Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 516 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I don’t know… Best Actor and Best Picture are “close” categories in the way the best way to promote a Best Actor nomination is campaigning the movie for Best Picture and there’s Spike Lee’s signature on this project….! I might be very wrong, but like I said some days ago, I see Da 5 Bloods following the same path as Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris: a movie that exists to honor its auteur

The problem is that Netflix has WAY too much on their hands and Da 5 Bloods response was very mixed. Also, the movie didn’t cause any buzz when it premiered. Spike Lee is now an Oscar and only person thats still on the conversation is Delroy Lindo. It also premiered way long ago. I really don’t see Netflix going with it when they have Mank, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Hillbilly Elegy, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, Pieces of a Woman,… All with much more buzz than Spike’s movie.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

What are the biggest contenders for next years’ Oscars?

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Now that it has a distributor, adding in “Pieces of a Woman” along with Vanessa Kirby, Shia LaBeouf, Ellen Burstyn to the predictions center.

Academy Award winner Vanessa Kirby has a nice ring to it.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

Waiting for Sorkin’s trailer. I think it’s my most anticipated film this year. Go Yayha, Jeremy, Kelvin, Joseph and Eddie! omg a cast

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The problem is that Netflix has WAY too much on their hands and Da 5 Bloods response was very mixed. Also, the movie didn’t cause any buzz when it premiered. Spike Lee is now an Oscar and only person thats still on the conversation is Delroy Lindo. It also premiered way long ago. I really don’t see Netflix going with it when they have Mank, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Hillbilly Elegy, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, Pieces of a Woman,… All with much more buzz than Spike’s movie.

Although let’s not forget how socially relevant Da 5 Bloods is.

I have no idea what to do with my Picture and Director line up.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

Academy Award winner Vanessa Kirby has a nice ring to it.

It could very well happen. Once you see her in this role, you can’t forget her.

Would you you call it the best performance of Burstyn’s career? Like Pete Hammond implied? (Personally) I find that hard to believe considering some of her past roles…

Maybe not the best but surely it’s in my top 3. She has many moving moments, one in particular that’s so powerful, and her character is complex and challenging.

2021 Oscar FYC: Glenn Close, Jeremy Strong, Vanessa Kirby, Delroy Lindo, Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Maybe not the best but surely it’s in my top 3. She has many moving moments, one in particular that’s so powerful, and her character is complex and challenging.

Well…then she’s definetly coming for that nomination. I’m not sure about a win but she’s close to being a lock for a nomination.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It could very well happen. Once you see her in this role, you can’t forget her.

I think she’s our frontrunner at the moment and not Frances (although I’m not bold enough to put her ahead of Frances and Viola yet in the nominations stage). I mean like I said if Cate Blanchett says it was THE performance they had to award it too and that this is going to be a career-defining performance for Kirby with more to come then I ‘d argue she’s even a lock for the nomination. I mean I am (although Frances and Viola are threats) predicting her for the Globe and BAFTA win.

Did you get to see The World to Come as well?

Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

pieces of woman certainly is a nice surprise to the race. Nobody expected anything from until  it premiered and now Vanessa is a contender and even Ellen Burstyn too.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

LIVE FOOTAGE AS THE BEST ACTRESS RACE BEGINS

(I swear if the Globes give her the win and she becomes our frontrunner but then gets pipped at the Oscars I’ll be fuming)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Amy and Glenn win it would very much be in line with the flippant behaviour towards them of the Academy to give them wins when there isn’t a proper Oscars ceremony.

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

I think she’s our frontrunner at the moment and not Frances (although I’m not bold enough to put her ahead of Frances and Viola yet in the nominations stage). I mean like I said if Cate Blanchett says it was THE performance they had to award it too and that this is going to be a career-defining performance for Kirby with more to come then I ‘d argue she’s even a lock for the nomination. I mean I am (although Frances and Viola are threats) predicting her for the Globe and BAFTA win. Did you get to see The World to Come as well?

Yes!
    I didn’t really know Kirby before seeing these two films, I don’t watch The Crown… But I’m definitely sold now. In The World to Come she has a character almost completely different from Martha in Pieces of a Woman. She’s tender, elusive, delicate. You can’t help falling in love with her. The very next day I saw Pieces of a Woman and I was impressed by the fact that she was the same actress!
    I think that she was the Venice queen for many. Most of my colleagues and friends burst into applause when Kirby was announced as the Coppa Volpi winner.

McDormand is very, very good, as she always is, but she isn’t surprising. Kirby is, sometimes during the movie watching her you just can’t breathe… I don’t think Frances has a chance to win – she’ll be nominated, for sure, but my feeling is that the Best Actress Oscar, for how the things are now, is Kirby vs Davis.

2021 Oscar FYC: Glenn Close, Jeremy Strong, Vanessa Kirby, Delroy Lindo, Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

If Amy and Glenn win it would very much be in line with the flippant behaviour towards them of the Academy to give them wins when there isn’t a proper Oscars ceremony.

Amy and Glenn are not both winning. Glenn might win but Amy will be snubbed from Lead, as she always is.

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

didn’t really know Kirby before seeing these two films, I don’t watch The Crown… But I’m definitely sold now. In The World to Come she has a character almost completely different from Martha in Pieces of a Woman. She’s tender, elusive, delicate. You can’t help falling in love with her. The very next day I saw Pieces of a Woman and I was impressed by the fact that she was the same actress! I think that she was the Venice queen for many. Most of my colleagues and friends burst into applause when Kirby was announced as the Coppa Volpi winner.

You should watch The Crown! It’s an excellent show and whilst Kirby is excellent in the first season she is truly PHENOMENAL in the second. How on earth she lost that Emmy I will never know but if she could overcome BAFTA’s anti The Crown bias in wins to win a BAFTA for her performance then she can do anything IMO.

Amy and Glenn are not both winning. Glenn might win but Amy will be snubbed from Lead, as she always is.

Hence why I said if.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Hence why I said if.

But the implication there is that there is a possibility they might both win. I don’t see that happening at all, no matter how raved Hillbilly Elegy is.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.