Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 525 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Gabriel Guarin
  • Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

The Father getting raved is the most beautiful thing this year. So deserving.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

What films do we think will win the technicals?

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

One thing I want to add: a lot of people point out how Sam Mendes won everything and then lost the Director Oscar. It’s not gonna happen twice in a row. It’s never happened twice in a row.

Profile picture
    sheilagriley1973
    Topics:

It’s really interesting how four potential winners could be from two play adaptations:

Actor: Anthony Hopkins, The Father

Actress: Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Supp. Actor: Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Supp. Actress: Olivia Colman, The Father

Hearing amazing things on all. I‘m here for all of these high-quality stage-to-screen flicks🙌🏼

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

I’m going to say this again and whilst you can accuse me of bias all you want I really think right now this is Kirby’s to lose. I think at the moment she’s ahead of Frances in terms of the win and I think whilst her film might not as big a factor in other races as Nomadland, Hillbilly Elegy and Ma Rainey I think it could still be a big I, Tonya style player getting guild nominations for its two ladies, a few crafts and an original screenplay nomination. Yes the reviews for it aren’t as good as I, Tonya but they aren’t bad either (i.e. 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, 73 on Metacritic) but both are divisive films that have been particularly praised for aspects of their writing and their two main female performances. I think Pieces of a Woman could very well break into the Original Screenplay category simply for that 30 minute scene alone (which is being praised by every critic for both Kirby’s performance and its writing) and I think like I, Tonya it could win an acting award but this time for its lead not its supporting performance.

I would say that for the win Kirby is much likelier than everyone apart from potentially Davis, Adams, Pfeiffer and Loren but that’s because we don’t know much about their performances.

Also on a separate note it might be worth mentioning that with 15 reviews ُThe World to Come has started on Rotten Tomatoes with 100%.

But she isn’t in front of Frances in terms of the win really, since the Venice rules forbid to give Golden Lion and acting prize to the same movie.

Comparing Pieces of a Woman to I, Tonya is such a reach, Yeah, entertaining (comedic) bipic about a famous figure skater can obviously be compared to a bleak drama about a stillbirth.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

What films do we think will win the technicals?

Right now:
    BEST EDITINGNews of the World, William Goldenberg (ALT: Nomadland)
    BEST CINEMATOGRAPHYMank, Erik Messerschmidt (ALT: Nomadland)
    BEST PRODUCTION DESIGNThe French Dispatch, Adam Stockhausen (ALT: West Side Story)
    BEST COSTUME DESIGNThe French Dispatch, Mila Canonero (ALT: Mank)
    BEST MAKEUP & HAIRMank (ALT: Dune)
    BEST VISUAL EFFECTSDune (ALT: Tenet)
    BEST ORIGINAL SCOREDune, Hans Zimmer (ALT: Mank)
    BEST ORIGINAL SONG – “Speak Now”, One Night in Miami (ALT: No Time to Die)
    BEST SOUND West Side Story (ALT: Tenet)

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

We need to drop the “it cannot happen because it never happened” logic. 2 years in a row we got BP winners with no SAG Ensemble nom when we all swore up and down this was an unbreakable stat, the one thing that doomed La La Land etc etc

Best Director was an absolute mess in 2000 and 2002 with DGA/Oscar/precursor splits. That’s practically 2 years in a row

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Chadwick Boseman

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Comparing Pieces of a Woman to I, Tonya is such a reach, Yeah, entertaining (comedic) bipic about a famous figure skater can obviously be compared to a bleak drama about a stillbirth.

They weren’t comparing subject matter, they were comparing awards trajectory.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Wow, I just saw the trailer for The Father. It looks like a tour de force of acting and filmmaking. There’s some great shots/scenes in the trailer alone. I think it has the potential to have some long legs this Oscar season.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I have a weird feeling Frances McDormand will be nominated for Lead for Nomadland and Supporting for The French Dispatch and as a result, there won’t be any pressure to give her the win for either.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I mean I just can’t see Kirby winning right now. Idk why but I see her missing more than winning especially since we’re in september right now, so her performance COULD be forgotten or overshadowed by other performances later on in the year and early 2021.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

They weren’t comparing subject matter, they were comparing awards trajectory.

They were predicting awards trajectory, based on the I, Tonya comparison tho.

Also, for now there is no way to compare this two movies in terms of awards trajectory, since Pieces of a Woman does not have an awards trajectory yet.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

I’m just going to say it now. Olivia Colman is coming and Glenn should really be worried.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Olivia hillaryswanking Glenn would lowkey be funny

but it’s not happening. I can’t fathom this

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Chadwick Boseman

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But she isn’t in front of Frances in terms of the win really, since the Venice rules forbid to give Golden Lion and acting prize to the same movie.

Lol I’m guessing you thought that Yalitza Aparicio was ahead of Olivia Colman because Venice rules forbid to give Golden Lion and acting prizes to the same film?

It’s very clear from the fact that Cate Blanchett said “we had to give it to Vanessa Kirby” when presenting the award that she was winning regardless of what they thought of McDormand in Nomadland lol.

Did I say the subject matters in I, Tonya and Pieces of a Woman were the same?

Gosh you’re literally trolling at this point. I feel like Vanessa Kirby pretend to fall in love with you and stole all your life savings for you to literally harass me every time I post on here about the film’s chances.

What I was saying is that both seem to have the same awards trajectory (I, Tonya being the runner up at TIFF, Kirby winning at Venice) and both seem to have similar strikes against it and things go for it (acclaimed lead and supporting performances one from a veteran star and one from a rising star, both very controversial in their depictions of two very different subject matters).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.