Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 557 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Then two of the other winners were built up on some epic saga – McConaissance, Leo’s lack of an Oscar.

and even these two were both real life people and had the “OH MY GOD!! Extreme bodily transformation, suffering for their art = ACTING!!” transformative aspect to them.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

People are really out here putting Holland/Chalamet/Clooney ahead of Kaluuya on their lists because “I just think they have a better shot” and then go “Why can’t things just be on merit instead of race?!?!”

Imagine watching Dune and Judas and the Black Messiah’s trailers and thinking that Chalamet looking stoic in a sci fi story is more likely to get in over Kaluuya’s already electric and transformative performance in an exceedingly timely film.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have Holland in for now but I’m sorry there is absolutely no way he’s ahead of Kaluuya. IMO Kaluuya is a lock even if Judas misses Picture, Directing, Writing and S. Actor. The amount of buzz for that performance alone after that trailer. I only have Holland in because I am not sure which of Redmayne and Cohen to put in.

And wait people think Chalamet is ahead of Kaluuya??? I- Did they watch the trailer for Dune or are they getting it muddled up with Call Me By Your Name?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

The Chalamet stans are starting to piss me off.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trail of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Grammys: Circles (Album of the Year), Good News (Record and Song of the Year), Future Nostalgia (Album of the Year), Don't Start Now (Record and Song of the Year), Everything I Wanted (Record and Song of the Year)

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

And wait people think Chalamet is ahead of Kaluuya??? I- Did they watch the trailer for Dune or are they getting it muddled up with Call Me By Your Name?

Not that he hasn’t been good in other stuff, but I feel like he’s still getting excess love over that performance when he’s yet to be anywhere near as good in his other films as he was there.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not that he hasn’t been good in other stuff, but I feel like he’s still getting excess love over that performance when he’s yet to be anywhere near as good in his other films as he was there.

Yeah absolutely. Do you remember when people on here were predicting him to WIN for Little Women????

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

Chalamet stans are nowhere near as annoying as the Gerwig stans.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

He was just good (like many other actors would have been) in Beautiful Boy, nothing incredible, astonishing, or revelatory.

People in the media and film industry really bought into the whole bullshit idea that he’s the next Leonardo DiCaprio/Christian Bale or whomever.
    At his age, DiCaprio already had a run of terrific performances like What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, This Boy’s Life, The Basketball Diaries, Romeo + Juliet, and Titanic.
    Bale had already revelatory performances like Empire of The Sun, Velvet Goldmine, and American Psycho.

To me, like someone we know would say, “it’s a hoax”.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

They’re often the same people.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    BudnP
    Topics:

People are really out here putting Holland/Chalamet/Clooney ahead of Kaluuya on their lists because “I just think they have a better shot” and then go “Why can’t things just be on merit instead of race?!?!”

Tom Holland’s film Cherry has an incredibly miniscule chance at Awards success in my opinion – although, given that it is directed by the Russos, I feel like it will be incredibly watchable.

It is almost a certainty, at this point, that Dune will flop or be postponed – either way, it’s the sort of film where the lead performance will not be where the film succeeds… a la Blade Runner 2049… another big-budget Sci-Fi flick by Villenueve… Also, I know some may disagree, but the trailer left a lot to be desired, if they are positioning it as an Oscar film.

I really do wonder about The Midnight Sky – I really think Clooney could be a good director, if he stopped trying to be a great director. Good Night, And Good Luck. and The Ides Of March are both very watchable films – the former probably being closer to a great movie… But, then, Clooney attempts to mimick the “quirky” Coen Brother style in Sububrbicon – but failed. I really like Clooney as an actor and wish he stopped directing. I want The Midnight Sky to be good – but I feel like Clooney will unintentionally make it worse by attempting to make it something arthouse-y like he did with Suburbicon. However, even if the film is good, I struggle to see him turning in a better performance or a more Oscar-alluring performance than Kaluuya will in Judas And The Black Messiah.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Gerwig’s great, but people need to stop acting like she’s a martyr. She wasn’t even the best female director last year.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    BudnP
    Topics:

He was just good (like many other actors would have been) in Beautiful Boy, nothing incredible, astonishing, or revelatory. People in the media and film industry really bought into the whole bullshit idea that he’s the next Leonardo DiCaprio/Christian Bale or whomever. At his age, DiCaprio already had a run of terrific performances like What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, This Boy’s Life, The Basketball Diaries, Romeo + Juliet, and Titanic. Bale had already revelatory performances like Empire of The Sun, Velvet Goldmine, and American Psycho. To me, like someone we know would say, “it’s a hoax”.

To be honest, the age isn’t the indicator… for me, the issue is the type of character that Chalamet plays. Yes, at the moment, he is the unique “it” actor… a la Johnny Depp, Joaquin Phoenix, DiCaprio (to an extenet), Bale… But the issue with Chalamet is that he has neither the performative range or the level of intensity that DiCaprio or Bale have. All the same, Chalamet is a good actor – but, even if this may come back to bite me one day, I do not see him every transcending to the level of an all-time great.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Gerwig’s great, but people need to stop acting like she’s a martyr. She wasn’t even the best female director last year.

I know. The Lulu Wang erasure.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So Ammonite has gone up to 80% on Rotten Tomatoes. Might have to slot Winslet and Ronan back in although I don’t know who to take out for Winslet. I’m keeping Colman in until she is confirmed to be Lead or Supporting just to get the 100/1 odds and considering how McDormand and Kirby’s performances are being praised to the sky and how many key people in Hollywood they’ve worked with that they are easily getting in and that unless her performance is badly received there’s no way Davis is a missing a nomination.

Maybe I take out Loren?

On the other hand it’s very easy for me to slot Saoirse in as that category is so empty and I had Claire Foy (who looks like she’s missing eligibility) so the closest things to Saoirse alternates I have are Deborah Winger and Lily Collins.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Yeah but he also got in everywhere while Hopkins didn’t, so it may have been Anthony.

Getting in everywhere didn’t stop Hanks from being snubbed for Captain Phillips. And that was a Best Picture nominee.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.