Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 526 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Gabriel Guarin
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I am hoping for Fincher/Hopkins/Davis/Boseman/Close to get it. No one would be upset about this list.

You underestimate Gold Derby’s saltiness.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Hillbilly Elegy is the film I am most curious about the quality of, because I think the adaptational process going from a rather book focused more on political analysis and socioeconomic generalisations to… a Ron Howard movie will be very unreliable.

Ron Howard is a director who is the opposite of confronting, or particularly politically loaded. Even a more actively political film from him would be far from what the source material’s concept is. So instead we’re going to get a family drama, which is present in the source but not the thrust or purpose.

Will it be a well-received film? A Green Book situation of mixed critics but the Oscars loving it? Outright negative? I have no idea.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I am hoping for Fincher/Hopkins/Davis/Boseman/Close to get it. No one would be upset about this list.

If you’d told people a couple of years, without them knowing the films, that we’d get

Bong/Phoenix/Zellweger/Pitt/Dern

People would be over the moon! Ecstatic! Shocked! Joyous!

However, the reality of that season is that some awards here were either seen by some here as “the wrong movie”, or for considerably lesser career output. You can list the actors and director and have it look good on paper, but the reality is it’s not paper being served.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Hillbilly Elegy is the film I am most curious about the quality of, because I think the adaptational process going from a rather book focused more on political analysis and socioeconomic generalisations to… a Ron Howard movie will be very unreliable. Ron Howard is a director who is the opposite of confronting, or particularly politically loaded. Even a more actively political film from him would be far from what the source material’s concept is. So instead we’re going to get a family drama, which is present in the source but not the thrust or purpose. Will it be a well-received film? A Green Book situation of mixed critics but the Oscars loving it? Outright negative? I have no idea.

I really hope it’s good. The fact Vanessa Taylor is adapting it gives me a lot hope that it will be, at least, decent.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Brenda Meeks
    Topics:

If Delroy ends up going Lead as a result of pressure from Film Twitter to avoid category fraud, he’d lose.

He gave the best performance of 2020 and deserves to win. He’d have a much better shot in the weak Supporting Actor category.

Anthony Hopkins will more than likely steam roll the season with a very baity performance.

R.I.P Chadwick Boseman

In Contention:
    Da 5 Bloods | Judas & the Black Messiah | Lovers Rock | Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom | Minari | Monsoon | Nine Days | One Night in Miami | Respect | Soul | The Trial of the Chicago 7 | The U.S. vs Billie Holiday | Without Remorse

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Chadwick is most likely winning supporting. Lindo should give the lead category a try.

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You
    https://letterboxd.com/cherry123/

Profile picture
    MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

Lindo wont win in either category, he had a better chance in supporting when the film first started, cause he had the notices. Now Hopkins has placed himself as the frontrunner in the lead category (he’ll also be the only sweep this season I believe) and in supporting we already have Chadwick (and lowkey one of the Mank guys or Yahya could surprise win, Ma Rainey doesn’t feel like the type of film to get two acting wins). And Da 5 Bloods will be a no occur at the Oscar’s sans Lindo, everyone forgot about the movie and the mixed response doesn’t help it. Lindo lost a lot of momentum. Besides the film being released that early really hurt the film. I don’t think Netflix will push Da 5 Bloods too much. Lindo went on to become filler, he has not much passion outside of gd unless he somehow resurrects his momentum which I doubt very much at this point.

FYC:
    Phoebe Bridgers: BNA
    Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers: Alternative album

Megan Thee Stallion: BNA
    Savage (Remix): ROTY, melodic rap performance

folklore - Taylor Swift: Pop Vocal Album
    exile - Taylor Swift & Bon Iver: Pop Duo or Group
    betty - Taylor Swift: Country Song

Jaime - Brittany Howard: AOTY

Rina Sawayama: BNA

Caution - The Killers: Rock Performance

Women in Music Pt. III - HAIM: Alternative album

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods – 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, 82 on Metacritic. Mixed?

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods – 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, 82 on Metacritic. Mixed?

Mixed as in audiences panned it (i.e., 54% on RT and 5.7 on MC).

Profile picture
    Derp Boy
    Topics:

Just realized if Hopkins wins, he will hold the record for oldest actor to win The Best Actor category beating Henry Fonda’s record!!! Holy crap!!!

"We will always have Paris"

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Lindo was great, but I’m not sure if he has a chance at winning outside of critics awards. Da 5 Bloods is not going to be a Netflix awards priority when they have Hillbilly/Chicago/Mank. Damn shame too.

Mixed as in audiences panned it (i.e., 54% on RT and 5.7 on MC).

I would take those with a pinch of salt given it’s a film that has a theme of how America has failed its Black veterans, and its proximity to waves of internet controversy against BLM.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I guess you weren’t here when the original trailer for The Father was leaked and the Colman haters were trying to say that it was a flop (which in hindsight is hilarious considering the raves for it by audiences and critics).

Trust me whomever wins both Lead categories will be facing at least the same amount of divisiveness on Goldderby as Joaquin and Renee last year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Am I the only one who isn’t predicting News of the World? I know Greengrass has had a decent track with the Oscars so far, but I’m just not seeing momentum building behind this project. Am I crazy?

Me too.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Just realized if Hopkins wins, he will hold the record for oldest actor to win The Best Actor category beating Henry Fonda’s record!!! Holy crap!!!

And back to back nominations at that!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can’t wait for NYFF to decide whether to keep Pfeiffer in or not. Hopefully she stays in the race.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 526 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.