Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 557 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Villeneuve are anywhere near locks.

He is. For the Razzies.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I think Wes will make the deadline… I think… maybe…….. hopefully…… If the director race wasn’t so weird this year I would probably write her off, but Regina King legit has a chance of being nominated. Also, I don’t think Howard or Villeneuve are anywhere near locks. Howard might be seen as a little stale, and Dune might… not be great.

Howard I had there because he’s an established long term director, and I have a gut feeling Hillbilly could pull a Green Book.

Villeneuve I am less confident about – I am not confident in Dune. I put him there though because the Director category tends to have at least one flashy big budget blockbuster. Granted, what a film like that even means in 2020 is different. I am willing to remove him if another director surges or Dune flops.

I only have Howard and Villeneuve in my top 5 because of a lack of competition. The only locks I have are Zhao and Fincher.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

He is. For the Razzies.

Just imagine if that actually happens omg

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Yeah, even as more contenders are looking unlikely, I just can’t see Dune making it.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

The only locks I have are Zhao and Fincher.

Honestly the only lock for Director in my opinion is Zhao. I don’t really know what to think of Fincher until I hear first reviews for Mank.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trail of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Grammys: Circles (Album of the Year), Good News (Record and Song of the Year), Future Nostalgia (Album of the Year), Don't Start Now (Record and Song of the Year), Everything I Wanted (Record and Song of the Year)

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Honestly the only lock for Director in my opinion is Zhao. I don’t really know what to think of Fincher until I hear first reviews for Mank.

Sorkin says it’s great, whatever that’s worth.

I think Fincher’s a lock. Just feels weird thinking he isn’t. I don’t have him to win though.

And yeah, Dune could legit flop. Villeneuve has an incredible track record, but I don’t have my hopes up for this film. I thought the trailer looked rather silly.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Also, remakes don’t particularly land Best Director nominations…

In the past 30 years we’ve had the Coens for True Grit and Scorsese for The Departed, but… I think that’s it?

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

And yeah, Dune could legit flop. Villeneuve has an incredible track record, but I don’t have my hopes up for this film. I thought the trailer looked rather silly.

Not to mention, every Dune adaptation before this has flopped miserably. So I don’t see this being any different.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trail of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Grammys: Circles (Album of the Year), Good News (Record and Song of the Year), Future Nostalgia (Album of the Year), Don't Start Now (Record and Song of the Year), Everything I Wanted (Record and Song of the Year)

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Also, remakes don’t particularly land Best Director nominations… In the past 30 years we’ve had the Coens for True Grit and Scorsese for The Departed, but… I think that’s it?

We also had Little Women last year.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Which… did not land a best director nomination.

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Little Women wasn’t nominated for Best Director.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I thought this was about Picture nominations not Director.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

I thought this was about Picture nominations not Director.

All good. If anything, more proof remakes don’t usually land directing noms. Likewise with A Star Is Born.

(Will note, both of them probably deserved it though, especially Cooper over McKay)

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

All good. If anything, more proof remakes don’t usually land directing noms. Likewise with A Star Is Born. (Will note, both of them probably deserved it though, especially Cooper over McKay)

Who do you think Greta deserved to be nominated over? I’m guessing Todd Phillips?

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I think Wes will make the deadline… I think… maybe…….. hopefully…… If the director race wasn’t so weird this year I would probably write her off, but Regina King legit has a chance of being nominated. Also, I don’t think Howard or Villeneuve are anywhere near locks. Howard might be seen as a little stale, and Dune might… not be great.

Ron Howard is a beloved Hollywood figure though. Don’t underestimate him.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.