Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 325 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Jays
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 13.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I could see the Lead actor race panning out like this:

Oscar- Kaluuya

Globe (Drama)- Kaluuya

Bafta- Hopkins

Sag- Kaluuya

CC- Hopkins

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Continuing the conversation from the previous thread…

I’m not expecting Kaluuya’s film to be this big BP contender. I think it’ll be an acting play, and maybe get into screenplay. There’s not much prestige behind it. Also, I’m sure the current climate in the US and what has happened the last few months, will affect the Oscars to some degree but I don’t think every winner will be black lol. Kaluuya would be one of the youngest best actor winners ever, and unless his filmed is raved and is competitive in a bunch of other categories like BP, I don’t see him winning over an legend like Hopkins who has both the film and the performance and already seems like he’s willing to campaign.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Continuing the conversation from the previous thread… I’m not expecting Kaluuya’s film to be this big BP contender. I think it’ll be an acting play, and maybe get into screenplay. There’s not much prestige behind it. Also, I’m sure the current climate in the US and what has happened the last few months, will affect the Oscars to some degree but I don’t think every winner will be black lol. Kaluuya would be one of the youngest best actor winners ever, and unless his filmed is raved and is competitive in a bunch of other categories like BP, I don’t see him winning over an legend like Hopkins who has both the film and the performance and already seems like he’s willing to campaign.

What do you mean by “there isn’t much prestige behind it”? Is it because we haven’t heard of the director before? Because if that’s the case then we tend to forget about directors like Jenkins, Peele, Gerwig breaking through with their first or second feature and making a HUGE splash. This film actually has a promising cast and crew behind the camera as well. If the film is anything like the trailer then I expect it to be great and for it to be big, but I guess we’ll see. I’m currently predicting the film for:

Best Picture

Director

Lead Actor (Kaluuya)

Supp Actor (Stanfield)

Screenplay

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lead Actress

Globe (Drama) – Kirby
    Globe (Comedy) – Pfeiffer
    Critics Choice – Kirby
    BAFTA — Kirby
    SAG – Pfeiffer
    Spirit Awards – Pfeiffer
    Oscar – Kirby

Don’t have Pfeiffer in my predictions right now but that’s only because I want the 100/1 odds on Olivia Colman in case she goes supporting but I do think Pfeiffer will be a player this year but that she’ll be the Glenn to Vanessa’s Olivia.

Lead Actor

Globe (Drama) – Hopkins
    Globe (Comedy) – Broadbent
    Critics Choice – Hopkins
    BAFTA – Hopkins
    SAG – Kaluuya
    Spirit Awards – Hopkins
    Oscar – Hopkins

Supporting Actor

Globe – Boseman
    Critics Choice – Boseman
    BAFTA – Boseman
    SAG – Boseman
    Spirit Awards – Boseman
    Oscar – Boseman

Supporting Actress

Globe – Close
    Critics Choice – Close
    BAFTA – Colman
    SAG – Close
    Spirit Awards – Close
    Oscar – Close

Director

Globe – Fincher
    Critics Choice – Fincher
    BAFTA – Fincher
    DGA – Zhao
    Spirit Awards – Zhao
    Oscar – Zhao

Picture

Globe (Drama) – Mank
    Globe (Comedy) – Promising Yougn Woman
    Critics Choice – Mank
    BAFTA – Mank
    PGA – Nomadland
    Spirit Awards – Nomadland
    Oscar – Nomadland

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

What do you mean by “there isn’t much prestige behind it”? Is it because we haven’t heard of the director before? Because if that’s the case then we tend to forget about directors like Jenkins, Peele, Gerwig breaking through with their first or second feature and making a HUGE splash. This film actually has a promising cast and crew behind the camera as well. If the film is anything like the trailer then I expect it to be great and for it to be big, but I guess we’ll see. I’m currently predicting the film for: Best Picture Director Lead Actor (Kaluuya) Supp Actor (Stanfield) Screenplay

Director, writer, cinematographer, editor, production designer, composer, costume designer. It doesn’t scream sure fire Oscar contender when looking at the people behind the camera. I think the film will get mixed-to-good reviews. I’m thinking low 70’s on MC is best case scenario, unless it’s just absolutely raved (which is possible for any film).

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Because The Father will be competitive for other categories? Pls… its trailer made like 80K views on YT in two weeks… ppl will not care for it. Kaluuyas film is extremely timely and his performance will most likely get raved just like the film could smash if it’s any good.

I mean, yeah, The Father will definitely get in picture, screenplay, actor, supporting actress (maybe even twice, Olivia Williams is probably happening at BAFTA). And it sounds like the editing is showy so that could happen too. Director is also not out of the question, Zeller has been getting great notices and he’ll probably happen at BAFTA.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Colman is going lead where she’ll be a nonfactor…

And where are you getting this information from?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Director, writer, cinematographer, editor, production designer, composer, costume designer. It doesn’t scream sure fire Oscar contender when looking at the people behind the camera. I think the film will get mixed-to-good reviews. I’m thinking low 70’s on MC is best case scenario, unless it’s just absolutely raved (which is possible for any film).

Whattttt???? The cinematographer is Sean Bobbit who should have an oscar nom by now, The composer is Mark Isham, and I’m actually predicting it for costume design, but I didn’t include it because I left out all of the below the lines. I disagree with this take though, just because it has a couple of first timers, or people you never heard of, doesn’t mean it won’t be an Oscar contender. I feel like you were in that group that was saying Get Out had no chance at the Oscars in 2018 just because Peele is known as a comedian and not a writer or director.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Whattttt???? The cinematographer is Sean Bobbit who should have an oscar nom by now, The composer is Mark Isham, and I’m actually predicting it for costume design, but I didn’t include it because I left out all of the below the lines. I disagree with this take though, just because it has a couple of first timers, or people you never heard of, doesn’t mean it won’t be an Oscar contender. I feel like you were in that group that was saying Get Out had no chance at the Oscars in 2018 just because Peele is known as a comedian and not a writer or director.

I feel like your misinterpreting me. I’m not saying it won’t be an Oscar contender. I’ve already said that if the film is raved, then it will be in contention. I’m just not predicting it to get across the board great reviews. I’m expecting 60’s on MC and for it to be an acting player that isn’t contending for any wins. I don’t know why that’s such a hot take, I’ve already explained my reasoning.

And no, I wasn’t someone who was low on Get Out’s chances. But I guess you could say I was because it fits your narrative? Otherwise, it’s a strange claim. Anyway, Get Out was also a phenomenon that made a shit ton of money at the BO. The two films aren’t comparable. At least not right now.

Profile picture
    TeaCopo
    Topics:

I could see the Lead actor race panning out like this: Oscar- Kaluuya Globe (Drama)- Kaluuya Bafta- Hopkins Sag- Kaluuya CC- Hopkins

dreaming is free…

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Yeh sure…

I mean, the fact that you don’t even have an argument to back up your claims says it all. When you realize you’re in the wrong, just post a gif!

Profile picture
    Lj
    Topics:

dreaming is free…

dreaming is free?? he actually has a legitimate chance this year, does he not?

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

I can see the race going this way:
    NYFCC – Lindo, DA 5 BLOODS
    LAFCA – Yeun, MINARI
    CC – Hopkins, THE FATHER
    SAG – Kaluuya, JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH
    BAFTA – Hopkins, THE FATHER
    GG/Comedy – Murray, ON THE ROCKS (but then goes supporting)
    GG/Drama – Kaluuya, JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH
    Oscar – Kaluuya, JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The biggest problem with Netflix actually is not their many controversies, or the fact that they are a direct competitor to the theatrical business model. It’s that their awards season strategy for the last two years is the same as Russia’s battle tactics during the World Wars: overwhelm everyone with sheer numbers and hope at least one of them can win. Roma was so succesful at the 2018 Oscars because it was Netflix’s main focus. But last year, while The Irishman got more attention than the other Netflix competitors (and actually ended up on the fucking homepage!), Netflix’s campaign muscle was pretty much split evenly between The Irishman, Marriage Story, and The Two Popes. And then there were all those films that just ended up being sacrificed. Now Netflix is going to try and campaign at least 4 films for Best Picture, maybe 5 if Gabe is right about Da Five Bloods, as well as Actor campaigns for Lindo and Kirby and maybe a small campaign for The Midnight Sky. Voters are going to be overwhelmed by options from Netflix this year, and I’m starting to think it will really backfire in both Netflix’s total nominations (where nearly all their films except Mank could underperform) and wins. Nomadland might not win because the theatrical marketplace is dying, but it may win because voters simply don’t want to give the vote to any of the Netflix films.

If Netflix were smart, they’d drop everything else and focus solely on Mank, the same way Neon lazer-focussed on Parasite, or Universal did for Green Book. Even without seeing their other contenders I can guarentee that Mank is their only film that stands a chance at winning Best Picture. But instead it will probably lose, just like the last 6 frontrunners did, because it is only a pawn in Netflix’s Oscar game, rather than the King (or Queen, I guess, I don’t play Chess).

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 325 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.