Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 557 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

With my increasing doubt that The French Dispatch is this Oscars year, what should I put in my 5th director slot? My others are Chloe Zhao David Fincher Denis Villeneuve Ron Howard

Spike Lee, Regina King, Paul Greengrass, Aaron Sorkin. Take your pick.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Who do you think Greta deserved to be nominated over? I’m guessing Todd Phillips?

Might be a hot take, but probably Tarantino. I’m not one of those people against him or anything, I just wasn’t too big on Hollywood. Thought it was a meandering plot and had pretty safe directing. I know other people dug it though, so whatever. They may have been trying to make up for the fact he didn’t land a well-deserved nom for Django Unchained, which I wouldn’t have complained had he won (would have preferred Haneke, but that was never going to happen). I also think he should have landed a nom for The Hateful Eight, which I’ve felt has been slightly underappreciated since day one.

I’m fine with Phillips’ nomination. He took a massive gamble with the directing style on Joker. The film has issues, but it has a distinct enough take that I think his nom was reasonable. Had he won would be a different story.

Interesting to note Phillips and Cooper helped produced each other’s films. Phillips’ directing nom and Cooper’s production nom are for Joker, yet Phillips’ didn’t get a Best Picture nomination for A Star Is Born for some reason, and Cooper missed director. Not sure if any of that means anything, but it looks a little weird on paper.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Here’s my director lineup as of right now:

David Fincher- ‘Mank’

Chloe Zhao- ‘Nomadland’

Shaka King- ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’

Paul Greengrass- ‘News of the World’

Aaron Sorkin- ‘Trial of the Chicago 7’

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Might be a hot take, but probably Tarantino. I’m not one of those people against him or anything, I just wasn’t too big on Hollywood. Thought it was a meandering plot and had pretty safe directing. I know other people dug it though, so whatever. They may have been trying to make up for the fact he didn’t land a well-deserved nom for Django Unchained, which I wouldn’t have complained had he won (would have preferred Haneke, but that was never going to happen). I also think he should have landed a nom for The Hateful Eight, which I’ve felt has been slightly underappreciated since day one. I’m fine with Phillips’ nomination. He took a massive gamble with the directing style on Joker. The film has issues, but it has a distinct enough take that I think his nom was reasonable. Had he won would be a different story. Interesting to note Phillips and Cooper helped produced each other’s films. Phillips’ directing nom and Cooper’s production nom are for Joker, yet Phillips’ didn’t get a Best Picture nomination for A Star Is Born for some reason, and Cooper missed director. Not sure if any of that means anything, but it looks a little weird on paper.

I kinda agree with you. I wasn’t really too big on Hollywood either, but I’m taking Greta for ‘Little Women’ over Todd Phillips for ‘Joker’ any day of the week.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

With my increasing doubt that The French Dispatch is this Oscars year, what should I put in my 5th director slot? My others are Chloe Zhao David Fincher Denis Villeneuve Ron Howard

First of all, replace Vileneuve with Sorkin. Dune won’t get any above the line noms. Second, I would choose Shaka King. Judas and the Black Messiah is going to be a big film at the Oscars, and I think it’s going to overperform on nominations.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dune got pushed. The budget is Too big to be released in this times. Unless, all theatres are open by December.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dune got pushed. The budget is Too big to be released in this times. Unless, all theatres are open by December.

Dune wasn’t expected to be a success even in a normal scenario.

Profile picture
    Micah
    Topics:

Also, remakes don’t particularly land Best Director nominations…

In the past 30 years we’ve had the Coens for True Grit and Scorsese for The Departed, but… I think that’s it?

Well if you’re counting anything that’s been previously adapted as a remake, then The Lord of the Rings also. The earlier animated versions are probably going to matter about as much as the earlier Dune film.

Profile picture
    Micah
    Topics:

Not to mention, every Dune adaptation before this has flopped miserably. So I don’t see this being any different.

By “every” you mean the other one, right? Because there’s only been one other Dune film. Not exactly meaningful precedent.

There was also a tv miniseries, though that’s difficult to compare. It was apparently one of the most watched basic cable miniseries at the time.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

My BEST DIRECTOR predictions right now:
    #1 – Zhao, NOMADLAND
    #2 – Fincher, MANK
    #3 – Lee, DA 5 BLOODS
    #4 – King, ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI
    #5 – King, JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH
    I’m completely aware it is extremely unlikely the director’s branch will go for 2 female directors and 3 directors of color, but it still is the most open branch and I believe last year backlash will have an impact here

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Who do you think Greta deserved to be nominated over? I’m guessing Todd Phillips?

I’m going on a different take and say that Céline Sciamma and Lulu Wang should’ve been the ones nominated. I loved Greta directing but I think those two accomplished much more creative movies, especially Céline. But I would’ve given her the Oscar for Adapted Screenplay. And for both of them I would’ve taken Todd and Quentin out.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

My BEST DIRECTOR predictions right now: #1 – Zhao, NOMADLAND #2 – Fincher, MANK #3 – Lee, DA 5 BLOODS #4 – King, ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI #5 – King, JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH I’m completely aware it is extremely unlikely the director’s branch will go for 2 female directors and 3 directors of color, but it still is the most open branch and I believe last year backlash will have an impact here

I think we’re underestimating Ron Howard and Aaron Sorkin.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Fincher
    2. Zhao
    3. Sorkin
    4. Lee
    5. Greengrass

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Might be a hot take, but probably Tarantino. I’m not one of those people against him or anything, I just wasn’t too big on Hollywood. Thought it was a meandering plot and had pretty safe directing. I know other people dug it though, so whatever. They may have been trying to make up for the fact he didn’t land a well-deserved nom for Django Unchained, which I wouldn’t have complained had he won (would have preferred Haneke, but that was never going to happen). I also think he should have landed a nom for The Hateful Eight, which I’ve felt has been slightly underappreciated since day one.

I’m fine with Phillips’ nomination. He took a massive gamble with the directing style on Joker. The film has issues, but it has a distinct enough take that I think his nom was reasonable. Had he won would be a different story.

Interesting to note Phillips and Cooper helped produced each other’s films. Phillips’ directing nom and Cooper’s production nom are for Joker, yet Phillips’ didn’t get a Best Picture nomination for A Star Is Born for some reason, and Cooper missed director. Not sure if any of that means anything, but it looks a little weird on paper.

No, deeply disagree, Tarantino absolutely deserved it, i think that if Bong didn’t win, he would have been the most deserving.

Everyone complained about Phillips getting in instead of Gerwig, and he didn’t take any gamble on the directing style, since it’s been criticized by some for being a Scorsese rip-off (see Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy).

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I think we’re underestimating Ron Howard and Aaron Sorkin.

I completely agree. I really don’t understand why people keep understimating Sorkin. Specially when the movie is receiving a huge acclaim and will be a huge player in the BP race.

Regarding Howard, if the movie gets acclaimed he’s definitely a huge threat for a nomination. According to him, this is his best movie since Frost/Nixon. Which is a good sign considering it was extremely well received by both awards bodies and critics.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.