Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 557 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Not really a big fan of the 6 acting nominees, but let’s hope this year their nominees are way more diverse than last year.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well I think I’ve found a contender to challenge Anthony Hopkins in Best Actor…

…Just saying Olivia Cooke looks unrecognisable here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFOrGkAvjAE

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I believe the last time 3 of 4 acting winners came from films from the same distributor was the 2004-5 season when Warner Bros. had Million Dollar Baby (Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman) and The Aviator (Cate Blanchett). Granted, Netflix isn’t Warner Bros., but in a year when everyone is watching movies on their sofa I don’t find it too far-fetched that Netflix can repeat the feat, especially if two winners are from the same film (in this case, Davis and Boseman).

The Aviator was from Miramax, not WB. I guess the last that happened was 1998 when Shakespeare in Love won Actress/Supporting Actress and Life is Beautiful won Actor.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

literally no one votes this way. I dont see why netflix cant win the acting races when they are one of the only viable platforms for people to actually watch movies. We are literally in the most unprecedented times ever. Time to throw out all past precedent and +stats+.

You can think otherwise if you want, but Netflix is still a factor when deciding top races. Especially amongst older voters, still holding out for theatrical films to survive.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Well I think I’ve found a contender to challenge Anthony Hopkins in Best Actor… …Just saying Olivia Cooke looks unrecognisable here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFOrGkAvjAE

This reminded me of Elisabeth Moss in Her Smell for some reason. Let’s hope Riz Ahmed doesn’t suffer the same fate she did.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

This reminded me of Elisabeth Moss in Her Smell for some reason. Let’s hope Riz Ahmed doesn’t suffer the same fate she did.

I hope this is a sign of him getting big projects again, cause there was a brief moment where he kept popping up and then he just vanished. And Ahmed is too good of an actor to just come and go so quickly.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well all I can see is it’s probably locked for Sound here and Ahmed and Cooke are locked at the Spirit Awards for sure.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

You can think otherwise if you want, but Netflix is still a factor when deciding top races. Especially amongst older voters, still holding out for theatrical films to survive.

Tenet.

Marvel just pushed a bunch of films to 2021 and later.

Thats the reality.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This may sound weird but I think we’re really underestimating the amount of indie films voters may have rented over the lockdown. I mean take Shirley for example or Never Rarely Sometimes Always.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Are you kidding me??? Mendes didn’t absolutely deserve the win or the runner-up position, it was just a gimmicky run of the mill war action movie of the moment that aged already pretty badly compared to actual masterworks of that same year (which hold up and get better after repeated viewings) like Parasite, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, The Irishman, Marriage Story, The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems, Portrait of A Lady On Fire, etc… A cheap stunt, not an incredible technical achievement at all, a bad rip-off of other films who nailed the technical aspect much better like Rope, Russian Ark, Gravity, Birdman, The Revenant, La La Land, Roma, etc… It was like seeing a bad copy of films like Saving Private Ryan, The Revenant, and Dunkirk. No one among the industry was passionate to even give Mendes a Directing win, it totally benefited from being a late breaker in the shortened awards season, that’s why it won the Globes and swept the Guilds, if it was a normal awards season, it would have never won PGA and DGA, and garnered all that attention at the time. Bong rightly won Directing, as it should have since the beginning, and if it was out of the equation, Scorsese or Tarantino should have taken the gold.

I’m sorry but I find this dismissal of how good 1917 was ridiculous. In what way was it a “bad rip off” of movies like La La Land and Gravity?! If you have a difference of opinion then that’s one thing, but to begrudge the fact that 1917 WAS the frontrunner for that awards season and was received by critics and audiences alike as an achievement is just ignoring facts.

rubbish

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

This may sound weird but I think we’re really underestimating the amount of indie films voters may have rented over the lockdown. I mean take Shirley for example or Never Rarely Sometimes Always.

I don’t know. I mean, yes, voters could totally have rented a couple of indie films during the lockdown but we thought the same of the Emmy nominations and those ended up being lazier than ever.

Shirley and Never Rarely Sometimes Always also came out ages ago and voting is still a long time from now.  I don’t see Oscar voters remembering them when they are doing their nomination lists honestly, especially with all the major Oscar contenders coming out within a week from each other.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

The Aviator was from Miramax, not WB. I guess the last that happened was 1998 when Shakespeare in Love won Actress/Supporting Actress and Life is Beautiful won Actor.

According to Wikipedia Miramax was the international distributor, WB the North American one. I assumed the latter was responsible for its US awards campaign, or am I wrong?

Edit: On IMDb both are listed as US distributors, so I guess it was Miramax after all?

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’m not fan of a 6 nominees change lmao. I’m praying Oscars don’t follow with it.

Also half of the names on Director longlist must be female, which is frankly a ridiculous rule.

I agree, and I even think there’s a chance this could make it easier for producers not to hire female directors; if they know there will be ten longlisted female directors regardless, it’ll let them off the hook.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Tenet.

Marvel just pushed a bunch of films to 2021 and later.

Thats the reality.

Marvel movies aren’t gonna factor into this Oscar race. Tenet probably won’t either.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Not really a big fan of the 6 acting nominees, but let’s hope this year their nominees are way more diverse than last year.

I actually support the idea of having more than 5 nominees in each category at both the Oscars and BAFTAs. I may be in the minority on that though.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.