Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 525 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Gabriel Guarin
  • Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I just don’t see Kirby winning as of right now. We’ll see as the season carries along. Also I don’t see Nomadland winning Picture or Director.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How come you don’t see her winning (out of interest)?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Nomadland is more likely to win BP than all the Netflix movies

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Chadwick Boseman

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Plssss the absolute RAVES The Father is getting, for both BP material and even editing. Watch this win People’s Choice.

I think it’s top 6 now and Close is in danger (and I am rooting for her!)

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

I think it’s top 6 now and Close is in danger (and I am rooting for her!)

are you really?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

are you really?

Yes! It’s time she won an Oscar!!!

She should already have three on her shelf tbh.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

How come you don’t see her winning (out of interest)?

It’s just not that common for an actress to win with limited support for her film outside of her. Charlize Theron did it, but she was giving a transformative performance that subverted what people knew of her up to that point. Sandra did it, but she had a narrative that I’m just not sure Kirby has. Renee Zellweger did it, but she was playing Judy Garland. I’m just not sure Oscar voters will go for a relatively lesser known actress over bigger names, no matter how much raves she’s getting. That’s just my perspective.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

Nomadland is in such a great position atm, the way I can see Zhao being nominated in Picture, Director, Screeplay and Editing ugh

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Nomadland is more likely to win BP than all the Netflix movies

From what I’ve heard, it’s more critics’ darling than BP winner. I haven’t changed my predictions yet, but until I see otherwise, I think I’m gonna predict The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually can see Zhao winning all four of Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay and Editing. I actually think Editing is her most likely win (I mean she’s been editing it by herself because why not and during the lockdown).

BAFTA please don’t give the award to Nomadland. I don’t want you to jinx Zhao’s chances.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I actually can see Zhao winning all four of Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay and Editing. I actually think Editing is her most likely win (I mean she’s been editing it by herself because why not and during the lockdown). BAFTA please don’t give the award to Nomadland. I don’t want you to jinx Zhao’s chances.

BAFTA and Oscar will eventually agree again at some point. And also, editing often goes to ‘most edited’ and I’m not sure the editing in Nomadland is flashy enough to be a winner in that category. I think her most likely bet is Adapted Screenplay. Best Picture maybe. I’m not convinced she can win on pure merit and narrative alone when David Fincher’s right there.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

From what I’ve heard, it’s more critics’ darling than BP winner. I haven’t changed my predictions yet, but until I see otherwise, I think I’m gonna predict The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Moonlight was more of a lowkey critics darling especially compared to Oscar wet dream La La Land

Same for Parasite vs war epic, big budget Oscar bait 1917

and yet

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Chadwick Boseman

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not convinced she can win on pure merit and narrative alone when David Fincher’s right there.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Well, movies like “Moonlight” and “Parasite” were also labeled as “critics’ darlings” and they did took the top prize home. I think in another random year, “Mank” would be the natural winner (and I still think it’s the most likely to be nominated for Best Picture and it’s likely to be the most nominated movie of the year), but we’re living the years of the #AllLivesMatter and the aftermath of the backlash around female auteurs going unrecognized in the Hollywood jungle. So, I believe it will be a movie about the African-American or immigrant community social issues (“Da 5 Bloods”, “Minari” or “Judas and the Black Messiah”, right now) or a movie about/made by a woman (“Nomadland”), or the best of both worlds (“One Night in Miami”)
    EDIT: that’s why I truly believe Moonlight was picked over La La Land; The Shape of Water over 3Billboards; Green Book over Roma; and Parasite over 1917 – more than the movie itself, we have to have in mind how the movie can be perceived in the actual context.

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

BAFTA please don’t give the award to Nomadland. I don’t want you to jinx Zhao’s chances.

I have a feeling the Globes and BAFTA will go for Mank while the Critic’s Choice and guilds will choose Nomadland. That feels like a good split.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.