost dead last in my ranking until I remembered how Celeste phoned in her song.

Not sure why any average Academy voter would think about this nitpicking when voting for Best Original Song. Dubbing isn’t a thing most care about anymore, and the songwriting credits aren’t in dispute. We know who wrote the song, and we know who really performs the song. Sanden will get her big moment on the pre-show (ugh). I doubt voters have even seen “Eurovision” to care how the song was used or not used in the film. The category was overhauled to supposedly only nominate songs that were integral to the film’s content, but we have this year where that’s clearly not enforced with four end-credits songs and “Husavik.” So maybe that’s counteracted when all a voter has to do is find five song clips anywhere online, listen to them, and vote. “Husavik” is the apple in a sea of oranges, which is all I need to predict it to win the Oscar. The only other narrative here is finally awarding Diane Warren, which either isn’t a thing this year or the campaign is severely muted on Netflix’s part.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

but IMO Cassandra Coleman’s performance on Idol last night should have been used in Spectre instead of Smith’s. Coleman’s performance was Bond theme-worthy; Smith’s wasn’t.)

Off topic but Cassandra’s been killing it all season, she better at least be top 5.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

I love this lineup and I think all are deserving. Going with “Husavik”, b/c it’s effective, but wouldn’t mind seeing Diane finally get hers or H.E.R. continuing her Grammys momentum with a win here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Predictions

1. Speak Now
    2. Husavik
    3. lo sì
    4. Fight for You
    5. Hear My Voice

Preference

1. Husavik
    2. Fight For You
    3. lo sì
    4. Speak Now
    5. Hear My Voice

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

If anything other than Husavik wins we riot at dawn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Husavik for the win totally.

The only one I kinda hate is Speak now. It’s like Mary J ‘s Mighty river. They are madly talented but deserve to win with a better song because both sound undercooked.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

Husavik is the only memorable song in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I was the first to bring Fight For You into this thread as a H.E.R.fan. But then I felt the song was just ok when it was released, so I turned to support other songs.

I would say this win is happy for me as a H.E.R. fan but I think there are better choices tbh.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Happy for H.E.R.

It was not my pick but she gets so much vitriol with the whole “industry plant” comments (ironically from fans of other r&b acts) that I lowkey root for her lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Billie Eilish next year yup
    So obvious that it won’t even need a thread.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series, THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES.
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

For some reason, I didn’t know that the names of the songwriters don’t appear on the ballot. I think this is one of the reasons Diane can’t win. And makes a lot of sense why Sunglasses won. Her song title is very political.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

H.E.R. always making people mad, we have to stan!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 375 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.