Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 557 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

That’s why I don’t remove Regina King from my predictions. I’m still sceptical about her getting nominated (reviews are solid, but not rapturous), because she would be the first female black director in history. The thing is … Two female directors nominated? Sadly I think it still is too soon for a male dominant directors branch

If there’s a year for that it’s 2021. Also, Liesl Tommy’s Respect hasn’t been seen yet so if reviews are stronger than King’s or very strong, she could get in. But yes, I think it’s smart to keep King as an option for now.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

*Is this the first big shot Amazon’s had at a non-documentary/international category Oscar in a long time? When was the last?

Manchester was their last and only big contender. I think One Night in Miami will match it in nominations, but probably won’t get any wins.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/george-clooney-the-midnight-sky-first-look

First look at Clooney’s The Midnight Sky, coming to Netflix in December. I see some tech noms heading its way.

What the hell???
    I thought this was going to get delayed to 2021
    Isn’t Netflix’s plate too full this season?? This movie won’t go far with all the other Netflix movies.

And why there are no announcements yet for Mank and Hillbilly Elegy’s release dates??

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

maybe the reason they are dropping Clooney flick now is that they know it won’t go far. No point saving it for oscars 2022 if it isn’t a contender.

Profile picture
    mansos
    Topics:

What the hell??? I thought this was going to get delayed to 2021 Isn’t Netflix’s plate too full this season?? This movie won’t go far with all the other Netflix movies. And why there are no announcements yet for Mank and Hillbilly Elegy’s release dates??

I can see Midnight Sky getting in on the techs. Visual effects and sound looks fairly weak this year, and if Dune is delayed again it could possibly win. Can’t think of any other contenders.

Clooney’s role seems especially juicy too, but BA is a tough category to crack. But he’s been pretty popular with the Academy before so who knows. I guess it all depends on what the word is when it’s released. But a mix of Gravity and The Revenant do sound interesting.

Maybe Felicity Jones can sneak into Best supporting too, but I don’t know.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

A studio releasing films is hardly a ‘problem’, especially when that amount of films is 3. I think Wes & co are more concerned with Cannes tbh. If he wins an Oscar, he wins an Oscar. Come awards, I’d be shocked to see The French Dispatch eschewed in place of any of those films, even Nightmare Alley.

Also… there’s a slight (slight slight) chance Next Goal Wins will be ready this year. It’s wrapped, and comedy’s pretty empty this season. Could be what everyone needs.
    (Nightmare Alley is nowhere close though, and much like West Side Story, Dune, etc… I don’t think remakes will do too well come awards anyway.).

Well, in case Next Goal Wins goes to, let’s say February, or turns out to not be an actual contender next year, I could see The French Dispatch going to next season.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/george-clooney-the-midnight-sky-first-look

First look at Clooney’s The Midnight Sky, coming to Netflix in December. I see some tech noms heading its way.

Sounds really interesting. Clooney is hit or miss, and it’s really different from mostly everything he has done before as an actor and director. But I can see it doing well with the techs at least, specially VFX.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Manchester was their last and only big contender. I think One Night in Miami will match it in nominations, but probably won’t get any wins.

Amazon has a couple of potential irons in the proverbial fire for the next couple years. As well as Miami they’ve got Annette (2021) and Louis Wain (TBA).

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

At this point I can see the Best Actor category going like this:

1. Hopkins
    2. Lindo
    3. Oldman
    4. Hanks
    5. Clooney

Clooney is not anymore one of the Academy’s darlings, he’s now past his prime and slightly washed up (he hasn’t had a good/successful leading role since The Descendants in 2011), but who knows?? I mean they love movie stars’s critical comebacks (see Pitt last year).

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Do you guys think Sonic the Hedgehog will be nominated for Best Visual Effects now that Black Widow is moved to 2021? I’m going to put it in my Top 5 for now.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/george-clooney-the-midnight-sky-first-look First look at Clooney’s The Midnight Sky, coming to Netflix in December. I see some tech noms heading its way.

This looks like a movie that I would really enjoy. It’ll definetely be a contender for Visual Effects and maybe Production/Costume Design.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Do you guys think Sonic the Hedgehog will be nominated for Best Visual Effects now that Black Widow is moved to 2021? I’m going to put it in my Top 5 for now.

Never considered BW to be SFX contender even in a weak year but Sonic should be above BW in SFX anyway. Though Aquaman deserved SFX nom but was snubbed so anything can happen.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Never considered BW to be SFX contender even in a weak year but Sonic should be above BW in SFX anyway. Though Aquaman deserved SFX nom but was snubbed so anything can happen.

Well I was predicting Black Widow because Marvel makes it in almost every year, even in strong fields. Sonic, however, is a video game adaptation (those usually don’t do to well) and came out early in the year, but now I think it’s a strong contender with almost all the other blockbusters delayed.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

“The Midnight Sky” could end up being either another awards contender for Netflix or could fill their late December “blockbuster” role like “Bird Box” or “Bright.” At some point, they surely understand their plate is getting very full. I know “Mank” and “Hillbilly Elegy” have been touted for this fall and they’ve got some other undated films like “Pieces of a Woman,” but I’m also wondering if they’ll hold any contenders for January and February with the extended eligibility window?

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Given the lack of big budget films this year, I really think categories such as VFX, Makeup and Animated Feature will have 3 nominees only (and shortlist of 7), like they used to be before.

This case, there’s already more than 3 movies that look more worthy than Sonic (Greyhound, Tenet, The One and Only Ivan, this one from George Clooney), so I don’t think it’ll happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.