Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 557 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    BudnP
    Topics:

Getting in everywhere didn’t stop Hanks from being snubbed for Captain Phillips. And that was a Best Picture nominee.

I think it is easy to forget, though, how competitive the categories were in 2013… a lot of actors doing some of their best work in that Best Actor category. Obviously, McConaughey, Ejoifer and DiCaprio are doing, possibly, the best works of their consecutives careers. But then you have Bale, Hanks and Phoenix giving great performances in their already great careers. There is, also, career-best work from newcomer Oscar Isaac and veteran Bruce Dern – in movies from great directors.

I, also, have to admit I have soft spots for Steve Coogan in Philomena and Chris Hemsworth in Rush – it would, also, be remiss to ignore the works of Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station), Forest Whitaker (The Butler) and James McAvoy (Filth).

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Yeah but he also got in everywhere while Hopkins didn’t, so it may have been Anthony.

While Hopkins missed SAG, his movie was on the cusp of BP nomination and we all now how importrant it is to be in a stronger movie.

We saw lone contenders missing to actors that were not nominated every precursors, but had stronger movies. Chalamet, Elba, Bruhl…

Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

Just watched Nomadland  at a virtual screening of NYFF.Just  throw it couple of Oscars.

Chloe Zhao directed some gorgeous shots In movie. Movie truly felt like watching a Documentary.

and to the one People tend to hate on here Frances McDormand. What can be said , this is one of her best performance, how she disappears into Fern and blends  in with Real life cast .
    Winning or losing Awards won’t matter Bc this will be remember as her Masterpiece.
    movie will be on all top 10 of year. And will clean up at the Spirit Awards.

I would nominate for

Best picture, Director, Actress, editing, cinematography. UN sure of screenplay, Bc It made seem improvised so not sure how that will work.

anyways, Favorite movie of year.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just re-watched About Time (the 2013 Richard Curtis sci-fi RomCom with Rachel McAdams and Domnhnall Gleeson) and for the first time I just noticed Margot Robbie and Vanessa Kirby are in it! In the space of 7 years they’ve gone from having bit parts in a Richard Curtis movie to being considered frontrunners for Oscar nominations/wins. That’s what talent gets you!

Also I have to say that as an actress Rachel McAdams is underrated. About Time is a great film and whilst I wouldn’t have thrown awards for it she NEEDS to win an Oscar soon. In the space of four months I have re-watched Spotlight and have seen her in Eurovision and Midnight in Paris and despite Eurovision being a bit cringey she’s been excellent in all four films and it’s very evident that she has an incredible range. I mean I disliked Eurovision more or less but she CARRIED that film on her back.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Nomadland is fantastic! Chloe Zhao is an extraordinary filmmaker. Not only was her directing outstanding, but I also enjoyed the screenplay and the editing, which was all done by her. IMO, this film is a clear frontrunner for Best Picture and Best Director. Frances McDormand was incredible and she is now my frontrunner to win as well. This was the best I’ve seen her since Fargo.

Huge props to all the first time actors in this film wow. There are three monologues from these first time actors in particular that really stood out to me (one of them was from a woman who was only in the film for one scene; she had a story that referred to a sail boat) and they were all incredible! I wouldn’t be surprised to see the two that did have multiple scenes (Swankie and Bob Wells) nominated for a few regional critics awards. I enjoyed David Strathairn’s subtle performance as well. I didn’t see a SAG-AFTRA logo in the credits so I don’t think it’s eligible for the SAG Awards but it definitely would have been deserving.

I really enjoyed watching this. What a film!

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I think it’s reasonable to say that Holland could be nominated over Hanks. Kaluuya (or Stanfield if Kaluuya gets moved to Supporting) will for sure be nominated, but hanks could easily missed, just like he has several times before (including once for a Greengrass film, after making all of the precursors).

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I think it’s reasonable to say that Holland could be nominated over Hanks. Kaluuya (or Stanfield if Kaluuya gets moved to Supporting) will for sure be nominated, but hanks could easily missed, just like he has several times before (including once for a Greengrass film, after making all of the precursors).

I’m currently predicting Judas and the Black Messiah to get into picture, but I just don’t think Stanfield will make it. Not entirely sure why I think so, as I like him, but I just feel like he’s gonna be the performance this season that gets positive attention but is mostly ignored by awards.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Disgraced Eve Polastri Stan
    Topics:

I too saw the virtual screening of Nomadland at NYFF. I’ll spare an entire review, but I can at least say that despite a few moderate thematic trip-ups that undermine a lot of Zhao’s stylistic choices, it’s at least rather refreshing for an awards frontrunner given the overindicative hogwash that we tend to see populating awards season. Certainly not perfect or perhaps not the masterpiece it’s been said to be, but affecting enough to make a splash. And yes, I do think it’s McDormand’s best performance outside of Olive Kitteridge.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

me reading the last couple pages: …

I’m just messing around LOL, I’m not a delusional Stan (despite my profile) I’m just obsessed with cmbyn.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I’m slotting Holland in right now just because I like those 100/1 odds, but I’ll only take him seriously as a contender when we get a sign that it’ll actually be good. The combination of Apple, the Russos, and that awful promotional picture do not give me faith that this movie will get the critical reception to come anywhere near an Oscar.

Profile picture
    Derp Boy
    Topics:

Predictions

Best Picture:
    Nomadland

Best Director:
    Chloe Zhao (Nomadland) (I’m sorry Fincher)

Best Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah)

Best Actress:
    Frances Mcdormand (Nomadland)

Best S.Actor:
    Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey’s)

Best S.Actress:
    Glenn Close (Hillbilly Elergy)

Original Screenplay:
    Mank

Adapted Screenplay:
    Nomadland

Best Animated Feature:
    Soul

"We will always have Paris"

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’m slotting Holland in right now just because I like those 100/1 odds, but I’ll only take him seriously as a contender when we get a sign that it’ll actually be good. The combination of Apple, the Russos, and that awful promotional picture do not give me faith that this movie will get the critical reception to come anywhere near an Oscar.

Yeah the photo is terrible.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I consider myself a Timmy Chalamet stan, but the Dune predictions are lol. Just no.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Predictions

Best Picture:
    Nomadland

Best Director:
    Chloe Zhao (Nomadland) (I’m sorry Fincher)

Best Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah)

Best Actress:
    Frances Mcdormand (Nomadland)

Best S.Actor:
    Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey’s)

Best S.Actress:
    Glenn Close (Hillbilly Elergy)

Original Screenplay:
    Mank

Adapted Screenplay:
    Nomadland

Best Animated Feature:
    Soul

Wow these are the exact winners I have too.

Profile picture
    markwahlbird
    Topics:

Throwing in my personal predictions at the moment (winners in bold, alternates listed below each category)

<b>BEST PICTURE:</b>
    Da 5 Bloods
    The Father
    Hillbilly Elegy
    Mank
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    News of the World
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami…
    The Trial of the Chicago 7
    (alt: Judas and the Black Messiah; On the Rocks; Soul)

BEST DIRECTOR:
    David Fincher, Mank
    Paul Greengrass, News of the World
    Regina King, One Night in Miami…
    Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Chloé Zhao, Nomadland
    (alt: Ron Howard, Hillbilly Elegy; Spike Lee, Da 5 Bloods; George C. Wolfe, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)

BEST ACTOR:
    Tom Hanks, News of the World
    Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
    Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman, Mank
    (alt: Kingsley Ben-Adir, One Night in Miami…; Matt Damon, Stillwater; Bill Murray, On the Rocks)

BEST ACTRESS:
    Amy Adams, Hillbilly Elegy
    Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    Michelle Pfeiffer, French Exit
    (alt: Jennifer Hudson, Respect; Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead; Kate Winslet, Ammonite)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Leslie Odom, Jr., One Night in Miami…
    Mark Rylance, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    David Strathairn, Nomadland
    (alt: Tom Burke, Mank; Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7; Eli Goree, One Night in Miami…)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    Olivia Colman, The Father
    Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    Saoirse Ronan, Ammonite
    Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    (alt: Mary J. Blige, Respect; Audra McDonald, Respect; Helena Zengel, News of the World)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    On the Rocks
    Soul
    (alt: Ammonite; Da 5 Bloods; Minari)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
    The Father
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    News of the World
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami…
    (alt: French Exit; Hillbilly Elegy; Next Goal Wins)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
    Children of the Sea
    Onward
    Over the Moon
    Soul
    Wolfwalkers
    (alt: Punyakoti; Ride Your Wave; Wish Dragon)

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE: (I haven’t been following the official submissions very closely so these are pretty much just stabs in the dark at this point)
    Another Round
    Beans
    Gaza Mon Amour
    The Life Ahead
    Night of Kings
    (alt: The Death of Cinema and My Father Too; Malmkrog; You Will Die at Twenty)

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
    76 Days
    Becoming
    Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution
    Disclosure
    MLK/FBI
    (alt: Boys State; Dick Johnson Is Dead; Inconvenient Indian)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
    “Free”, The One and Only Ivan
    “No Time to Die”, No Time to Die
    “The Plan”, Tenet
    “Speak Now”, One Night in Miami…
    (TBA), Respect
    (alt: “Loyal Brave True”, Mulan; (TBA), Over the Moon; (TBA), Soul)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
    Dune
    Mank
    News of the World
    Nomadland
    Soul
    (alt: Hillbilly Elegy; One Night in Miami…; The Trial of the Chicago 7)

BEST SOUND:
    Da 5 Bloods
    Dune
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    No Time to Die
    Tenet
    (alt: Mank; News of the World; Soul)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
    Ammonite
    Dune
    Mank
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    News of the World
    (alt: Death on the Nile; One Night in Miami…; The Trial of the Chicago 7)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
    Ammonite
    Death on the Nile
    Dune
    Mank
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    (alt: Everybody’s Talking About Jamie; News of the World; Respect)

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:
    Dune
    Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
    Mank
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    No Time to Die
    (alt: Hillbilly Elegy, News of the World; The Prom)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
    Dune
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    News of the World
    Nomadland
    (alt: The Midnight Sky; No Time to Die; One Night in Miami…)

BEST FILM EDITING:
    Mank
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    News of the World
    Nomadland
    (alt: Dune; Judas and the Black Messiah; One Night in Miami…)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
    Dune
    The Midnight Sky
    No Time to Die
    Tenet
    Wonder Woman 1984
    (alt: Greyhound; Mulan; Sonic the Hedgehog)

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.