Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 516 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I think Vanessa will get nominated now despite the mix reviews. The praised for Vanessa is too strong. I haven’t seen an actress has this much Oscar hype for awards since Natalie Portman for black swan

I think she’ll be nominated, she just won’t win.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Anyone worried about Chloe Zhao’s position in the Director race? I think she’s safe for now, but remember how elitist the director’s branch is, and with how understated Nomadland apparently is, I’m worried she could be vulnerable, as much as I’d love to see her get the recognition she no doubt deserves.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Kirby situation is so confusing because the critics are pretty mixed on the movie but still take every opportunity to signal out how great she is. Makes me think she may be a little overestimated, just because to get in for a movie with reception this mixed, the film usually needs to be a commercial success/more academy friendly (something like Harriet) or you need to be a perennial nominee.

I can understand this but it’s not as if the film is being panned (after all it is currently at 82% on Rotten Tomatoes).

I may sound biased because how I’m rooting for the underdog but I think what helps her is that she has immense individual buzz. Arguably more than any contender including McDormand in this race and the fact that her performance has already been praised by two high profile people in Hollywood and just won a prestigious award that previous Academy Award nominees have won on their way to winning Best Actress.

I’d say the fact Academy Award winning veteran Ellen Burstyn is in the film and is attracting a considerable amount of buzz for it doesn’t hurt her either considering how if you look at critical reviews one would think this was a one-hander considering how she’s being praised to the sky by critics.

Ah well I guess only time will tell what happens with her. Nonetheless her inclusion in this race does make it interesting!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

I can understand this but it’s not as if the film is being panned (after all it is currently at 82% on Rotten Tomatoes). I may sound biased because how I’m rooting for the underdog but I think what helps her is that she has immense individual buzz. Arguably more than any contender including McDormand in this race and the fact that her performance has already been praised by two high profile people in Hollywood and just won a prestigious award that previous Academy Award nominees have won on their way to winning Best Actress. I’d say the fact Academy Award winning veteran Ellen Burstyn is in the film and is attracting a considerable amount of buzz for it doesn’t hurt her either considering how if you look at critical reviews one would think this was a one-hander considering how she’s being praised to the sky by critics. Ah well I guess only time will tell what happens with her. Nonetheless her inclusion in this race does make it interesting!

I agree I felt she came out of nowhere in this race.Its really is a nice surprise especially since people thought Claire foy was going to get that Oscar after the crown ended but look like it’s Vanessa herself who is on the way

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Would be hillarious if she missed because then it will mean Matt Smith is coming for that Oscar next year before Claire or Vanessa lol.

But yeah she seems to have an incredible amount of individual buzz. I’d say she’s locked at the very least for the nominations at BAFTA, CC and the Spirits and whether she wins those and gets nominated at the Globes/SAG depends on how widely seen the film is.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I feel Pfeiffer gonna be a super dark horse in the race. Would also be hilarious if her and Glenn Close won. Both starred in Dangerous Liasions (nominated and lost) and broke Homer Simpson’s heart.

Homer Simpson is the one who broke Pfeiffer’s heart if anything. Poor girl became alcoholic and lost her job after that

Anyone worried about Chloe Zhao’s position in the Director race? I think she’s safe for now, but remember how elitist the director’s branch is, and with how understated Nomadland apparently is, I’m worried she could be vulnerable, as much as I’d love to see her get the recognition she no doubt deserves.

I’m worried about her because she’s a rookie but snubbing a woman of color who will most likely be the critical darling has so many awful optics that I just can’t imagine this happening. Especially if a mediocre man takes her spot

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

what about strathairn ? Is oscar material or a cameo ?

I love Strathairn, he’s criminally underrated. But in this movie, he does nothing special. He’s gentle, very subtle, I think he’s on screen for 20/25 minutes and he’s a sweet counterpoint to McDormand, but his performance isn’t Oscar-worthy. Nevertheless, I think he could get a coattail nomination.

2021 Oscar FYC: Glenn Close, Jeremy Strong, Vanessa Kirby, Delroy Lindo, Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Actually I’d like to amend my statement on Kirby by saying that if she gets nominated (which I think she will) that she’s winning. Obviously there are more performances to come that could shake up this race but from what I have heard she already has an advantage over Frances McDormand in the sense that people who have seen Pieces of a Woman (even the most staunch critics) seem to think she’s undeniable and that she deserves to win. Sure her lack of name recognition may hurt her but considering how she was in a big Emmy juggernaut a few years ago in an almost co-lead role, won a BAFTA and is in a bunch of blockbuster franchises I’d say she already has an advantage over people like Andra Day in the sense that she has a solid enough profile as an actress.

Anyway like I said it depends on how the film does on Netflix. It could be a mega hit or it could be a complete flop. No one can say for sure.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Wolf I love how much you’re rooting for Kirby but the sheer volume of lengthy posts…

On Olivia Colman – is her category still not confirmed? I think if she goes Lead she risks missing entirely (same for Amy Adams) but she’ll get in if she stays in Supporting.

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

The thing about Kirby is the visibility. The movie has to be seen, because once you’ve seen it, even if you are not enthusiastic about it (I am), she’s unforgettable. The movie could very well land only 2 noms (Kirby + Burstyn, and maybe Shia: I hope so, he’s great) and still Kirby could win easily. The comparison with Colman’s year is on point, even if Pieces of a Woman won’t do nearly as well with noms as The Favorite.

2021 Oscar FYC: Glenn Close, Jeremy Strong, Vanessa Kirby, Delroy Lindo, Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We don’t know via a vis Colman. I have her in both  (why not take advantage on the 100/1 odds on her in lead) but I don’t think she’s in the same situation as Adams. I can easily see her getting into both.

I do think she has a better chance at winning in Supporting though.

If she didn’t go Lead then barring any surprises I’m quite confident in an Actress line up of Davis, Kirby, Loren, McDormand and Pfeiffer.

Profile picture
    jasperconway1
    Topics:

I cant see saoirse ronan not getting nominated especially as she has that oscar scene

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

It says a lot about this year’s race that I only just noticed this is open in the predictions center

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

George Clooney’s next movie The Midnight Sky will also be released by Netflix. It’s based on a critically acclaimed novel with a very interesting plot.

I highly doubt it will come out this year with all these contenders Netflix has.
    That’s a mid or late 2021 release.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Taking Saoirse Ronan out for Claire Foy. Have a feeling whilst Louis Wain might not do so well that Foy will at least make it into the precursors like she did with First Man but potentially this time get a nomination.

Plus if I don’t see Winslet happening I shouldn’t see Saoirse unless one or the other do well at precursors or end up doing a Margot Robbie MQS awards run.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.